WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Kot

Re: WinFBE FreeBASIC Editor for Windows (Updated September 27, 2017)

Post by Kot »

I don't like that the working space is filled with spaces. Can it be turned off somewhere in options? Maybe there is a switch, but I couldn't find it. I'd like it to be like in other editors.
Josep Roca

Post by Josep Roca »

Filled with spaces? A wild guess: Go to Menu -> Environment options -> Code editor and check "Confine caret to text".
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Version 1.5.6 (November 26, 2017)
- Changed: Updated to use WinFBX Library Version 1.0.

https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases
bcohio2001

Post by bcohio2001 »

Trying to switch over from FBEdit. Was able to create WinFBE project out of the files, so far so good.

Few things noticed.
The block comments are not displaying correctly.
The first / is red, followed by the green comment, and the '/ is green. But every thing inside is standard colors.

Forcing of a block IF/Then/Endif? When "If x Then MySub()" is sometimes clearer.
Is there any way to delay the placing of the "Endif".
After user types the space after "IF", fill out that line as you do.
The user can edit the conditional.
If cursors off line, then add the "Endif". But let user cursor to end of line to add code.

Requests:
1) Clear Undo
2) Dual file display
3) GUI design (RC editor)
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Thanks for using the editor. I appreciate it. Also, stop on over to my forum if you'd like to see the current stages of development.
bcohio2001 wrote: The block comments are not displaying correctly.
The first / is red, followed by the green comment, and the '/ is green. But every thing inside is standard colors.
This has been reported before and it's a limitation of the Scintilla lexer that is included in the 32 and 64 versions of the DLL that I am using. Because the lexer is written in C++, it may be a while before I can adjust it so that this problem is fixed.
Forcing of a block IF/Then/Endif? When "If x Then MySub()" is sometimes clearer.
If cursors off line, then add the "Endif". But let user cursor to end of line to add code.
I agree with you on this one. More often than not, the automatic IF/ENDIF block is more of a pain than a help. I will implement a better approach similar to what you suggest.
1) Clear Undo
2) Dual file display
3) GUI design (RC editor)
These are all do-able, thanks. Dual file display is on my radar but I got caught up with the visual designer implementation (much better than the RC editor that you suggest in #3).

Thanks!
Paul Squires
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

bcohio2001 wrote: Forcing of a block IF/Then/Endif? When "If x Then MySub()" is sometimes clearer.
I have this now fixed and implemented. It will be in the next upload. This will give me time to test it in production prior to releasing it to everyone. It also gives me time to work on implementing the split window editing view.
bcohio2001

Post by bcohio2001 »

Sounds good to me.

While testing the IF/Then/Endif, watch out for when you add an "Else".
It does not align with the IF block. Stays tabbed out and adds another tab for the added code.
bcohio2001

Post by bcohio2001 »

Was just over on your PlanetSquires forum and noticed you almost got it. How about a "Freebasic" lookat?
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

bcohio2001 wrote:Was just over on your PlanetSquires forum and noticed you almost got it. How about a "Freebasic" lookat?
:-) I am close to releasing a new update. Been doing a lot of testing today and found a couple of things that I resolved this evening (eg. recognizing the THIS keyword inside TYPE functions in order to activate the correct autocomplete popup).

Should have the update out soon.
UEZ

Post by UEZ »

Your editor is very stable and that's the reason why I'm using it - so well done.

It would be great to have following features added:

1) save the current session (tabs) and reload it at next start automatically
2) highlight current variable on hover

Thanks.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

UEZ wrote:Your editor is very stable and that's the reason why I'm using it - so well done.
Thanks! I appreciate the support.
1) save the current session (tabs) and reload it at next start automatically
Tabs and positioning is only saved and restored if you are working as a Project. If you normally work with many files open then saving it as a project is probably better.
2) highlight current variable on hover
This can be done with scintilla and eventually I will implement it.
UEZ

Post by UEZ »

WinFBE crashes when I want to modify follow line:

Code: Select all

Dim as String S = "FUjD9hf gbHhxTR 8YyzJdR xP3aNkR 2Qi4fQr E6pW5Ky zmtWIBF Af7LtYp TuXy30d 3nKGLr2 hNoWscB mSBvv3K f4wJ70e mIt9XmM M4TkAyh P4L4qhd hNM6bTv VoT8JXM jqcGH0B DYVoN8n bOPQkOI NeaTfJ1 18ppMNr FZ3d8Jv HsoX2RP mjv4kzI 6rpJbef pySKauq WjNQYRV Ffooo8y Xei5XfD T5A415r LiV0VNB nGcwiO4 b1Gdjjy GE828iy eSQ7SLe 1mPyGgL GNtwJIr KxBlU7E aKXhms5 9Quu2wu Y07quDf r0yC5Qa 273fCkD 2wMyCUw FUjD9hf"

Sleep
If I replace manually S with A(0 and press space then it crashes. I want to replace it with A(0 to ...) =
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Thanks UEZ, you are correct. It crashed on my local version 1.5.6 also. However, it did not crash on my latest development version of the editor that I hope to release soon. In the development version, I re-worked a lot of autocomplete and codetip popup code and I expect that is where the crash is occurring in 1.5.6.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Is the compiler choking on the statement length? ( I meant editor not compiler )

Introduce a continuation character somewhere in the middle of S and try the edit again.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

deltarho[1859] wrote:Is the compiler choking on the statement length? ( I meant editor not compiler )

Introduce a continuation character somewhere in the middle of S and try the edit again.
Hi David, in this case is a gpf resulting from most likely from the open parenthesis inadvertently attempting to invoke a codetip popup and failing with a null pointer. The editor can easily handle long lines like in this example.