WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
dstein

Re: WinFBE FreeBASIC Editor for Windows

Post by dstein »

Paul:

Really like the editor! Has some features I REALLY like - notably the easily accessible Function List and the F6/Shift-F6 pair of functions. Thanks for your work on this.

I'm a hobbyist coder - not something I do for a living at all. As such, please excuse the n00b question, but...code tips? What, exactly, are those? I haven't seen any impact of turning on that feature. I assumed that this was the pop-up syntax helper that shows the args a function accepts as you are typing the function into code (ala FBEdit)...but not seeing anything like that. If, for example, I type ScreenRes<space>, should I get any kind of visual indicator of what args are expected next?

I do have "Enable CodeTips" selected. I thought, perhaps, I had to have the FB Help file present in case syntax was looked up there...but existence of that file and config in Compiler Setup didn't matter. Tried both 32 and 64b editions to see if behavior changed - nope. Using v1.1.1.

Also, if I type:
dim x as In
...should I expect to see the word "Integer" pop up as a possible auto-completion (again, ala FBEdit)? If so, this is not happening. If I type "SELECT<space>" I do get a select case structure to auto-appear. Just trying to determine scope of code completion options.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

dstein wrote:Paul:

Really like the editor! Has some features I REALLY like - notably the easily accessible Function List and the F6/Shift-F6 pair of functions. Thanks for your work on this.

I'm a hobbyist coder - not something I do for a living at all. As such, please excuse the n00b question, but...code tips? What, exactly, are those? I haven't seen any impact of turning on that feature. I assumed that this was the pop-up syntax helper that shows the args a function accepts as you are typing the function into code (ala FBEdit)...but not seeing anything like that. If, for example, I type ScreenRes<space>, should I get any kind of visual indicator of what args are expected next?

I do have "Enable CodeTips" selected. I thought, perhaps, I had to have the FB Help file present in case syntax was looked up there...but existence of that file and config in Compiler Setup didn't matter. Tried both 32 and 64b editions to see if behavior changed - nope. Using v1.1.1.

Also, if I type:
dim x as In
...should I expect to see the word "Integer" pop up as a possible auto-completion (again, ala FBEdit)? If so, this is not happening. If I type "SELECT<space>" I do get a select case structure to auto-appear. Just trying to determine scope of code completion options.
Hi, thanks for trying the editor. Really appreciate it. The Codetips right now is just a placeholder. I have it listed in the TODO.TXT file. It is the next feature to be implemented. Yesterday I finished the first part of Autocomplete which allows for the automatic insertion of FOR/NEXT, SELECT/CASE, WHILE/WEND, SUB/END SUB, FUNCTION/END FUNCTION etc constructs. That is now fully functional and is the GitHub download.

Sorry for giving you the false impression that Codetips should be doing something :-) I should have disabled that option rather than hide it cryptically in a text file that it is not functional.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

dstein wrote:Paul:

Also, if I type:
dim x as In
Hi dstein, I have now implemented the popup data type list for autocompletion when "AS" is typed. Hopefully it will meet you expectations. :-)
I am working on the next feature now (Codetips) that show popups of the parameters lists for builtin FB functions and WinAPI functions.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Codetip popups for builtin FreeBASIC keywords has been added to GitHub.
Kot

Post by Kot »

third check box text is empty :o
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

You must of only downloaded the EXE? You need the whole zip package because you need to ensure that you have the most up-to-date language files. The english.lang file is found in the "Languages" subfolder. Entry #95 should be "Enable Autocomplete".

I will create a release later this week once I fully complete the codetip functionality. I need to incorporate WinAPI functions and functions within the user's source and/or project.
Jonge

Post by Jonge »

Think I found a bug, I created a new projects and added a new file to the project. This compiled and worked, I then tried to use the main menu: Project->Add files to project.. And was trying to add a new *.bi file to the project, so I selected a folder, and tried to create a new file by typing in a filename that doesn't exist. This added a blank(nameless) file to the project, and the editor crashed on exit. The project file also ended up empty.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Thanks Jonge, you are correct. The FOS_FILEMUSTEXIST flag was missing in AfxIFileOpenDialogMultiple. I have fixed the source and uploaded the new files to GitHub. Thanks for finding that problem.
Carlos Herrera

Post by Carlos Herrera »

Dear Paul,
Good to hear that JellyFish editor is resurrected. As for now I have just one,
rather "aesthetic", comment. It seems that fonts (e.g. default Courier New and
my favourite Inconsolata) look somehow uglier (i.e. more "pixelized")
as compared to the editor window of old JF.
With best regards,
Carlos
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Hi Carlos, yes I think you may be right. I have noticed differences between my older editor (which uses the CodeMax editing component) and Scintilla based editors like my new WinFBE. I did some side by side comparisons to see if I could make the font representations similar. I changed the font quality in Scintilla to use the SC_EFF_QUALITY_DEFAULT flag and it seems to make the font look better(?). Not 100% sure but if you could test it and let me know then that would be appreciated. GitHub has been updated with the new code and EXE's.
Josep Roca

Post by Josep Roca »

Try Consolas instead of Courier New and enable ClearType.
Carlos Herrera

Post by Carlos Herrera »

Dear Paul,
I think it is better now, thank you. However, Inconsolata (TrueType version) is still ugly.
Fortunately, Inconsolatazi4 (OpenType version distributed with miktex) is almost perfect
and as smooth and nice as Consolas. Interestingly, in Geany editor (1.29),
which I currently use, it is just opposite.
Best regards,
Carlos
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Release of WinFBE Version 1.2.0 created.

- Added: Autocomplete feature for IF/WHILE/FOR/SELECT/FUNCTION/SUB/PROPERTY/TYPE/UNION
- Added: Autocomplete displays data type list after "AS" is typed.
- Added: Codetip popups for builtin FreeBASIC keywords and user defined subs/functions.
- Added: Missing FB keywords: CULNG, CULNGINT, BOOLEAN
- Added: New sample projects: RichOleDemo, Treeview, ToolbarRebar
- Changed: Updated the Spanish language file.
- Changed: Compiler Output window will close on successul compile if no warnings/errors and listview was previously active.
- Changed: Font quality now uses the SC_EFF_QUALITY_DEFAULT flag.
- Fixed: Newly created documents when saved now show in Recent Files list (if no project is active).
- Fixed: Situation where closed project resource file used in subsequent opened *.bas file.
- Fixed: FOS_FILEMUSTEXIST flag was missing in AfxIFileOpenDialogMultiple.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

PaulSquires wrote:Release of WinFBE Version 1.2.0 created.
Hi PaulSquires, I can't use this IDE for being on XP, but I wonder if you can implement a kind of this, that I was asking for in another topic:
Tourist Trap wrote: It seems then to search the errors at the deeper function level first. Have we an option in fb to know the exact position? You know some IDE uses it to write a "^" just below like:

Code: Select all

trim( x,  asc(i) )
              ^
Is it done? Is it possible?
Thanks for your work anyway.
Josep Roca

Post by Josep Roca »

It would be very easy if the compiler returned the column position in the error log file, but it only returns the line number, so it's not possible.