Kart game... Demo[patch] update.

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Yeah. Things are alittle hectic right now, but I'll try to do it as soon as possible. ;)
SSC

Post by SSC »

I got 30-40 fps average on my laptop
1.6 ghz pentium m
ati 9200 mobile
512 ram

On my work computer I got 20-40 fps
3.2 ghz p4
on board graphics
512 ram

EDIT
Tested it at home with 60 fps constant, also this is the only computer of the 3 that the sound was working.
3.2 ghz p4
nvidia 5950 ultra 256
1.5 gb pc3200 ram
/EDIT

my home computer is a lot more powerful i'll test it out there later and update this.

i think its a really good start of a game, but I agree with the fact that you flip over and oversteer too easy, adding more gravity or more grip should let the karts slide around the corners better giving a more realisitic go-kart feeling =)
Last edited by SSC on Apr 20, 2006 23:53, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

How I spent most of my time in the demo:

Pretty darn cool. Huge improvement over Groov Buggies. ^_^
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

HA! That's great! :D

Actually, I've got the kart's acting pretty realistic now. I'll make a patch after I've added a little menu, so that peoploe can tweak the steering speed/spring & stuff.
v1ctor
Site Admin

Post by v1ctor »

Heh, nice sky vision: Image.

That happened after the kart fell for several seconds - i was taking a shortcut :P.

You guys probably never played papyrus' indycar racing in the DOS days, it was harder to drive in pro mode than this kart.
badmrbox

Post by badmrbox »

Pretty impressive stuff :P. Me likes. But some more weight in the kart shouldn't hurt I'll tell you that.
Had to start the game in windows95 compability mode to get it running at all (? Why, oh why? Not that it matters really.) but after that it runned smothly with 60fps all the time, with or without all karts on the screen :).
LukeL

Post by LukeL »

15-16 FPS
ATI Radeon 7200 (64MB)
AMD Athlon 1200 Mhz
512MB DDR PC2100
Windows XP Pro (SP1)

Great demo with amazing potential =)
Thrawn89

Post by Thrawn89 »

2-3 FPS XD
Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family [Its Integrated]
1.30GHz Intel Celeron M processor
512MB RAM
Windows XP Home Edition

Even though it was only 2-3 FPS, it still ran seemlessly, and I saw no graphic glitches...it was great

I think the physics need to be tweeked though, its so easy to lose control that its just contra reality

Just a thought, Mabey integrating a HUB?

Great work though!
~Thrawn~
unknown

Post by unknown »

Thrawn89 wrote:2-3 FPS XD
Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family [Its Integrated]
1.30GHz Intel Celeron M processor
512MB RAM
Windows XP Home Edition

Even though it was only 2-3 FPS, it still ran seemlessly, and I saw no graphic glitches...it was great
Are you sure you wrote this correctly? If so, how did you only get 2-3fps, and yet the game ran smoothly?
Thrawn89

Post by Thrawn89 »

I did write it correctly, and it does run smoothly

Observe:

(That says 5 btw)

~Thrawn~
unknown

Post by unknown »

Yes, Thrawn89, so I see. Hmmm...
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Man, that's bad. I am currently optimizing the rendering engine though. However, there is only so much I can do right now because I need to leave certain aspects open-ended until we decide on our final structures. I'll post again when I've finished. Also, I'm seriously thinking about trying to plug in that Irrlicht engine. That thing looks nifty! :)
Thrawn89

Post by Thrawn89 »

Hey, if it runs smoothly, and everything renders properly, who the heck cares about FPS other than braging rights?

I mean Ive heard of coders that programed games on cable boxes in Europe...as long as the media is presented to the user, everything that happens behind the scenes doesnt matter

Oh and yes, Irrlicht is great middleware ;-)

~Thrawn~
Sisophon2001

Post by Sisophon2001 »

If it runs properly, then could there be something wrong with the calculation or display of FPS? Surely a game with 5fps would not be usable?

Garvan
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

I know there are other ways to do it, but this is the way I'm doing it. It should be fine because the only thing that's working outside of the If...Then block, is the integer var FPS, and the FPS_String, which is just a standard variable length FB string. Fps_Timer is just a single precion float, which doesn't seem to cause a problem with GlfwGetTime returning a double...

Code: Select all

FPS+=1
    If GlfwGetTime>=Fps_Timer Then
        Fps_Timer = GlfwGetTime+1
        FPS_String = "Frames Per Second " + Str$(FPS)
        FPS = 0
    End If

Glfw reference wrote: 3.5.1 glfwGetTime
C language syntax
double glfwGetTime( void )
Parameters none

Return values
The function returns the value of the high precision timer. The time is measured in seconds, and is returned as a double precision floating point value.

Description
The function returns the state of a high precision timer. Unless the timer has been set by the glfwSetTime function, the time is measured as the number of seconds that have passed since glfwInit was called.

Notes
The resolution of the timer depends on which system the program is running on. The worst case resolution is somewhere in the order of 10 ms, while for most systems the resolution should be better than 1 μs.