Wiki improvements

Forum for discussion about the documentation project.
fxm

Re: Wiki improvements

Postby fxm » Mar 14, 2019 6:27

These values (&h5B, &h5C, &h5D) appear in fbgfx.bi (instead of &h7D, &h7E, &h7F) from the fbc version 0.18.3b.

In the changelog.txt (version 0.18.3 beta), we find this fix:
- #1813104 - scancodes for SC_LWIN(&h5b), SC_RWIN(&h5c), SC_MENU(&h5d), are now same in both gfx/console modes and on all platforms (jeffm)

So it would seem that the documentation was not updated accordingly at the time!
coderJeff
Site Admin

Postby coderJeff » Mar 16, 2019 21:25

Yes, wiki is wrong. Values were changed in 2007 and wiki never updated. inc/fbgfx.bi is correct.

Some explanation:

fb's scancodes come from legacy DOS use (which would have typically been the raw values returned by keyboard controller port &h60). The actual values used by the operating system (keyboard driver) probably won't match every value same as DOS. However, the intent is that from user's point of view, fbc's scancodes, both the symbolic name, and numeric value will work the same on all platforms where fbc is compiled. i.e. cross compatible code.

On linux & win can see private mappings between fbgfx's scancodes and the system's keycodes:
src/rtlib/linux/io_multikey.c
src/rtlib/win32/io_multikey.c

A user may find that for some keys, fb's scancodes won't match scancodes returned by direct system calls. I didn't check which ones are different, and I don't think it would be meaningful information for most users using MULTIKEY.
badidea

Postby badidea » Mar 16, 2019 22:15

I have updated the 3 scancodes on the wiki. I left the comment '' Extra scancodes not compatible with DOS scancodes untouched.
fxm

Postby fxm » Mar 16, 2019 22:35

Thank you for that.

Return to “Documentation”