How to Replace Any Recursion with Simple Iteration or Unlimited Iteration with its Own Stack, in FB

Forum for discussion about the documentation project.
Lost Zergling

Re: How to Replace Any Recursion with Simple Iteration or Unlimited Iteration with its Own Stack, in FB

Post by Lost Zergling »

Offtopic. What annoys me a bit is not so much to notice a certain loss of FB audience over time, it is also a bit of the loss of exuberance and vitality of that a few years. I feel badly placed to criticize the "school book" side, especially on a post dedicated to documentation. Modern times. It's just that it makes me nostalgic: I can not even rememore the no of this cabbage leaf that published various source codes, varied and often buggy for the family computers of the 80s. bugs and funny drawings, far from Inria computer courses. The breath of the pioneers has become, but what remains for us? I mean the spirit. How to defend it, to talk about it, to transmit it? Give me the desire, .. Let's rock! I am here the devil's advocate, but without the devil, is there anything else but the machine and its perfect equation: the ultimate solution to the problem of knowledge. Near future. And if in fact, it's the soul that was the devil?
dodicat

Re: How to Replace Any Recursion with Simple Iteration or Unlimited Iteration with its Own Stack, in FB

Post by dodicat »

Thanks Lost Zerling.
I don't believe that you are lost. I think you are actually AWOL.
You should make your way back to rejoin your comrades with that renewed fighting spirit.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

"Give me the desire" is a reference to a famous song of a famous French rocker, sorry if you miss it : heard desire for coding/learning. "anything else but the machine and its perfect equation: the ultimate solution to the problem of knowledge" : I was thinking about automatic formatting of teaching. The message I tried to understand was almost about the importance of human aspect in the transmission of knowledge : I do not regret the programming of 30 years ago, but the pioneering spirit that was that of the Basic. Missunderstandings I think, I should have explain my thought more clearly than smoking parabols. It does not bother me to be Awol, but till my presence becomes undesirable maybe one day I'll meet other Awol people or I'll be lost.
badidea

Post by badidea »

fxm wrote:No problem. Everyone has the right to be inspired by code on the forum (like my first version of user stack) and modify it as it sees fit.

Myself, I yesterday modified it, but just to gain speed of execution!
(important when we want to replace the execution stack by its own stack)
I believe you posted this in a different topic, but I really cannot find it.
Anyway, my question is. Is it possible to use lists of different types of variables (in one project) with only one list class definition without using macros? Or does this requires the C++ template thing? Reason: I don't like macros.
sancho3

Post by sancho3 »

@badidea:
That is called generics. This is a current wishlist item for fb.
The answer is no you can't, without jumping through some ugly hoops.
You can try to build your list with any pointers but then you will either fill your comparison method code full of if/else (if myobject is string elseif myobject is integer etc) and even then that still limits it to built in data types.
And since typeof() is a compiler intrinsic you can't use it to directly tell what kind of variables you are comparing. This means that you are going to need some kind of flag to tell your list how to compare two items (when adding to it or searching in it).
So then you can try to put your comparison operation code outside of the list object (using function pointers) but then you will find that that method is just taking those if/else statements out of the list object and moving them into the general logic of the program.
So you are either going to have to limit the type of variables your list can store or use the macro system.
imo
badidea

Post by badidea »

I tried something with define and namespace. This way a least only one file for the class:

Code: Select all

namespace DLINT
	#define data_type integer
	#include "dyn_list_v02.bi"
	#undef data_type
end namespace

namespace DLSGL
	#define data_type single
	#undef data_type
end namespace

dim as DLINT.list_type list1
list1.push(1)

dim as DLSGL.list_type list2
list2.push(1.0)
Where dyn_list_v02.bi is:

type list_type
	public:
	declare property push(byval value as data_type)
	declare property pop() as data_type
	declare property size() as integer 'stack size
	declare property find(byval value as data_type) as integer
	declare property get(index as integer) as data_type
	declare destructor()
	private:
	dim as data_type list(any) 'stack
	dim as integer current = 0
end type

'increase list size + add value
property list_type.push(byval value as data_type)
	redim preserve list(ubound(list) + 1)
	list(ubound(list)) = value
end property

property list_type.pop() as data_type
	dim as data_type value
	select case ubound(list)
	case is > 0
		'get value + decrease list size
		value = list(ubound(list))
		redim preserve list(ubound(list) - 1)
	case is = 0
		'get value + empty list
		value = list(ubound(list))
		erase list
	case else
		'keep uninitialised value
	end select
	return value
end property

property list_type.size() as integer
	return ubound(list) + 1
end property

'find first match
property list_type.find(byval value as data_type) as integer
	for i as integer = lbound(list) to ubound(list)
		if list(i) = value then return i 
	next
	return -1
end property

property list_type.get(index as integer) as data_type
	dim as data_type value
	if index >= lbound(list) and index <= ubound(list) then
		value = list(index)
	end if
	return value 
end property

destructor list_type
	erase list
end destructor
badidea

Post by badidea »

A list of lists. Only the = operator needs to be implemented for the find method to work (in above dyn_list_v02.bi):
Edit: This list of lists needs rethinking.

namespace DL_INT
	#define data_type integer
	#undef data_type
end namespace

namespace DL_INT_LIST
	#define data_type DL_INT.list_type
	#undef data_type
end namespace

dim as DL_INT.list_type intList1, intList2
intList1.push(11) : intList1.push(12) : intList1.push(13)
intList2.push(21) : intList2.push(22) : intList2.push(23)

dim as DL_INT_LIST.list_type intListList
intListList.push(intList1)
intListList.push(intList2)
Last edited by badidea on Nov 18, 2018 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
sancho3

Post by sancho3 »

That is the macro method of implementing generic-like types.
#define defines a macro.
Instead of wrapping the type directly inside a macro you have the namespace. But for sure without the #define (macro) you can't isolate the type.
Still the problem similar to a host of if/else. You now have a host of namespaces.
Its an approach I haven't seen before though and interesting.
badidea

Post by badidea »

The compiler error reporting seems to work better this way. The compiler now shows the line where the bug is (in the class implementation).
It the first time that I use the namespace keyword, so there might be issues I am unaware of.

Edit: There might be a problem with the list of list (previous post). How to get an arbitrary number integer lists (that is part of the lists of lists).