goodbye community

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
syn9

goodbye community

Post by syn9 »

just want to let it be known that i'm leaving fb. i've been a long friend of basic but i feel its time that i 'grew up' and moved on to something more powerful with native OOP. that and since i'm starting college next year id like to move to a language that's an industry standard.

its been fun.

syn9
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

It's sad to see you go, but I'm sure we all wish you the best. Enjoy college. I just finished college.
John Spikowski

Post by John Spikowski »

I would also like to say goodbye to the FreeBASIC community. The hostility level and no sense of direction is a waste of my time. The folks on the BCX project have an active agenda and are attracting members of the Basic community I have a high regard for.

This will be my last post here.

John
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

@John's Shadow:
I can't say I didn't see it coming. But, all the same, I wish you well, as well.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Sad, I was looking forward to your new FB projects syn9. But I guess if you want to pursue a programming career...anyway, good luck.
DaveUnit

Post by DaveUnit »

sad to see you go, man.
just starting college? how old are you?
Conexion

Post by Conexion »

Gawww.... time to make FB an industry standard so we can keep him :D

Understandable. Not that OOP is the end-all-be-all (But that is another thread :P) ... But I hope you have a successful career in programming!
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

good luck with your future projects, hope they will look even more awesome than what you did already, no matter what language they are done in.
Kot

Post by Kot »

Hope we will see you here again... as a developer? ;)
nkk_kan

Post by nkk_kan »

Ah, We will miss your stylish and exciting games :)
I was still hoping you'd complete Aphex Razor someday, but since you're leaving i guess that's not possible now..
Anyways, Good luck with your future projects!
E.K.Virtanen

Post by E.K.Virtanen »

I have had lots of fun from your games. It is easy to believe that you will have a great future in programming scene. Thumbs up!
livewire

Post by livewire »

I have a Bachelor's and Master's degree in Computer Engineering (age 26) and I use FreeBASIC (at work) about as often as I use the other languages (C++, C#, Java, etc.).

Better than knowing how to program in one language is knowing which programming language minimizes your effort and maximizes your output.

FreeBASIC and AutoIt are directly related to my overall understanding of programming (including object-oriented programming). These languages give a good foundation for understanding other languages also.

You don't have to 'give up' a language to gain another. Just keep adding them to your repertoire.

-Livewire
pr0gger

Post by pr0gger »

syn9,

Sad to see you go. In a way, I don't blame you -- it's hard to get any respect when you're writing code in a BASIC dialect (even if you're like me, and your field has very little computer science). Livewire's right, though.

I've always looked forward to your games, so I'm glad you're keeping your website up.

Good luck in college, and have fun out there.
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

Syn9: Thanks for everything you shared with us. I remeber your old isometric Vampira from the good old days...that made me think "everything is possible with basic"...but Griffon Legends is the game I'll remember you about. Amazing game and perhaps the best game so far made using Freebasic...

Anyways, have a great life and good luck with your future!
Deleter

Post by Deleter »

Think I'm following syn9 out the door. I agree with whomever said that it is useful to have different tools in your belt. However, at this point, freebasic is like that really old, rusty, and completely outdated tool that you only keep around because you had fun with it when you were young. Developers are occupied with real life, the compiler has no direction, the forum is decaying. Definitely had its better days. Thanks for those better days, but like syn9 its time to move my development efforts over to more modern, supported, and functional languages.