MULTIKEY missing on page FBWiki : CatPgInput [SOLVED]

Forum for discussion about the documentation project.
Trinity

MULTIKEY missing on page FBWiki : CatPgInput [SOLVED]

Post by Trinity »

I would just like to report hat there is no reference and description of MULTIKEY ( https://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.ph ... PgMultikey ) on the FBWiki : CatPgInput page ( https://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.ph ... CatPgInput ) .
That looks as missing to me (correct me I have a wrong perception of what ought to be on page FBWiki : CatPgInput page .

Also please advice if there is a better or more correct way for me to report stuff like this than to open a new topic here every time I find what looks to me as something missing or erroneous in documentation...
In theory I could edit the FBWiki myself if I had access to do so but I do not think that I have knowledge enough about FB yet to complete descriptive entries there yet , though I could make remarks on pages to report stuff like this (if possible) if that would be helpful instead.
Last edited by Trinity on Sep 23, 2017 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
fxm

Re: MULTIKEY missing on page FBWiki : CatPgInput

Post by fxm »

There is another catalog page that groups together the Mouse and Joystick Inputs (GetMouse, SetMouse, GetJoystick, Stick, Strig) and the Keyboard Input (MultiKey):
User Input Functions
Trinity

Re: MULTIKEY missing on page FBWiki : CatPgInput

Post by Trinity »

OK , thank you , and sorry for any inconvenience.
speedfixer

FLAME

Post by speedfixer »

The op might be satisfied.

"
User Input
Statements and procedures that get input from the user.

"

These are the first lines of the page he referenced.
Mouse input is NOT input from the user?

Why do you always first have to say 'NO' ?

Why do you have to make the new people work so hard?

These are reference pages and someone should not have to hunt and hunt to find these simple relationships.
Are you TRYING to make it difficult for new people?

I try hard to stay away, now, because it seems most other older users here seem to accept that this attitude is OK.
All the rest of you: just give up trying to get new people into FB if the primary doc maintainer treats people this way.

Ridiculous
fxm

Re: MULTIKEY missing on page FBWiki : CatPgInput [SOLVED]

Post by fxm »

I simply showed the current state of the documentation without judging its quality or the relevance of the question asked.
I am not responsible for the documentation (I am working on documentation for several years, because few people have taken it in charge, even now).

I would urge you to withdraw your last sentence, which I regard as a personal insult.
(there is no better way to push me to stop participating in the life of this site)
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

fxm wrote:I simply showed the current state of the documentation without judging its quality or the relevance of the question asked.
I am not responsible for the documentation (I work there for several years because few people took care of it or still do it now).
I think that at first I perceived what you wrote as a "no" like speedfixer did but while I were unsure if the MULTIKEY ought to be on one page or the other then I did not think that I had the necessary experience with the FB language to question it.
Also I am painfully aware that it usually are the few that do the work that benefit the many. And while there may still be a lot to do , also in documentation then personally I am impressed by how much work that has been done. So from me : thank you :-)
speedfixer wrote:The op might be satisfied.
<-------------SNIP------------>
Why do you always first have to say 'NO' ?
Why do you have to make the new people work so hard?
<-------------SNIP------------>
I get your point completely and I have not been here long enough to know how stuff have been for you and what your frame of reference is in connection with that.
However while I also as you first perceived what fxm wrote to me as a "no" then reading what fxm wrote to you then I realize that the answer given to me might as well just have been an answer there simply showed the current state of the documentation without judging its quality , which still could leave room for discussion if one wants to discuss. But with respect to discussions then first we ought to look at ourselves. I personally have had a very hard life and so many IRL have treated me so bad and so poor over so long time so in the end that made me tend to see situations more with focus of what bad people did rather than what good they were doing and I had more focus on what people didn't do rather than what they did do when it came to what I wanted. But lately I begun to try to relax more and at least try to see on brighter side of things and also try to be a little more understanding than I have been (though my tolerance for $%#@ behavior still is very low ;-) :-D ) .
Anyway , my point is that perhaps we ought to put our focus on all that we have been given by the FB Developers/Team/community/and so on , and be grateful for it , rather than focusing what we have not been given. And in connection with that also remember how much has been done and how much are being done continuously , including reading and answering our posts here - it all takes time and effort ;-)
Also anything new we would like or changes we would like also takes work and time ;-)

