Unable To Locate Component - dll not found

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
jsherk

Unable To Locate Component - dll not found

Post by jsherk »

I'm new to fb, and I just installed the newset versions of Freebasic and FBEdit, but whenever I try to compile any of the examples, I always get a error message saying that it is unable to locate a component, and that some .dll file is missing.

For example, compiling FreeBASIC\examples\Gtk\filechooser_test.bas from FBEdit says:

filechooser_test.exe - Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to start because libglade-2.0-0.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

It does this with ALL the examples I try (except it will show a different dll file missing). Do I need to download all these missing dll files, or do I need to change a path to somewhere else? I searched my computer, and these dll files do not exist on my computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
maddogg6

Post by maddogg6 »

yes - you need to D/L the lib executable thats used... GTK has theirs, others like Allegro, FMOD etc... all have their own.

The sticky note at the top of the LIBRARIES sub-forum here have links to all the 3rd party lib dev websites.
jsherk

Post by jsherk »

Thanks maddogg6...

I went to the GTK website, and downloaded the binaries for GTK+ v2.12.11 for Windows.

I unzipped the file, but there are multiple sub-directories and multiple files, some of them are dll and some are not.
What do I do with this folder & subfolders? Do I need all these files? Where do I put the folder or files?

Thanks

Using Win XP Pro sp2 with fb 0.18.5 and fbedit 1.0.6.1
maddogg6

Post by maddogg6 »

jsherk wrote:Thanks maddogg6...

I went to the GTK website, and downloaded the binaries for GTK+ v2.12.11 for Windows.

I unzipped the file, but there are multiple sub-directories and multiple files, some of them are dll and some are not.
What do I do with this folder & subfolders? Do I need all these files? Where do I put the folder or files?

Thanks

Using Win XP Pro sp2 with fb 0.18.5 and fbedit 1.0.6.1
well - I was just looking... and I am over my head here with this one, my best guess is to place all of the DLL's in the directory where the compiled EXE would go ?? - thats what I have done with other examples using FMOD, allegro, etc.. (was MUCH simpler than GTK btw) Hopefully an expert will chime in with some details on this.

But I do know some cases of *other* dependencies for GTK and that getting the 'bundle' could be needed.. ?? but like I said, I am confused here as well.
maddogg6

Post by maddogg6 »

Ok - just to run the 'arrow.bas' example in the 'Examples/GTK/Tutorials' folder...

I had to DL the following files, and copy the dll's in the BIN folder to the folder with all those tutorial .bas files.
GLib
GTK+
Pango
Cairo

And... (3rd party files..)

LibPng
win_iconv DLL

So it *needs* the dll's in the BIN folders you downloaded.

Theres 15 dlls' I d/l and copied from the bin folder of the BINARY distribution archives.

Get the bundle - and copy all the dll's from the BIN folder(s) to the examples/gtk/tutorial folder. Just to make sure any/all dependencies are taken care of.

edit: I just looked again - and copying to windows/system32 folder may not be a great idea - ZLib, and JPEG dllds may overwrite and cuase version conflicts for other programs you may or maynot be using... ??? /edit