Tech Arena

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
coderx75

Tech Arena

Post by coderx75 »

Hello all!

I've been working on Tech Arena for the past several years using FreeBASIC, Lua, ODE, OpenGL and FMOD. Tech Arena is a vehicular action game on the surface while sporting a deep customization system. How deep? You can pretty much write your own components in Lua (using an in-game source editor/debugger) and build virtually anything you can imagine. The operation of unit components do fall under strict physical rules which balances units of opposing teams. However, by advancing in different technologies, you can progress with more powerful units.

Here's a video of a rare instance where I actually manage to best the AI, zip through some terrain and snipe a stationary turret with a rocket. You'll notice that things may blow up in combat. These are critical hits where I was lucky enough to hit an energy reserve, causing a chain reaction with other reserves in the enemy unit. If you can do this early in the battle when their reserves are full, the results are spectacular.

http://youtu.be/TC-mokhdhRc

So far, the project consists of 90,000 lines of FB and Lua code (about 75% of that is FB).

Jason Flaherty
tinram

Re: Tech Arena

Post by tinram »

Hello Jason,

Looks impressive in the video - fast, smooth, nice background. Just a bit dark in the foreground.

Very promising.
Amundo

Re: Tech Arena

Post by Amundo »

Very impressive stuff!

Nice work.

How do you add tracer rounds :-)