FreeBASIC wikipedia article flagged for notability

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Peter

FreeBASIC wikipedia article flagged for notability

Post by Peter »

Forgive me if this is mentioned elsewhere, I don't usually lurk this forum but I am an FB user and just noticed this issue.

The FreeBASIC article on wikipedia now sports a notability notice suggesting FB may not be notable enough for inclusion therein. I believe that this is the first step in the process of deleting an article from that compendium. I myself am not certain what the process is to fight such a decision but I'm sure some else here does.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Thanks for pointing that out, we should have noticed that...

Wikipedia editors generally don't need any special privileges - or even a login - to add or remove tags like that in articles, so it's only a very small step on the road to deletion, and only really carries as much authority as the person who put it there.
Interestingly, the IP address who added the notability tag to FB's article, also tried to have one removed from the recently started QB64 article.
Apparently that same IP address has also been used by an anonymous spelling/grammar heckler on QB64's forum.

I think my suggestion would be to just ignore and remove the tag, given the lack of impartiality from the person who added it.
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

counting_pine wrote:Apparently that same IP address has also been used by an anonymous spelling/grammar heckler on QB64's forum.
I think he started the QB64 Wikipedia article, too. -(o.o);
Respect for the banana juice and chess stacking. ;-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Dmcc
badmrbox

Post by badmrbox »

Clippy?
KristopherWindsor

badmrbox wrote:Clippy?
Qbguy, actually. Clippy isn't in middle school anymore (oddly enough). :-P
Z!re

Post by Z!re »

[Content removed at author's request]
Crono_R

Post by Crono_R »

Z!re wrote: At least I haven't seen any notable paper-magazines/tv-stations or other such sources mention FB that much (Read: at all.)
http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10235
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

A cursory search in Amazon turned this up. Does this count as "In Print"?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1933804 ... RSj9c%253D

-Vince
Z!re

Post by Z!re »

counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Z!re wrote:Shouldn't this topic be in community discussion?
OK, I've moved it.

If you're actually concerned about whether FreeBASIC is notable enough for a Wikipedia article though, then you'd be well advised to not waste your breath getting pedantic about people's counter-arguments. Crono_R was a little terse, but I'd say the link was self-explanatory.
Crono_R

Post by Crono_R »

Z!re wrote:
Crono_R wrote:
Z!re wrote: At least I haven't seen any notable paper-magazines/tv-stations or other such sources mention FB that much (Read: at all.)
http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10235
Hi! :D
Yeah like a question is relevant for quoting someone when only posting URL's (8th post)
Z!re

Post by Z!re »

counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Z!re wrote:gee, excuse me for explaining why it was marked as lacking notability.
There was nothing wrong with explaining why it was marked, but your response to Crono_R's argument was unnecessary.

(@Crono_R, please don't continue this. I'll remove any subsequent posts of this nature.)

I've read the rules, and I believe that FB is notable enough for inclusion on WP. Maybe the overall point should be, though, that it's hard for any member of the FB community or the QB64 community to objectively say how notable FB is.
maddogg6

Post by maddogg6 »

counting_pine wrote:Thanks for pointing that out, we should have noticed that...

I think my suggestion would be to just ignore and remove the tag, given the lack of impartiality from the person who added it.
As per the rules....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... o_deletion
You must not modify or remove the AfD notice.
Not sure what the punishment is for removing that tag..??

did I read somewhere that FB was packaged with some linux distro? maybe that could be added (unless that never happened :D)

.... I'm thinking - the purpose for the notoriety category (not the only reason for deletions btw) - was to address those anticipated (nobodies) who would clutter wikipedia with their own biographies - and in the case of FB - I think, was not used correctly.

edit: seems like notoriety is used with people... or physical things
1 : the quality or state of being notorious
2 : a notorious person

Im not sure how a compiler in its self can be literally notorious, nor is it a 'person'. - a good argument to try anyway /edit.
KristopherWindsor

FWIW, many Source Forge projects have Wikipedia articles without worrying about notability.