WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
deltarho[1859]

Re: WinFBE FreeBASIC Editor for Windows (Updated September 27, 2017)

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Hi Paul

Re V1.5.7 we have 'Added: Dual pane split screen file editing.' I think I need to replace my fine tooth comb because, for the life of me, I cannot find it.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

deltarho[1859] wrote:Hi Paul

Re V1.5.7 we have 'Added: Dual pane split screen file editing.' I think I need to replace my fine tooth comb because, for the life of me, I cannot find it.
Top right corner just above the vertical scrollbar... mouse over that and you'll see your mouse cursor change. Drag to resize split window
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Gotcha! Thanks, Paul.

To my left is a 1280x1024 monitor; which my web browser uses amongst a few others. In front of me is a 1920x1080 (16x9) which currently has WinFBE open.

I think most people nowadays will have a a 16x9 or thereabouts. A lot of my source code has a fair amount of right hand side white space and that will still be the case with a horizontal split giving two times 16x4.5. On the other hand with a vertical split we get two times 8x9 and much less white space. Of course, when we view code, doing a 'manual' search for example, we tend to scan vertically much more than we do horizontally. It seems that we can only split a single file into two panes and not have one file in one pane and another file in the other pane.

poseidenFB has a vertical only spilt mode but only if at least two files are loaded. Splitting the same file, which WinFBE can do, is great for 'housekeeping' where functions can be moved about by Cutting and Pasting from one pane to another.

JK-IDE has both horizontal and vertical splitting on one of more files. In fact, it is quite comprehensive: We could have, for example, a horizontal split with one file in the bottom pane and the top pane could be split vertically on the same file. Another set up could be a vertical split with one file in the left pane and the right pane could be split horizontally on the same file.

I remember using JF Pro's vertical splitting of one or more files quite a lot. My memory is going a bit but I think we could horizontal split as well.

Food for thought?
marcov

Post by marcov »

deltarho[1859] wrote:Gotcha! Thanks, Paul.

To my left is a 1280x1024 monitor; which my web browser uses amongst a few others. In front of me is a 1920x1080 (16x9) which currently has WinFBE open.

I think most people nowadays will have a a 16x9 or thereabouts.
If it is for source editing, get a monitor with 90' pivot and enter the 9x16 world. Great for coding and reading of PDFs (e.g. datasheets).

As for the stats, my situation, I mostly have fullhd, though the main screen is pivoted. One of the pivot monitors is not FullHD but the 16x10 variant (1900x1200, an old HP monitor), so 10x19. All the machines with pivoted monitors have a normal fullhd (usually a smaller, cheaper one) as secondary screen though.

I finally pensioned off my last CRT, which did 2048x1536 last year, but have a 1280x1024 LCD but I only use that when I need a temporary monitor for headless systems.

Moral of the message: don't forget 9x16/10x16 if you target creatives or programmers.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@marcov

Good points. I won't go into detail but my set up is such that the keyboard is at the right height for my office chair but the top of the desk, above the keyboard, is higher than normal so my 24 inch 16x9 in portait mode will, at my age, probably lead to a serious mishap in my neck. <Ha>

However, there is no doubt that from a programming perspective it is much better.

Moral of the message: Get a new setup.

The measurements of this will work for me so I will get one next week. Seriously, I will - I have enough trouble with my left knee - I don't want my neck 'going west' as well.<smile>

I still think that WinFBE could be improved upon in this respect such that two files can have a pane each.

Coolman

Post by Coolman »

WinFBE : Tested and adopted, great job...
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Thanks Coolman, appreciate it. Still working on the visual designer portion of WinFBE. Lots of more good stuff to come this year.
Coolman

Post by Coolman »

Well, good news. that's what freebasic needs. that said I assume WinFBE is only for windows. I intend to switch to linux in a few months but I will try to test WinFBE with wine...
lizard

Post by lizard »

Yes, some Windows programs are working perfectly under Linux Mint with Wine. Even with installation and icon on desktop, Like Zet9 and that is a really complicated astrology program.

Sometimes Wine is even better than Windows 10 itself. Many old programs <= XP are working in Linux, but not in Windows 10.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

I would be very surprised if WinFBE works well under Wine. The editor uses a lot of post-Windows XP style APIs so unless Wine has progressed tremendously in the past couple of years then WinFBE under Wine may not be a good solution.
lizard

Post by lizard »

Right, WinFBE doesn`t work here on Wine, Mint 18 64bit.
Coolman

Post by Coolman »

I just tested the latest ReactOS version in a vm under vmplayer :

Freebasic works...

WinFBE does not work...

poseidonFB starts but is not stable...

FBedit starts, works a bit but blocks the system after a while...

In any case, ReactOS is impressive...
lizard

Post by lizard »

Geany works in most cases. But missing a designer there.

I think it should be possible to get any windows program to work in wine, as long there is a original windows 10 on another partition on this box, because you can add these libs from there to wine. Its only some fiddling around and if you can use dual boot to go to win it is not really necessary.
Coolman

Post by Coolman »

Geany 1.33 does not work with an error message related to msvcrt.dll

Geany 1.30.1 works but is very unstable

Finally, geany version 1.24 works...
lizard

Post by lizard »

Seems you are using the windows version of Geany.

I don`t know if ReactOS uses Ubuntu repository. Only knowing it from here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

Intergrating windows support into the kernel is a huge work only a gouvernement like russia can finance i would guess. Better stay with a ubuntu derivate, maybe easier. Then Geany can be easily installed with apt-get like in the script i recently posted:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# freebasic64.bash

# install wget if not already done
sudo apt-get install wget

# download freebasic64, unpack and install:
wget https://www.freebasic-portal.de/dlfiles/674/FreeBASIC-1.05.0-linux-x86_64.tar.gz
tar -xvzf FreeBASIC-1.05.0-linux-x86_64.tar.gz
cd FreeBASIC-1.05.0-linux-x86_64
sudo ./install.sh -i
cd ..

# update system
sudo apt-get update

# install dependencies
sudo apt-get install gcc libncurses5-dev libffi-dev libgl1-mesa-dev
sudo apt-get install libx11-dev libxext-dev libxrender-dev libxrandr-dev libxpm-dev

# install geany and kchmviewer for use with geany
sudo apt-get install geany kchmviewer
That way one can install all together within seconds in Mint or other Ubuntu derivates.