Prospector: Space themed Roguelike

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
magellan

Prospector: Space themed Roguelike

Post by magellan »

Hello there.

Lets try and program a space exploration themed roguelike.

ingredients:
Spacehips
Planets to explore
Aliens
Pirates
Space Stations
Special themed planets
Weapons and Equipment

In the meantime here is a little something i have already prepared:
http://sites.google.com/site/prospector ... edirects=0

Plz, try, enjoy and let me know what you think / if you run into bugs.
rCX

Post by rCX »

Cool, An ASCII adventure! It's been awhile since I've played one of these. I'll have to spend more time playing around with it. The people at http://www.ascii-world.com/ would like this.
nkk_kan

Post by nkk_kan »

hey that's cool
reminded me of my ADOM and Phantasy Star days :p
keep up the good work!
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

Sweet. Will try it out more when I get home but it looks great. Keep 'em roguelikes rocking!
magellan

Post by magellan »

Thx for the encouraging words! Will tinker on with this thing then :)

Found some minor bugs and managed to get rid of them.
Among them:
Landing on the pirate base crashed the game
Buying the last item in a shop was impossible
a small error in numbering could cause an pythonesque "Its..." when finding an artifact followed by silence.
Cant find an artifact twice for no effect anymore
Cant rescue the stranded scoutship more than once anymore

and some cosmetics:
prettier mission summary wich now also tells you what alien artefacts you found
Ancient citys now have roads and look prettier

and even some minor game adjustments
The more water on a planet the more aliens you'll find
Fleeing aliens are now slightly smarter
People lock their houses now, at least sometimes

Oh, and you can rename your ship with R and quit works on planet surfaces too now.

Link is still the same, so if you downloaded it before this post i recommend doing so again, and apologize for the inconvenience. :)
nkk_kan

Post by nkk_kan »

Aborting due to runtime error 2 (file not found) at line 78 of C:/Sources/ProsIO
.bas::RANDOMNAME()
:P
Your random name subroutine crashes the game...
And the game is bit hard for me i think.. (grrr birds..) XD
i think i'll just play more :D
magellan

Post by magellan »

Yap it does... put the compiled with -exx version up by mistake. already fixed.

Birds... yap... hitchcock knew what he was talking about ;)
magellan

Post by magellan »

Things are getting better...
Squashed some minor to medium bugs again.

added some features for increased convenience:
by pressing C or N (for comment or Name) on the starmap you can add a little comment
Systems where you discovered a special planet get a deep blue background
w+direction on the planet map makes you walk in that direction until: Movement is blocked, you see a monster or you see a tilenumber higher than 14 (wich in most of the cases is something you would want to stop for) or you press any key
Load Savegames now shows you a little summary of the game. (Hulltype, Credits & Turns)

And fiddled a little with the gameplay
Monsters now somewhat scale to Landingparty size & Equipment.
Monsters speed is now a bit more sophisticated. They are usually a tiny tad slower than you, they need more time to climb mountains than to travel on flat terrain, they get faster when they flee, and when you corner a fleeing monster it does more damage in its last defense
4 of the colors they can have mean something

You can still fight them by bumping into them, but you can also fire at them (F+direction). Gaussguns and Laserguns have a higher range than the standard sidearm.

(L)ooking at a monster might give you some info on it if you have a good science officer

Armor works differently

enjoy!

http://sites.google.com/site/prospector ... edirects=0
magellan

Post by magellan »

I think its save to say that little prospector has come a long way in the past few weeks. And some help from the friendly folks on here made that possible.
If you were apalled by its patheticness before, please give it another chance. (though there are propably still around a gazillion bugs i havent found yet)

http://rlprospector.googlecode.com/file ... r0.1.0.zip
Ophelius

Post by Ophelius »

sweet game. I love ascii rogues, especially space ascii rogues ;) I only played around for a few minutes, but I'll keep going with it. It looks promissing.
magellan

Post by magellan »

For those who are interested:

Prospector is approaching a point where it would look remarkably similiar to a game. It is approaching that point with sublight speed, but approaching it nontheless:

http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Awesome job. Just played it and managed to land on a dying star (?) with an away team. Very fun, if not a little overwhelming trying to figure out what in the heck I'm doing. ; )
magellan

Post by magellan »

glad you liked it ryan!

next version is around the corner. But not quite yet. (lots of stuff under the hood improved, and that requires a tad more testing)

But i am curious: a little overwhelming? suprisingly i heard something similiar already. I can see how you can get the impression a planet is dying (they don't, they might be a little hot though, especially near the sun ;) )

Some things aren't documented on purpose (It seems strange to me to write into the readme what your science officer means when he says "I cant make any sense of the sensor readings")

other things: well they are all obvious to me of course, since i conjured them up. I can see that they might not be for others. Can you elaborate a little? Any particular hurdles which could be removed with better documentation?
magellan

Post by magellan »

Version 0.1.3 up at http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

And since i steal everything i can get my grubby fingers on: There is a dying planet in it now :)
Ophelius

Post by Ophelius »

Changes in 0.1.3

•added the amulet of yendor
Is your story taking place in the future after NetHack/Rogue? Otherwise adding this item for no reason would be a big unoriginal no-no. I think an important and recognised item like this should have a reason why it makes another reapperance.