Normal Mapping

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Stonemonkey

Re: Normal Mapping

Post by Stonemonkey »

The idea is to build or load the models and worlds, set up properties and just call the render function instead of a library like GL or anything like that.
xlucas

Post by xlucas »

Man, this is amazing! Every single part of it is in your code, no tricks and it flies on my very average computer with a simple onboard video chipset. I wish I were as comfortable with this way of coding. This is art, mate! :)
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

xlucas wrote:Man, this is amazing! Every single part of it is in your code, no tricks and it flies on my very average computer with a simple onboard video chipset. I wish I were as comfortable with this way of coding. This is art, mate! :)
This worked for you on linux?
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

vdecampo wrote:Can any of these functions be generalized into a software rendering library of sorts? This is very nice work.-Vince
Yes, as impressive as these demos can be they don't offer anything of practical use to those with lesser programming and math know how who would like to do some 3d stuff in pure FB.
xlucas

Post by xlucas »

Yep. Didn't have to make any change. Just compiled the code directly and it ran smoothly. I have an average (or lower-end) computer. AMD Athlon II... only 2G RAM... no graphics card other than built in.
thesanman112

Post by thesanman112 »

VERY cool indeed, how many triangles are being rendered....?? Very interesting lighting effect indeed.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

xlucas wrote:Yep. Didn't have to make any change. Just compiled the code directly and it ran smoothly. I have an average (or lower-end) computer. AMD Athlon II... only 2G RAM... no graphics card other than built in.
Me neither, no graphics card and absolutely fluid and shiny. Nice work really.
Stonemonkey

Post by Stonemonkey »

thesanman112 wrote:VERY cool indeed, how many triangles are being rendered....?? Very interesting lighting effect indeed.
If you un-rem line 976 (I think)

movd mm0,[argb] 'triangle random colour

It'll show the unshaded triangles with random colours.
Stonemonkey

Post by Stonemonkey »

BasicCoder2 wrote:
vdecampo wrote:Can any of these functions be generalized into a software rendering library of sorts? This is very nice work.-Vince
Yes, as impressive as these demos can be they don't offer anything of practical use to those with lesser programming and math know how who would like to do some 3d stuff in pure FB.
Im doing this with the aim of making more than this demo, making it fairly easy to use and build/load objects and worlds and manipulate them to some extent.
thesanman112

Post by thesanman112 »

Its always neat to see others work. So hows the work going for worlds and objects and stuff...??
thesanman112

Post by thesanman112 »

ive built and worked on the very thing your doing...when it gets interesting is when storing massive or unlimited size worlds that generate on the fly....and record whats being built to HD as you walk or move through it. But truth be told it gets repetitious, I like the ROOMS look, where theres walls and such, dark shaded areas where HORROR lurks!!! like QUAKE...I got the beta release to test. It is all over facebook!! HAHAHA
Stonemonkey

Post by Stonemonkey »

Haven't ever considered generating on the fly, all been generated in one go in code and done some simple city type environments, mostly repeating grid based buildings and roads to test things though it'd be easy enough to add more variety, just time consuming but since its the code I'm working on I've never bothered too much with the actual content. Done some indoor scenes too with tunnels and rooms. This example of parallax mapping is just something else I want to have when I try to put everything together.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

thesanman112 wrote:... like QUAKE...
Why we still have wars. A killing fest. So good to have bad guys to fulfill the need most males have to kill. A need honed over millions of years by natural selection.

BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Stonemonkey wrote:Im doing this with the aim of making more than this demo, making it fairly easy to use and build/load objects and worlds and manipulate them to some extent.
An obstacle that most wanna be game programmers hit when trying to make a game is the need for quality graphics. What I would find really impressive is a 3d animated entity controllable by a user and usable by a programmer. One which can have its dimensions shaped as you might with Plasticine. All vertebrates have the same set of bones be they a horse or a man so they could be generic to all the entities.
thesanman112

Post by thesanman112 »

Sounds like 3d studio....or even roblox studio is getting to that point. I believe the heart of the games comes from scenic views, like eye candy, the environments themselves is whats so appealing, but its truly amazing the art work from environments to animated characters....its just keeps getting better and better.