WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated July 29, 2018)

Post by PaulSquires »

Version 1.7.0 (July 29, 2018)
- Added: Button BackColorDown property added. The ThemeSupport property must be set to False.
- Fixed: Right click mouse popup menu not showing in code editor of a visual designer form.
- Fixed: Added a Relative path check for Help files.

https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases
kcvinu

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated July 29, 2018)

Post by kcvinu »

Hi PaulSquires,
Thanks for this update. Few months ago, i was hardly tried to implement the back color property of button in my gui library. But unfortunately i can't succeed in it. Now, i am glad that you implemented the same in your IDE. Could you please post a tutorial about how to do this in FB ?
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

In general, you can not change the backcolor of a standard Windows button control (unless you employ ownerdraw methods). For WinFBE, I decided to not use the standard Windows button control, but rather use Jose's CXpButton custom control. That control allows for fully themed Windows buttons as well as allowing to turn themes off so that foreground and background colors can be set. That button control also allows for easier use of adding images to the button.
PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated August 2, 2018)

Post by PaulSquires »

Version 1.7.1 (August 2, 2018)
- Added: TextBox TextChanged event.
- Added: (ToolBox) Event descriptions for Destroy, GotFocus, LostFocus, MouseEnter, MouseHover, MouseLeave.
- Added: (ToolBox) Ability to use keyboard arrow keys to traverse list of Events for a control.
- Added: (ToolBox) Ability to use keyboard Space key to toggle select/unselect of an Event for a control.
- Added: BackColorDown to popup codetips for Button objects.
- Added: Duplicate check for Form and Control names.
- Added: Check to remove invalid characters from Form and Control names.
- Added: Documentation for the global/shared Application variable.
- Added: wfxApplication class codetips (for the global Application variable).
- Added: wfxColors class codetips (for the global Colors variable)
- Added: Changing a form or control name will automatically any code that references the old name.
- Added: Compiler Setup fields for WinFBX Help file.
- Added: New top menu Help options for WinAPI and WinFBX
- added: Pressing "DELETE" key will now delete the selected group of controls.
- Changed: Removed the "On" prefix from the documentation for Methods related to forms and controls.
- Fixed: SelectAll not selecting all code text for visual designer forms when the code editor is active.
- Fixed: If visual design form had focus, typing characters would enter those characters into the code editor.

PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated August 2, 2018)

Post by PaulSquires »

There is a regression in this version that is preventing text input into the PropertyList. I am fixing and will upload new version soon.
PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated August 3, 2018)

Post by PaulSquires »

Version 1.7.2 (August 3, 2018)
- Added: Completed ListBox control documentation and tips.
- Fixed: Regression from 1.7.1 preventing text input into PropertyList items (Name, Text, etc).

Support: http://www.planetsquires.com/protect/forum/index.php
abece

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated August 3, 2018)

Post by abece »

Hi. I like the progress with WinFBE and waiting for it to mature before switching over from FBEdit. Specifically, I'm interested in the development of the Form Designer. In the meantime, I've been testing it with some simple programs.

When Font is set in a textbox, there is a compilation error that the element is not defined. The error message points to a hidden line number (the generated form code that is hidden). I guess this property has not yet been implemented. There doesn't seem to be a way to delete this property from the form designer once it's been assigned, but I can go into a different editor to delete the property.

I would prefer that you make the generated code viewable by the programmer, but in an include file (.bi or .inc) rather than the form's .bas file and not hidden, so that it would make more sense with the line numbers. Perhaps a checkbox in the view menu to hide/show generated form code. If you're going to include the form code in the .bas file, at least make the line numbers consistent. The error points to line 215, but the .bas file shows only lines 1 to 15 in WinFBE, but in reality there are 240 lines in the actual .bas file when viewing the file in an external editor -- thus, line 215 doesn't make sense in the Compiler Results log when viewing in WinFBE. I realize that you are trying to simplify things for beginners, but for me, I'd rather see all the generated code rather than having it hidden.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Thanks for the feedback - yes, I see your point. Maybe an option to view all generated code would be a way to go. I had floated the idea of having an additional area or option for such a thing. I am aware of the compile error line number difference. I just need to adjust the line offsets to compensate for the hidden generated code. As you've pointed out, it is a way to help beginner programmers but could be a pain for more experienced users. This will iron itself out over the next few weeks as it gets used more and we all decide what the best direction would be.

(I will also check that textbox font error - I had a another report of a textbox error with ImageAlign so I will see what's going on there).
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Hello.

First thanks for the great job.I finally found the time to try WinFBE.

My first feeling is quite a positive one. The look is very sober. It looks like this forum at first sight, maybe it could be even more the case if the code window were grey rather than yellow, but this is just fine like this anyway.

I have only one thing that disturbs me. I tend to love the good old FBIDE for its quickrun style (really quick). WinFBE is less quick for 2 reasons, 1/it opens a window with compiler's informations and you need to validate, and 2/ when the program is run, there is no pause before it returns (useful to look at the output in case of crash).

Maybe it's just me that misses some options, but so can we remove the compiler information page that comes before the program starts? Could it be that in the future the quickrun will be run in a way like in FBIDE (with a pause even if the exec crashes)?

Thanks a lot.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Tourist Trap wrote:when the program is run, there is no pause before it returns (useful to look at the output in case of crash).
Menu: Options/Environment Options.../Compiler Setup
You can tick the box: "Run compiled program using command window"
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

fxm wrote: Menu: Options/Environment Options.../Compiler Setup
You can tick the box: "Run compiled program using command window"
Ok nice :)
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Tourist Trap wrote:WinFBE is less quick for 2 reasons, 1/it opens a window with compiler's informations and you need to validate, ....
Thanks for using WinFBE. The more people that use it, the better that I can make it because everyone has a different way for coding and little differences make for building a better editor.

Can you explain your quote above? If the compiler is correctly configured in WinFBE then there should be no popups or anything prior to a QuickRun.
(fxm correctly answered your second question).
fxm

Post by fxm »

Tourist Trap wrote:1/it opens a window with compiler's informations and you need to validate
To skip the successful compile result message:
Menu: Options/Environment Options.../General Options
You can tick the box: "Hide successful compile result message"
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Ah, that's what he meant. I thought it was something *before* the compile rather than *after*. fxm, I have mine setup the same way as well. Successful compiles do not show the messagebox - it only beeps and shows the successful green compile icon in the statusbar.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Yes thanks for this. Sorry for my poor wording sometimes, not my primary language :)

I tried the FUNCTION LIST feature. I have nothing saved so it shows me a list like that:

Code: Select all

UNTITLED 1
UNTITLED 2
UNTITLED 3
When I click one of them, the message box vanishes and nothing happens.Shouldn't it show me something like a list of Functions? In FbEdit, there is a function tab that shows such a list (I don't use it in FbEdit for a forgotten reason but if I remember well it shows up to the right at screen).
I guess I'm missing something again.

About my non-saving files, it's something common for me. I work with a saved file in one instance of the editor, and with unsaved stuff in another instance that serves for me as a testing bench. This to say, that I will need to work with unsaved files in a way or another. That's the reason I'm trying WinFBE this way for the moment.