irrflight_chung free flight simulator in freebasic

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
chung

irrflight_chung free flight simulator in freebasic

Post by chung »

irrflight_chung is a free flight simulator written in freebasic and irrlicht openGL 3D engine , with air and ground combat.

you can find it there => http://chungswebsite.blogspot.com/searc ... ight_chung

Last edited by chung on May 17, 2010 9:18, edited 2 times in total.
Aave

Post by Aave »

I though it was pretty fun to fly around. Just seems odd that Q-D keys are for one kind of turning and A-E for another, shouldn't it be Q-E and A-D?

Also, I'm sad that you sabotage irrlicht's cross-platformability by using WinAPI. There are a lot of alternatives for sound, such as FBSound and OpenAL; messageboxes look bad (and out-of-place) and I think most of them could be removed anyway (when not, a keyboard-answerable y/n question would probably suffice).
JL35

Post by JL35 »

Very interested, but when I launch irrflight_chung.exe, it doesn't happen anything... what am I missing ? (I am under Vista).
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

Do you have a DOS box pop up with any error messages or any error messages at all? Could you list the DLLs that are in the folder? its always possible that you have a corrupted file.

You may need to download and copy in the IrrlichtWrapper.dll file
JL35

Post by JL35 »

I have no Dos box nor error displayed, but irrflight_chung.exe remains active in memory (windows task manager) without any visible effect.
I have no IrrlichtWrapper.dll file, only the files contained in the zip file, particularly Irrlicht.dll (5M) and my_irr_wrapper.dll (661k).
I have downloaded the .zip two times with the same (nul) result...
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

Have you tried running it from the supplied .BAS file? everything to run it from the source is in there. That is what I I did originally.
JL35

Post by JL35 »

Yes I have, with the same result, program active but nothing displayed, except this time a black dos wide window with a blinking cursor.
I have the same problem with the irr_chung game...
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

Could you please tell us what the specification of your PC is, which operating system you are running and in particular which graphics card you have and how much memory it has?

It would be helpful to try running this short program to test the operability of the sound system used in chung_flight too I think (just save it into the same directory as (irrflight_chung).

Code: Select all

#include once "windows.bi"
#include "file.bi"
#include "win/mmsystem.bi"

print "Initialised System"

print "Opening the MP3 audio file and assigning it an aliased name"
mcisendstring("open "+chr$(34)+"sounds/water.mp3"+chr$(34)+" shareable alias chung_mp3",0,0,0)

print "Setting the volume on the MP3audio file"
mcisendstring("setaudio chung_mp3 volume to 500",0,0,0)

print "Playing the mp3 file"
mcisendstring("play chung_mp3 from 0",0,0,0)

print ">>>>> PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE <<<<<"
sleep

print "closing the mp3 file"
mcisendstring("close chung_mp3",0,0,0)

print ">>>>> PRESS ANY KEY TO QUIT <<<<<"
sleep
Also (although its rude to point to another thread from here) have you tried any of the examples from the IrrlichtWrapper package?(Click here for download details). Please don't feel obliged but I think it would be helpful in determining if it is graphics or sound and if it were graphics whether it was a particular feature of the graphics.
JL35

Post by JL35 »

Thank you anyway, I'll try all that later this evening.
FotonCat

Post by FotonCat »

I'm getting an error when program loads trees for a long time =)
JL35

Post by JL35 »

@Frank Dodd, my config:
MS Windows Vista SP2
Inter Pentium CPU E2180@2GHz
3,0G Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 7050/NVIDIA nForce 620i
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

JL35
That sounds like the perfect machine for this.

Did the program I posted work for you? How about the Irrlicht package?

FotonCat
I think the same questions posed to JL35 would also apply to you if you don't mind.
JL35

Post by JL35 »

First, yes your program above works without error, but it happens nothing, except displays in the dos black box. It plays no music (I have replaced your mp3 file by one of mine)
But I have reloaded the flight simulator and have the same result: no action at all on display, except the program remains active in the windows memory.

What I do: I unzip the irrflight_chung.zip in a specific directory (not freebasic), giving 11 directories: maps, sounds, objects, and 10 files, and launch the irrflight_chung.exe, without any result. What am I doing wrong ?

I have no 'Irrlicht package' except what is contained in the .zip file, should I have one ? (sorry, I am not very competent in graphism... nor in english language ! il vaudrait peut-être mieux que je parle français...)
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

Thanks for your patience on this JL35 if you saved that sound program into the irrflight folder it should have played sounds, this could be the problem. If you don't mind I will post a couple of very simple programs tonight to display 3D graphics and check if this is the case. it should also be possible to disable the sound system quite easily with some stub functions I will take a peep at that too and post a little later.
chung

Post by chung »

FotonCat wrote:I'm getting an error when program loads trees for a long time =)
You may have not enough ressources.
Try to remove irrflight_chung.ini file (rename it) so it will create a new one with default values (low trees number).