Firefox 3 Day - Today!

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
KristopherWindsor

Firefox 3 Day - Today!

Post by KristopherWindsor »

It's Firefox 3 (release) day!
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
:-)
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

hush...what are you trying to do, start a flame war?

DaBooda out...

P.S. WhooHoo!!
roook_ph

good

Post by roook_ph »

hope this one has flash support
DaveUnit

Post by DaveUnit »

Firefox has always had flash support...
Sisophon2001

Post by Sisophon2001 »

I run FireFox under Linux, and have had version 3 for several days. I am happy to tell you the Flash plug-in works, but an sad to report that if you open more than three tabs with flash windows, then the system slows to a near stop. Not good. I hope you have better luck with your operating system.

Garvan
DaveUnit

Post by DaveUnit »

I've noticed that flash problem under windows but not under linux. Overall Firefox 3 is a very nice improvement on Firefox 2.
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

I think that "problem" is due to the CPU use of each Flash window open. If each Flash file wants 50% of the CPU, 50% * 3 > 100% => slowdown. I don't see a solution for that. ;-)
But Flash files that are CPU-friendly such as http://bike.toyspring.com/game.php?g=128690 will not cause the freezing effect; I can open that in five different tabs without a slowdown. :-)
Deleter

Post by Deleter »

I'll be happy with it once all of my addons I had for ff2 work under ff3...
joseywales72

Post by joseywales72 »

Not sure where I have read but (probably on Digg), an hardware accelerated version of Flash plugin is in the works. If it is realized, our flash related woes would come to an end. Btw, flash related slowdown can be observed in IE7 too. (Being it already slow, you cannot pinpoint the culprit to flash)
marcov

Post by marcov »

Hmm, the first experience is sobering. The new "security" stuff blocks an entire domain because somewhere on a wiki page on a subdomain (xx.yy.org) for a short while a link to malware existed. We are still trying to get it delisted after days.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Well, I downloaded and switched. Import bookmarks from IE was a pleasent surprise. Don't like how bookmarks look like in FireFox though.

I better not regret this.
DaveUnit

Post by DaveUnit »

well it's not like it'll be hard to switch back lachie. I think you'll like how firefox is a good broswer unlike ie. :P
Ravey

Post by Ravey »

Opera is definately my favourite web browser between IE, FireFox and Opera. Though i'll try FireFox3.
adhay

Post by adhay »

According to Spy Doctor, no new infections since installing FF3 on the 18th. With FF2, I regularly fixed 50-100 imperfections. FF3 is generally faster than FF2 which beat IE7 hands down.

My only complaint is a hotmail inbox formatting anomaly which (so far) I easily live with. Perhaps it's an improvement:)
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

firefox is only powerful because of it's extensions.

BUT i really like some of those extensions and that's why i like firefox. if opera had the same extensions, i'd use opera.