Personally I like when people try to see things my way and I like if people are in favor of what I like (thank you) but I also think that we all ought to do our best to act with a positive attitude and be at least civil to each other :-)

Thank you and have a nice day / evening / night whatever time is at your place :-)
Last edited by Trinity on Sep 24, 2017 9:59, edited 1 time in total.
fxm

Post by fxm »

On the "Functional Keyword List" main page, all these 12 keywords are well grouped in the "User input" same section.

But, more down in the functional tree, these 12 keywords are split inside two different pages, according to their origins from the home web page ("FreeBASIC Manual"):
- Runtime Library Reference
- Graphics Library Reference

This above explains why, currently, the input functions of the user are then divided into 2 functional parts.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Before a subsequent modification, perhaps we could just precise the library in reference for each of the 2 concerned pages:

CatPgInput:
User Input from Runtime Library
Statements and procedures (from runtime library) that get input from the user.

CatPgGfxInput:
User Input Functions from Graphics Library
Procedures (from graphics library) for working with mice, gaming devices and keyboards.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

fxm wrote: But, more down in the functional tree, these 12 keywords are split inside two different pages, according to their origins from the home web page ("FreeBASIC Manual"):
- Runtime Library Reference
- Graphics Library Reference
Thanks ! I think that tells where the logic either triumphs or fails depending on vantage point or school of logic.
The logic you refer to is for me like the logic of necessity (because that's how it's made - or something like that).....
I have this huge urge to jump into a grand discussion about how things ought to be done but I will refrain from that because that it will not change anything and also FB's origin were QB as far as I know so even that legacy tied the hands of developers in their creation.
Subsequently the kind of "logic" that is used in the documentation will tend to follow the "logic" of the creation of the language .
Last edited by Trinity on Sep 24, 2017 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

fxm wrote: CatPgInput:

CatPgGfxInput:
Procedures (from graphics library) for working with mice, gaming devices and keyboards.
I am not sure that the font size of the red text is written large enough for other users to understand that you mean to emphasize it ;-) (ironically joking lightly)
fxm wrote:Before a subsequent modification, perhaps we could just precise the library in reference for each of the 2 concerned pages:
I had "precise" the same problem making that sentence as you had ;-) (honestly ! , I had no idea that our languages were so close in "logic" - must be the Latin root (?) )
Anyway , I must refer to my previous post : School of "logic" in doc builds on school of logic in dev who builds on school of "logic" in . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Last edited by Trinity on Sep 24, 2017 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Trinity wrote:I am not sure that the font size of the red text is written large enough for other users to understand that you mean to emphasize it ;-) (ironically joking lightly)
Just because in documentation, the title of each page is in larger font.
fxm

Post by fxm »

About my previous proposal (precised library reference):
fxm wrote:Before a subsequent modification, perhaps we could just precise the library in reference for each of the 2 concerned pages:

CatPgInput:

CatPgGfxInput:
Given the lack of approval from other users, I do not update anything right away to avoid being insulted again!
Last edited by fxm on Sep 24, 2017 15:00, edited 2 times in total.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

KeyPgScreenevent:
User Input and Screen Events from Graphics and Runtime Library
Statements and procedures (from graphics and runtime library) that get keyboard, mouse and window related events.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

fxm wrote: Given the lack of approval from other users, I do not update anything right away to avoid being insulted again!
Your answer were to a quote of your own post !
Would you care to elaborate ?
fxm

Post by fxm »

D.J.Peters wrote:KeyPgScreenevent :
User Input and Screen Events from Graphics and Runtime Library
Statements and procedures (from graphics and runtime library) that get keyboard, mouse and window related events.
I don't understand what you propose (the above link is the one of the SCREENEVENT page).