FBGD Retro 2008 Competition(closed; entries are being rated)

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Alterac

Post by Alterac »

I think the grid should be fine, there is no rule saynig that you have to put the blocks right next to each other.

Could still be a 8x8 px square, but with spaces between them. Except I dont think it would fit in a 640x480 window.

Yea, It wont work properly, in order to have 80x60 8x8 blocks it takes the entire screen. So I doubt the grid would be acceptable.
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

Well you don't have to take up the whole screen according to the rules, so you could have less than 80x60 px. And I forgot, the official rules don't say it has to be 8 pixels per cycle, but it has to be a minimum of 8 pixels per cycle. So technically that's within the rules, so long as the blocks themselves are eight pixels of one color (now if you tried to put the black border around each block as part of the block itself, making the actual colored portion of the block only 6x6, that would be illegal).
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I like the gridded version and I can't wait to play golf! : )

And fwiw, I don't read the rules indicating you can't use black pixels as part of your graphical unit... if you made them 8x8 with a grid around them you wouldn't very well be emulating 80x60 screen res either.
Conexion

Post by Conexion »

Well I'll put the grid as a possible option in the option menu but not have it by default unless Lachie says otherwise :) I don't wanna be an 'exception' to the rules. Rules are rules for a reason!
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Yeah, the grid is technically outside the rules. And I think I was pretty clear about pseudo-resolution rule. You have to use 8x8 pixels. For example, an 9x9 pixel would be out of rules. Maybe I wasn't clear about this. I'll recheck my rules and clarify some of this if needed.

To be honest, I don't want to add more ambiguity to rules, and a grid consisted of the regular 1x1 pixels would confuse the situation.

You are free to use a grid, but IT HAS TO BE OPTIONAL. Don't make the grid the part of your pseudo-pixels. Just use a two sets of LINE statements (for the horizontal and vertical lines) and put then in two FOR loops at the end of your drawing. That way you can apply on/off option easily.

EDIT:

Ok, I rephrased the main rule regarding pseudo-resoultion to make it clearer.

Also, I altered a bit the rule about loading graphics from image files. I pointed out that you can use sprites consisted of "normal" 1x1 pixels, but these pixels then need to be "blown-up" to 8x8 size inside your program (on any way you want). Sorry if the original rule slow down someone by forcing them to draw sprites consisted of 8x8 pixels. Then again it's pretty easy to scale your image files by 8:1. Oh, well. Whatever is easier for you.
Conexion

Post by Conexion »

Hah, well I didn't mean to make things complicated :) Sorry!

From a technical standpoint, (just so ya know), the grid isn't actually drawn but my enlarging method allows it :P It will be off by default.
Mentat

Post by Mentat »

Whew, just finished terrain.

Now for minor stuff.
ssjx

Post by ssjx »

Wow, if Conexions entry plays as good as it looks then i think he's probably won this comp!

In case people don't venture over to the FBGD site, my entry is a racer and here's the link:

http://ssjx.co.uk/windows/racer.php

I've been putting update notices at the fbgd site.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Hrm, let us not declare a winner while the competition is running. I want everybody who decided to participate to give their best and not feel apathic about certain entry that looks good, but might or might not play that good. So...give me your best.

Anyway, we are somewhere in the middle of the competition, so allow me to recap it by mentioning all who posted info about their possible entries or work in progress:

ssjx – a motorcycle driving game (playable demo available)
Mysoft – a football arcade game (tested a private interactive program)
Conexion – a golf game ((mock-up) images and a screenshot posted so far)
LukeL – a pacman game (tested a private interactive program)
Mentant – a turn-based strategy game (screenshot posted)
notthecheatr – a space game (screenshot posted)
Dr_D – a 3D game (planned)
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Well, here's what I'm working on. It's an ASCII FPS! lol

There is a readme included... you'll probably need it since it's hard to tell what's going on with these limited colors. :/

demo.zip
Mentat

Post by Mentat »

Dr_D wrote:Well, here's what I'm working on. It's an ASCII FPS! lol

There is a readme included... you'll probably need it since it's hard to tell what's going on with these limited colors. :/

*images*
That looks real cool.
nkk_kan

Post by nkk_kan »

rad! i like the chr(1) one ;P
ssjx

Post by ssjx »

Cool game Dr_D, the wobbly men are very funny!
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

Cool, but is it according to rules to use ASCII?
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Well, the rules say 8x8 pixels at 4 bit ega palette color. FB's default font is 8x8, and chr(219) is just a block. I dunno... seems like it to me, but I guess Lachie will have to decide that, since it's his competition. If it isn't allowed, I'll just change it to use the line(filled box) command. ;)