WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
PaulSquires

WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023)

Post by PaulSquires »

(Updated June 4, 2023. Version 3.1.0)

WinFBE FreeBASIC Editor for Windows

WinFBE Suite includes integrated editor/compiler/tool suite. It contains the latest WinFBE, latest FBC compiler and support files, latest WinFBX (Jose's Afx includes), User Tools, and Help files. Everything is pre-configured so you should be able to simply download the archive (WinFBE_Suite.zip), unzip it, and start either the 32 or 64 bit version of the editor, compile, and success. A separate Windows Installer (winfbe_suite_setup.exe) package also exists if you prefer to use an installer rather than simply unzipping the archive. In both cases, it is recommended that you install into a folder whose name does not contain spaces because sometimes embedded folder spaces can cause compilations to fail.

https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases
Full source code and binaries are available at: https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE

Release versions are available at: https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases

Code is written using the FreeBASIC language and uses the Scintilla editing library (in DLL form).

Features:
- Unicode enabled.
- 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
- High DPI aware for any monitor resolution.
- Language localization. Simple create language file based on English.lang file.
- Localized for many languages.
- Projects and non-project based editing.
- Easy integration of Console or GUI based code.
- Incremental compiling of code defined as a "module".
- Easy including of Windows Resource files simply by specifying which source code file is the resource.
- Seamless integration of the FreeBasic Compiler (both 32 bit and 64 bit).
- Codetip popups and auto completion.
- Built in Visual Designer.

Requirements:
- Windows Vista or later operating system. Windows XP is not supported because many newer API's are used in the source code.

Resources:
- Jose Roca: WinFBX library. Get it from https://github.com/JoseRoca/WinFBX
- Visit http://www.planetsquires.com/protect/forum/index.php for support forum.

The WinFBE editor is licensed under the GNU GPLv3 or later.

Last edited by PaulSquires on Jun 04, 2023 21:36, edited 88 times in total.
VANYA

Re: WinFBE FreeBASIC Editor for Windows

Post by VANYA »

Looks it is modern. I haven't understood how to save the source file in UNICODE.

I hope that in the editor such functions will be realized:

1) Quick start
2) The built-in debugger such as at the editor (Liberty Basic or PureBasic).
3) Plugins

In general, good fellow, good work!
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Thanks VANYA,

You should be able to enable unicode editing (UTF8) by doing this:

"View" menu, "Environment Options", "Enable unicode (UTF-8 encoding)".

It can also be enabled by clicking the 5th panel in the bottom StatusBar. That will toggle between ANSI and UTF-8. Clicking the StatusBar panels is a fast way to perform various actions like switching between CONSOLE and GUI, Goto Line, switch compilers, or define the source file type.
Lothar Schirm

Post by Lothar Schirm »

Great IDE! Will be a good replacement for JellyFB when all other things in the ToDo list will be done.

I found some small things:

1. I use the compiler option switches -exx -w pedantic, but I do not see them in the compiler results or in the compiler log file. Is it sure that the compiler uses the switches?

2. In the function list, functions and subs are not properly sorted alphabetically. E.g. for my file WinGUI.bi, the function list begins as follows:
ComboBox_InsertString
ListBox_InsertString
Button_New
CheckBox_GetCheck
CheckBox_New
etc. ...
It would also be nice to find "Function List" in the View menu.

3. It would be nice to support also "Mixed Case" as in JellyFB (code editor options).

4. Only the first compiler error in the code is marked. Would it be possible to mark all errors?
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Lothar Schirm wrote:Great IDE! Will be a good replacement for JellyFB when all other things in the ToDo list will be done.
Thanks Lothar - appreciate it :-)
1. I use the compiler option switches -exx -w pedantic, but I do not see them in the compiler results or in the compiler log file. Is it sure that the compiler uses the switches?
If using a Project then you can specify additional compiler switches in "Project", "Project Options". If in non-project mode then specify additional switches in "View", "Environment Options", "Compiler Setup", "Additional compiler option switches".
2. In the function list, functions and subs are not properly sorted alphabetically. E.g. for my file WinGUI.bi, the function list begins as follows:......
That is very odd because my tests show functions as sorted within each source file. I will keep looking at this to see if there is a peculiar reason when non-sorting happens.
It would also be nice to find "Function List" in the View menu.
Yes, that certainly makes sense. It needs to be there. It is currently under the "Search" menu.
3. It would be nice to support also "Mixed Case" as in JellyFB (code editor options).
I have had trouble getting mixed case to work with the Scintilla editing control. JellyFB uses the older CodeMax control and I had no problems with mixed case with that control.
4. Only the first compiler error in the code is marked. Would it be possible to mark all errors?
All warnings and errors should display in the "Output Window", "Compiler Results" listview. You can doubleclick each line in that listview to move from error to error.

PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Lothar Schirm wrote: 2. In the function list, functions and subs are not properly sorted alphabetically. E.g. for my file WinGUI.bi, the function list begins as follows:
ComboBox_InsertString
ListBox_InsertString
Button_New
CheckBox_GetCheck
CheckBox_New
etc. ...
Ok, I see the problem. I downloaded your WinGUI.bi file and noticed that the the first two functions in the list had multiple spaces before the Sub/Function name. I will modify the code to remove any multiple leading spaces before adding it to the sorted linked list.

