Kart game... Demo[patch] update.

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
mambazo

Post by mambazo »

Was it just displaying that it was running at a low FPS, but actually appeared to be running at a higher rate? When I ran it, I only got 4 FPS, and it played that slow too :(

But like was mentioned, there were no graphical anomolies.

Any ideas?
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Well, I fixed some more stuff, added joystick support, increased the AI drivers abilities, tweaked the karts to my liking and added a replay cam. I haven't added a menu yet, but I should be able to add a temporary one tomorrow, so that people can modify the karts performance to their liking and change gfx/sound options. Here's the video for now though. It's the replay cam and you can see that the transparent sections of the guardrails no longer block each other out. ;)

Video
unknown

Post by unknown »

Dr_D, I tried to download the video, but all I saw was a blank, white page.
SSC

Post by SSC »

I couldn't d/l it either, is file anchor having issues maybe?
Ophelius

Post by Ophelius »

works fine here. Looking good!
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Weird... Try this one, I guess?

Video link...
unknown

Post by unknown »

Sir, I still couldn't download it. However, I have downloaded the last demo a few days ago. So, it can't be related to my firewall or PC.
Thrawn89

Post by Thrawn89 »

I was able to download from both of them

It is looking good

Umm, Dr_D your FPS code looks good, my lappy runs this demo at 5fps, and it runs alright, it does appear to be slightly in slow motion, but not enough to know that it wasnt set at that speed. I suggest allowing us to set the game speed (ie. move things farther per frame rather than trying to render more frames per second)

It is smooth though, not jumpy between frames, so that in itself is a success, keep up the excellent coding

~Thrawn~
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Just a little update:

Frame independent, time based movement has been added and it's working great. People that are experiencing extremely low frame rates will probably only get a headache from it now though. If your framerate is too low, it updates everything according to the current timestep to compensate. If the timestep is very large it will skip alot of frames, so it will look choppy and probably be unplayable. This is why there is a frame/time based option. Basically, you will be able to play it in lag mode, if you choose.

We're just about to get the shadowing worked out too. I've made a successful test program with decent quality shadows, but your video card will require at least 4 texture units and GL_DEPTH_TEXTURE, which should be just about everyone these days.

Tons of other options added for tweaking the rendering engine and the physics engine.
relsoft

Post by relsoft »

Doc: I think I could make texture splatting work in this GEforce2. Can't commit myself to it this weekend though. I'll be off to the boondocks and I have a crap vid card there. :*(

Cya Monday.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Well, I made another video. This one shows the time based movement in action. As you can see in the video, the framrate was really low because of the video capture program. I was still able to play normally though. :)

Time based movement video

Rel... So when are you leaving then?
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

@Dr_D:
The last movie has sound and i can see the openal.dll in the download but no sound on WIN98SE or is sound disabled in the download?

FPS>=60 with NVIDIA Ti4200 AGP 8x

Joshy
v1ctor
Site Admin

Post by v1ctor »

No .. more .. videos .. gimme .. a .. new .. demo .. you.

Heck, i love racing games, that's the reason i bought my first computer (a 386 40mhz :P), i saw someone playing F1GP and its flat-shaded polygons/adlib sounds and couldn't believe the realism.. nm.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

D.J.Peters wrote:@Dr_D:
The last movie has sound and i can see the openal.dll in the download but no sound on WIN98SE or is sound disabled in the download?

FPS>=60 with NVIDIA Ti4200 AGP 8x

Joshy
Sorry about that. I don't know what could be causing it. Sound is enabled. I guess OpenAL just doesn't play nice with Win98SE, or something. It seems to be real $#@$& about how many sounds you load & stuff. I can't even find a way to get the amount of free sound sources from the hardware. There is nothing about it in the documentation. Alot of people have trouble with OpenAL, that's why we're going to use your sound lib, when you're finished with it. I ran that test where it loaded and played something like 100 sounds, all at the same time... That was great! :)
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

I will put a carengine 3D sounddemo in the next fbsound download how many gears need your "vehicle" and what are the min U/m and max U/m (loops per minute) of the engine and default power (KW or PS) and the weight of the "vehicle plus driver" (in KG)?

(and i need the size or radius of the (outer) tires in zoll or cm)

Joshy