Mosquito (UCI chess engine)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Roland Chastain

Re: Mosquito (UCI chess engine)

Postby Roland Chastain » Apr 19, 2018 18:39

Roland Chastain wrote:I watched the game (Round 16) where Mosquito played an illegal move. I believe it is because of the underpromotion of the white pawn to bishop. I have to fix that.

Done. Now Mosquito should manage correctly moves with underpromotion.

Download Mosquito

By the way, I wonder why most chess programs use the "position startpos moves ... ... ..." syntax, instead of "position fen ...". Eschecs use the "position fen ..." syntax.
grindstone

Postby grindstone » Apr 19, 2018 20:19

Roland Chastain wrote:By the way, I wonder why most chess programs use the "position startpos moves ... ... ..." syntax, instead of "position fen ...". Eschecs use the "position fen ..." syntax.
"startpos" means the same as "fen rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 1".

From the initial position plus moves list you can (theoretically) get more information than from the pure board setup. It's up to you as the programmer of the engine if you analyze it (e.g. using a data base with chess games) or not.
Roland Chastain

Postby Roland Chastain » Apr 19, 2018 20:34

grindstone wrote:From the initial position plus moves list you can (theoretically) get more information than from the pure board setup. It's up to you as the programmer of the engine if you analyze it (e.g. using a data base with chess games) or not.

That's true.

By the way, do you know this program?

UCI Filter

This is a very useful program, especially since it comes with its source code. :)

When I saw your "human" pseudo chess engine, I thought of taking it as a starting point to make a UCI filter in FB, but not yet had time to try.
grindstone

Postby grindstone » Apr 22, 2018 12:58

Roland Chastain wrote:By the way, do you know this program?

UCI Filter

This is a very useful program, especially since it comes with its source code. :)
No, I never heared about. And to be honest, I'm not in need of this program, for I don't use Arena.

Roland Chastain wrote:When I saw your "human" pseudo chess engine, I thought of taking it as a starting point to make a UCI filter in FB, but not yet had time to try.
It would be a pretty overhead, but yes, the pseudo engine has all ingredients to code such a filter. You only had to implement an additional pipe to connect to the engine and find a way (maybe by an .ini file) to tell the filter which engine to connect to. And then of course you had to implement the filter itself, but that shouldn't be too much of a challenge.
grindstone

Postby grindstone » Apr 28, 2018 15:43

Today I manually played against Mosquito, and I won. And that means:
This engine urgently needs an improvement!!! ;-)

Return to “Projects”