TubeRacer

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
Xerol

TubeRacer

Post by Xerol »

Download Version 0.40c

Still early on in the project, but there's two modes: A "get as far as you can in 2 minutes" mode, and a "get this far as fast as possible" mode. It's far from complete, but I want to get it out there now to iron out any major bugs before it becomes impossible to fix them (like what happened with UnTank).

Controls:
W - Accelerate
S - Brake
Q - Use Booster*
Arrows - Navigate

*The booster will only charge if it hasn't been used recently (there are bars that show this) and you're NOT holding down Q. So if you want to get the best use out of them, don't ride the Q.

I've since tweaked some of the graphics a little, and made the controls more sensitive, as well as adding more game modes. There's going to be lots more to come with this, but I'm stopping here for now to get some early feedback.
hartnell

Post by hartnell »

Cant... download....11mb.....dialup....evil....

btw, your index is showing...

-hartnell
Hexadecimal Dude!

Post by Hexadecimal Dude! »

Wow, thats kool. :) I enjoyed it at this stage, so I cant wait. I think it'd be nice to have an option to flip up+down controls, altho I got used to up being up and down being down :).

It's pretty tough to think of critisisms, and I certainly havent had any bugs. I'd be nice if it could go fullscreen nicely (alt+enter stretches it horizontaly here), even if the render window stayed the same size and just a black border filled the rest of the screen, as sometimes the desktop can be a bit distracting (and I really enjoyed the feeling of speed: very immersive). Also a "Free Play" mode might be nice with no time/distance targets.

*scratches head*

is there a pause? Also the bullets (I assume) seem to behave strangely (esp. at high speed)

Anywhoo, ive tried to think of this that'll be helpful, but as I said, I really enjoyed this version.

Back to playing :)

~Hex

edit: heh, I can see tunnels everywhere i look... groovy...
Xerol

Post by Xerol »

You can change the resolution in the config - the first line is width height fullscreen (0 = window, 1 = fullscreen) so if you wanted to make it, for example, 1280x800 fullscreen, just change it to 1280 800 1. (It's in the data folder).

When I started this, it was going to be a free space shooter. Then I added the tube and gave up on the first aspect, although they're still going to have some use.

I updated it, here's the latest version: http://games.xerol.org/tuberacer/tuberacer0_46d.rar
Hexadecimal Dude!

Post by Hexadecimal Dude! »

kool.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Pretty cool little game. I really like the way the tube is drawn. ^_^
redcrab

Post by redcrab »

WAouh ! Crazy Lunatic Game ... I still seeing the tube even with my closed eyes....

That's really fun !
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Yey! Another thing to crawl on my PC!
Xerol

Post by Xerol »

I'm creeping towards 0.50, which will be fully configurable.

http://games.xerol.org/tuberacer/tuberacer0_49j.rar
http://games.xerol.org/tuberacer/tuberacer0_49k.rar <--REQUIRED PATCH

ImageImage

Just use the executable in the patch (paste it over the one in the full download).

I'm in need of someone to help with textures and fonts. If interested, email me (xerol@xerol.org).

Edit: 0.50 alpha released:

http://h.xerol.org/f/tuberacer0_50alpha.rar

Added:
-Powerups/Powerdowns - For now, just one of each: A speed boost (green circle) or speed reduction (red circle). The closer you are to the center, the greater the effect.
-Minimap
-You don't need to hold down W anymore. Acceleration is automatic.
-New "Scrambler" - uses one unit of power, use ~ key to activate. This will re-generate the farthest 80% of the tube.
Xerol

Post by Xerol »

Major updates today:

-Added a new game mode: Endless.
-Changed some of the music-related stuff.
-Minor bugfixes.

Read the readme for all the info.

http://h.xerol.org/f/tuberacer0_52.rar

EDIT:

0.53:
-Fixed some sound bugs
-SWIRL! (I'm going to add more textures later; in endless mode, the textures will change at each checkpoint.)
Xerol

Post by Xerol »

Version 0.55. No major changes (besides adding more textures), mostly bugfixes.
sunsetdragon1992

Post by sunsetdragon1992 »

it runs extemely slow on my computer :(

how can i fix this?
Deleter

Post by Deleter »

get a new computer
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Do you have the latest video card drivers installed?

Xerol, I was wwondering if you were planning to add more advanced collision detection to that game? I think it would be nice if the wings of the craft could hit the walls of the tube. It should be pretty easy to add too. ;)
blahboybang

Post by blahboybang »

That's great and all, but if you don't plan on releasing the source, could you make a linux version? Wine might impede the game's performance.