Eric: The Mysterious Stranger - RTS game(WIP)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Boromir

Re: Eric: The Mysterious Stranger - RTS game(WIP)

Post by Boromir »

BasicCoder2 wrote:Thinking about it now maybe the first one was medieval like. Didn't they have flutes as well?
The last pieces sounded more like Spanish music to me.
That's right. The first piece was written by(or attributed to) King Richard the Lion Heart so it is medieval. I have been experimenting with some flute recordings but my mic quality isn't very good with them.
The second 2, Asturias and Malaguena, are spanish pieces which don't match quite so well. I feel like replacing them. Unfortunately, it's a lot of work arranging medieval melodies for classical guitar.
BasicCoder2 wrote: Have you considered using comic book clouds for written conversations?
Maybe a close up of the characters involved in their own area so not to cover the scene.
Yeah, I considered it. The main reason I chose not to is because it's hard to read stuff in the smaller space you end up with.
Boromir

Post by Boromir »

Here is a pig.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

So are you going to use the "pixel sprites" in the program?
The story is one of the harder parts of the development.
Did a bit of reading on the subject. It can like writing a novel.
Just inventing the characters and making their actions or comments fit the personality.
For me the attraction in the coding was having independent agents doing their actions triggered by events (input/goals).
A command from the player can be an event but I wouldn't enjoy the tedium of micro managing them as in Settlers.
As I think i commented before their display requires a lot of animated images which seems to be something that would take most of the time.
Looking at modern versions of the "isometric" view they appear to be generated on the fly by a 3D graphics.
Boromir

Post by Boromir »

BasicCoder2 wrote:So are you going to use the "pixel sprites" in the program?
The pig is already in the game. I'm still working on a replacement sprite for the people.
BasicCoder2 wrote: For me the attraction in the coding was having independent agents doing their actions triggered by events (input/goals).
A command from the player can be an event but I wouldn't enjoy the tedium of micro managing them as in Settlers.
As I think i commented before their display requires a lot of animated images which seems to be something that would take most of the time.
Looking at modern versions of the "isometric" view they appear to be generated on the fly by a 3D graphics.
Using 3d graphics definitely makes animation easier but for the static scenery I'm probably going to stick to hand drawn.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Boromir wrote:The pig is already in the game. I'm still working on a replacement sprite for the people.
Cool. The images should look cleaner and brighter?
Using 3d graphics definitely makes animation easier but for the static scenery I'm probably going to stick to hand drawn.
I think consistency in the "look" is important and hand drawn images I assume will look like pixel art.
Boromir

Post by Boromir »

BasicCoder2 wrote:
Boromir wrote:The pig is already in the game. I'm still working on a replacement sprite for the people.
Cool. The images should look cleaner and brighter?
I think consistency in the "look" is important and hand drawn images I assume will look like pixel art.
I have a quick 3d sprite here. I'm liking the result.
He still needs some hair and some shoes.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@Boromir,

They do look cleaner. I did attempt a few times to learn to use Blender but it was rather tedious I can't help feeling there must be a simpler friendlier way to load characters and clothe and animate them.

What image host do you use?

Personally I like sunny high contrast colors unless the scene is meant to be dreary.

Last edited by BasicCoder2 on Mar 19, 2018 11:24, edited 2 times in total.
Boromir

Post by Boromir »

BasicCoder2 wrote:They do look cleaner. I did attempt a few times to learn to use Blender but it was rather tedious I can't help feeling there must be a simpler friendlier way to load characters and clothe and animate them.
Blender is designed for user control and power. It's also free software and you own everything you make with it. It's now my personal preference, but it took a good long time learning it and I still don't use a fraction of its functionality.

There are other simple to use 3d tools though. With "drag and drop" from libraries of ready made stuff. You probably do not fully own what you make with these though. I find such tools to be restrictive and less fun.
http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-3d-anima ... tware.html
https://www.daz3d.com/
BasicCoder2 wrote:What image host do you use?
I use https://postimages.org/
BasicCoder2 wrote:Personally I like sunny high contrast colors unless the scene is meant to be dreary.
I probably will make the graphics a bit brighter though my taste is generally for a slightly desaturated look.