time to say goodbye

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Hard

time to say goodbye

Post by Hard »

hey there

at this point i have to say goodbye. freebasic helped me alot and therefore i wanna thank everyone who helped becoming freebasic what it is right now.

freebasic brought me from my hobby to my profession. but as my skills evolved, my requirements grew. i now came to the point where i quite need to use c++.

just to name a few reasons:
stability (longint >> double)
ability (dynamic arrays inside a udt - vector)

i dont wanna start a discussion here, but i really just wanted to thank you all for this neat community and say goodbye.

best wishes for the future - hard
angros47

Post by angros47 »

Goodbye, and best wishes for your work!

Come back sometimes to visit us!
technoweasel

Post by technoweasel »

Good bye. I also moved on to C(++) after awhile. Good luck, and don't forget to return to the forum sometimes.
rdc

Post by rdc »

I use both, so don't be surprised if you get the urge to FB. :) C++ can be really a pain sometimes, and the simplicity of FB is refreshing.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

rdc wrote:I use both, so don't be surprised if you get the urge to FB. :) C++ can be really a pain sometimes, and the simplicity of FB is refreshing.
I concur. At any rate, see ya later dude. :)
lemontree

Post by lemontree »

I would never use the terms C++ and stability in the same breath.
C was developed to make programming 8-bit microprocessors easier.
C++ was for 16 bit microprocessors and there it should have stopped.
Up to you if you want to spend years learning C++. It is unlikely that you will be able to do anything productive in the medium of that language.
Better to chose Java, C# or ActionScript 3, particularly if employment is a goal.
angros47

Post by angros47 »

Better to chose Java, C# or ActionScript 3, particularly if employment is a goal.
They are much slower than C++, because they require a virtual machine.

A good alternative could be D (more modern than C++, supports much features of Java/C#/Actionscript, built-in string support, and compiles to native code)
DaveUnit

Post by DaveUnit »

angros47 wrote:
They are much slower than C++, because they require a virtual machine.

A good alternative could be D (more modern than C++, supports much features of Java/C#/Actionscript, built-in string support, and compiles to native code)
Actually java is VERY fast now. the Just In-Time(JIT) compiler is great. Java is approaching speeds of C/C++ type languages. Don't underestimate the java vm!
Landeel

Re: time to say goodbye

Post by Landeel »

Hard wrote: stability (longint >> double)
http://cia.vc/stats/project/fbc/.message/3f5b28
Hard

Re: time to say goodbye

Post by Hard »

thanks guys for the farewell
thats awesome - but alas too late for me ^^
Mel_3

Is there a "Free C++"

Post by Mel_3 »

This thread made me wonder... is there a "Free C++"

If so would some kind soul post what and where and any comments.

Thanks for the help.

PS

Also would like references to other "free" compilers for other languages like "D" and others. Thanks again.
angros47

Post by angros47 »

The "free C++" is GCC (http://gcc.gnu.org): it's self-hosting (like freebasic), uses binutils (like freebasic), and Linux has been written with it.

For D, have a look at http://dgcc.sourceforge.net/
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

there are also free IDE's usung gcc, there's Dev C++ http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/
Galeon

Post by Galeon »

Java is very slow in my Linux box. I think Python is faster, the same speeds with compiled programs in my comp.
DaveUnit

Post by DaveUnit »

Galeon wrote:Java is very slow in my Linux box. I think Python is faster, the same speeds with compiled programs in my comp.
python faster than java? noooo way that would happen unless something is terribly wrong on your linux box. I used to hate java but I've really grown to like it a lot. Especially since I'm using it constantly in college. Even android smartphones run java code. it's really not that slow anymore.