Relax - A canceled project

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
Lachie Dazdarian

Relax - A canceled project

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

There is this project I started before Star Cage that got dropped after 2 days. It was a part of the series of dropped projects preceding Star Cage but with this one I went the farthest. I even meant to write an article about these projects entitled "Diaries of a mad game designer" but after few paragraphs I wanted to puke so...forget that.

Relax supposed to be yet another ultra-violent game with excessive gore effects, but since just about everyone and their nana made a bloody game and some were taken to very perfection, I got sick of Relax very soon and finishing it didn't feel like a rewarding thing to do.

Anyway, since there is something to show...I'm showing it. And offering the idea/concept and the code for the grabs. If anyone is interested. It's all in the readme. Cheers!

Download: Relax_Unfinished.zip
Screenshot: http://fileanchor.com/57685-r.gif

A note: If you are going to host this file somewhere don't put it in any FB games/projects section. It's a wasted program so that's where it should be. Some sort of "Unachieved code" section, if you have it. :P
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Lachie, curious if you ever played Monkey Blast. That was definitely one of my favorite QB games, still hosted at my Geocities site. ;)
Lachie Dazdarian

Yes I did. A loved that game.
sir_mud

Post by sir_mud »

Screenshot looks pretty cool, but I can't get it to compile on linux.
redcrab

Post by redcrab »

It's a medecine game ...
At the end of a tedious and rough day of work,... playing with it , and you feel like you made 1 hour of yoga...

Niak niak niak ...
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

Thanks for the source release Lachie, I like these type of games the pick up and blast to burn away a quick 15 mins while your waiting for something, very muck in the ilk or mayham concept lines of the classic minter games :)
vinians

What program do you use to create your graphics files?

Post by vinians »

What program do you use to create your graphics files?
Lachie Dazdarian

I used PixelPlus 256 to draw the sprites and test their animation. Then I took screenshots of all the sprites while inside PP256 with a DOS screen capture program. I rearranged and cropped the sprites and saved them in BMP files using another obscure DOS drawing program called GrafX. After than I converted the images into 24 bit mode using The GIMP, ver 2.2.

The only reason why I extracted the sprites from PP256 and converted them into 24 bit mode is because I planned to do some things with the sprites I couldn't do in 8 bit mode, like blood being washed off the play field with rain after a round ends using ALPHA translucency.
hartnell

Post by hartnell »

Lachie, this probably isn't the thread, but have you noticed your website's been hacked?

http://kentauri.digitalblackie.com/articles/

-hartnell
Lachie Dazdarian

No. I didn't visit that site for ages since I can't update it anymore (because of a college firewall). When I organize my life and get a home Internet connection I'll rebuild and recreate both of my sites. One day.

Anyway, I seem unable to access http://kentauri.digitalblackie.com at all so I can't check what has been done with the articles page. Can you tell me what's going on there?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

lol You got hacked for being American. ; )

(It's some 'cyber-propaganda' calling Americans and Israelis terrorists.. but it's got a pretty cool ASCII picture of a skull using different shaded versions of the word 'hacked.' Poor politics, nice little pic..)
hartnell

Post by hartnell »

Yeah, I agree with Ryan's interpretation. It also says that no files have been deleted, so most likely they renamed the index page in the articles directory and posted this index.htm. -hartnell
Lachie Dazdarian

Oh good. I feared someone placed that half-naked pic of me I posted on a certain board some time ago with demeaning comments.
vinians

Post by vinians »

wow nice little game, good game play, really nice sounds too :) I love that missle! lol
hartnell

Post by hartnell »

I rar'd it and uploaded it to my website so you could see it.

http://www.gamedesignhq.com/hacked.rar

-hartnell

P.S. I really liked relax. I took me a minute or so to realize I could shoot the legs of people. (insert murderous glee). You should look into making a game like Chiller.