EDIT: Now fixed in the GitHub repository.
Lothar Schirm

Post by Lothar Schirm »

Paul thank you for your answers.

1. Compiler switches: I set the compiler switches as you describe in "View", "Environment Options", "Compiler Setup", "Additional compiler option switches". Obviously the compiler uses it (I tested it with a short code with an array overflow ---> error 6 (out of bounds array access), but the setting of the compiler switches is not reported in the Coompiler Log File nor in the Compiler Results.
This is the Compiler Log File:
FreeBASIC Compiler - Version 1.05.0 (01-31-2016), built for win64 (64bit)
Copyright (C) 2004-2016 The FreeBASIC development team.
standalone
target: win64, x86-64, 64bit
compiling: C:\FreeBASIC\Progs\Tests\Test.bas -o C:\FreeBASIC\Progs\Tests\Test.c (main module)
compiling C: C:\FreeBASIC\bin\win64\gcc.exe -m64 -march=x86-64 -S -nostdlib -nostdinc -Wall -Wno-unused-label -Wno-unused-function -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-main -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O0 -fno-strict-aliasing -frounding-math -fno-math-errno -fno-exceptions -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -masm=intel "C:\FreeBASIC\Progs\Tests\Test.c" -o "C:\FreeBASIC\Progs\Tests\Test.asm"
assembling: C:\FreeBASIC\bin\win64\as.exe --64 --strip-local-absolute "C:\FreeBASIC\Progs\Tests\Test.asm" -o "C:\FreeBASIC\Progs\Tests\Test.o"
linking: C:\FreeBASIC\bin\win64\ld.exe -m i386pep -o "C:\FreeBASIC\Progs\Tests\Test.exe" -subsystem console "C:\FreeBASIC\lib\win64\fbextra.x" --stack 1048576,1048576 -s -L "C:\FreeBASIC\lib\win64" -L "." "C:\FreeBASIC\lib\win64\crt2.o" "C:\FreeBASIC\lib\win64\crtbegin.o" "C:\FreeBASIC\lib\win64\fbrt0.o" "C:\FreeBASIC\Progs\Tests\Test.o" "-(" -lfb -lgcc -lmsvcrt -lkernel32 -luser32 -lmingw32 -lmingwex -lmoldname -lgcc_eh "-)" "C:\FreeBASIC\lib\win64\crtend.o" .

4. Compiler errors: Would it be possible to change this to a single click?
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

The compiler options not showing in the log file is a strange behaviour. All the editor does is read the log file as generated by FB and then display it in the editor. No processing is done by the editor on the log file.
c-sanchez

Post by c-sanchez »

pufff, while don't have Windows XP support this is useless :/
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

thank you Paul :-)
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

c-sanchez wrote:pufff, while don't have Windows XP support this is useless :/
Windows XP released in 2001 and support for it ended April 2014. Time to move on. :-)
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

srvaldez wrote:thank you Paul :-)
Thanks srvaldez - I appreciate the support.
c-sanchez

Post by c-sanchez »

PaulSquires wrote:Windows XP released in 2001 and support for it ended April 2014. Time to move on. :-)
Come on, is seriously?
i hate how daily the programs leave the Windows XP support only because Microsoft stopped the support too. This is really...
i.e. is about a ide, either simple or complex but a text editor at end. not about something that requires security and things that i don't care.
Besides Microsoft, is there any really important reason why the editor does not work in XP?
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

c-sanchez wrote: Besides Microsoft, is there any really important reason why the editor does not work in XP?
Hi c-sanchez, the reason is because the editor uses many api's that are only available in Windows Vista or later. I know people who still use WinXP and I have no problem with that at all (that's why I still have JellyFB and FireFly Visual Designer). How do you test your programs on Vista, Win7, Win8, Win8.1 and Win10? A lot in the Windows world has changed since WinXP especially in the GUI areas. Just curious.

Hope that helps. Sorry that you can not use the editor. I appreciate your feedback though.
St_W

Post by St_W »

Yet another IDE for FreeBasic.

I've tried it, but let me talk about the code it was built on first: I think that the framework for all that frequently used stuff like Unicode support or object-oriented GUI programming is the actual treasure of this package as of now, because it provides all the basic things that are very useful for any other Windows GUI application created with FreeBasic.

Now some words on the IDE itself: It's definitely promising, but as of now many features are still missing to be actually useful IMHO. My #1 missing feature is code completion and help tooltips for (at least built-in) functions. Other, not as important (for me), features include:
- flexible compiler option selection (32/64-bit; GUI/console is not enough flexible for me)
- unobtrusive: non-modal notification for compile success, search box like in VisualStudio 2015, ...
- flexible window layout: e.g. docking of toolwindows, split window, multi-window/multi-screen
- debugging
What I already like in the current implementation (among others):
- 32/64-bit, Unicode & Internationalization support
- Easily configurable, nice UI, many examples/templates

I also like that a open platform and license is used for development, but also a bit critique here: it's usually bad practice to put binaries into VCS-repositories. GitHub allows to upload "releases", so there's no necessity to mix code and build results in the repository.