Alvarian Tales Project - March 2013

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
mrToad

Alvarian Tales Project - March 2013

Post by mrToad »

Introduction Video (WIP)

03/27/2013 Progress
WATSUP everybody. Just sharing the progress here. Graphics are now a toonish style using a combo of photographs (for scenes) and 3D renders (for characters and object animations). Go here for more images. Game title will change. Story is yet loosely defined: you play an orphan girl who gets into some bad hands, has to escape, and survive on her own until she finds some trustworthy friends. You'll find you're still being stalked. It will play as a point-and-click adventure-style game except with some RPG elements, and choices in story path. There may be some voice-acting. After a long time of experimenting I've found this project's path. Still, I don't know how long until a demo. I'll keep working at it, though.

10/26/2011 Return to Hand-Drawn Style
Besides constantly improving the engine for this game, I've decided to switch back to a hand-drawn art style. The 3D style has not been abandoned, but it is a little time consuming. Even though I'm not a great pencil-artist, this hand-drawn style moves a little quicker, feels more artistic, and has a classic look. It's all about experimenting and learning, so I apologize that it may not be developing as quickly as some hoped. It's a slow but steady labor of love. I'm coming to the point where a demo should be easy though. The pixel editing after scans, including hand-dithering, is the bottleneck for development, as well as character animations which include selections of clothing. Thanks for your interest.

03/23/2011 Introductory Video
A short movie with voice-over is available now. Just a little something so you can see the engine in action. I will also release a demo soon--it would be great to get feedback about FPS. I'm itching to know if it's really going to slow down on older systems. Pardon my amateur narration, I've not done a video with my voice before. There is a lighting defect visible on some objects, especially the fountain. That will be fixed shortly. Thanks for any suggestions or comments you may have, and thanks for watching!

02/17/2011 Continued Changes In Graphics
If you're not aware already, Google SketchUp is a wonderful (and free) 3D model builder. Many of the scenes in this game are being designed with this tool. Please give me feedback on the screenshots. While I like realistic proportions and dimensions, I am trying to avoid a 3D-rendered look, coming closer to hand-drawn artwork. After all, the characters and objects of the game are hand-drawn, so the scenes should match closely and not look out of style context.

09/30/2010 Big Changes In Graphics
Found a little drawing pad in a store, bought it. Started sketching scenes and after completing a few, scanned them. Then I colored them on the computer and added some details, and I realized they looked better than my previous pixel art for this project. I've always wanted to have some good art in this game, and for it to be something like the old Kings Quest or Quest for Glory games. I'm pretty pleased with the results, even with that slightly rough/sketchy look to them. The freedom of hand-drawing on paper first is really nice. The scene-like perspective feels more atmospheric, and with this lower angle, I can actually do skies and clouds! Let me have your feedback on this style. Thanks for checking it out!

07/09/2010 Recent Development
- Turn-based battles take place on the immediate map, as soon as you enter the sensing area of a monster. All monsters in the same group engage in combat with you.
- NPCs can path-find using the A* algorithm. Since this is not a tile-based engine, the general area around them is overlain with a mesh of 8x8 squares, instead of per-pixel pathfinding. If 8x8 turns out too slow with more NPCs, might step up to 16.
Last edited by mrToad on Oct 16, 2014 2:37, edited 32 times in total.
nkk_kan

Post by nkk_kan »

well the graphics looks nice at first glance.
But (If you want some constructive criticism :P), some things look out of place.. Like that (kind of blurred) tree besides the house, some shadows, the sloping tiles of the house roof otherwise it looks pretty good :p
Mouse based Rpg sounds kinda nice but would have to see it in action to really say anything ;p
Looking forward to playing your game!
Merick

Post by Merick »

The gfx look ok for this type of game, but I agree that the trees look a little off. Also, the dark lines around the character and the building on the right don't quite fit in with the style of the rest of the buildings, which don't have those thick lines. If you'd like some help in improving the gfx I would suggest that you post it over at Pixelation:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Thank you both. The screenshot is a little distorted from JPG compression. But you're not the first to mention the tree is odd, so I think I will have to improve that. And the dark lines around the character, since they don't match the other gfx, thank you. And by house roof, do you mean that the tiles of the roof are actually angled wrong, because they are in fact.

Thanks for the feedback!
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

11/01/09 -

Have redrawn the main character so he has a little more personality than what can be had from a few pixels mashed together. Right now I'm in a somewhat painful process of working on the game art, pushing my limited skills to squeeze out something bearable to look at. AHhh, I really just want to start scripting the story. But it can hardly be done with lousy unfinished graphics. (latest picture is in the first post.)

This is the best I've managed so far. The house window positions have been annoying because they only look good up high, where the characters can't look though. Making brush and grass look natural has also been hard. Trying to give it all a more rugged, natural feel, than so polished and perfect. Ah well, more updates before long. Thanks for looking. :)
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I think it's looking great! I wouldn't have noticed the windows if you hadn't said something, but you can always blame the high placement on the rash of peeping Toms lately. Maybe you can just add a pane underneath them so they're three panes tall?

Great job on the new player sprite! I always sucked at drawing people.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Yeah man. That's looking really great. This will be worth playing, if it all comes together in a way that matches the nice looks of it. :)
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Yeah, I agree with the compliments on the graphics. But maybe try to make it consistent, like use black borders everywhere. :)
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Thanks for the feedback!

@lachie, That's the thing, I may try to remove the black border from the main character, because I don't think a black border would be that great around everything else.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

11/20/09 New features:
  • (new picture in first post)
    You can equip clothing and weapons via drag-drop.
    You can double-click items to use them, such as eating bread.
    Items effect character stats when worn/consumed.
    Items can be purchased from markets.
More about the game:
In Alvarian Tales you will become more proficient at only the skills you practice. Some of these are archery, general mechanics, cooking, healing. These will help decide which paths in the story you will take. There will not be large differences in the story, but some alternate routes, and possibly multiple endings.

Alvarian Tales will try to incorporate my idea of the best of two worlds: point-and-click adventures and classic role playing. Despite the stats system, the game is not just about leveling. It's really about character relationships, adventures, and some puzzles. Developing skills will be a stepping stone to continuing the story. Survival and making a living will create a grounded, realistic challenge. You have to eat, or you'll get sick. You will need to carry water if you venture out. The game may not have the most epic storyline of all times. You may not slay dragons, save the entire planet, or become a hero forever. But you may help, and the characters close to you will be grateful for it.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

I just wanted to mention that I like the black border around the character. It makes him stand out in a nice way to me. But, I'm a weirdo. :)
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Thanks, I must be weird too because I decided to keep it. You're right, characters need to stand out a little.
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

looks amazing cool! keep at it and good luck.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I really think you should at least experiment with black borders around EVERYTHING.
rdc

Post by rdc »

Looks really nice. Looking forward to trying it.