WorldSim3D game engine for FreeBasic

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
TJF

Re: WorldSim3D game engine for FreeBasic

Post by TJF »

Kot wrote:The problem with most network libraries here is that they are designed to send just strings, not raw data used in games.
FB STRINGs can hold any kind of data. Using a UNION it's pretty easy to pack raw data, or unpack them. Find an example here
Tyr_Anassazi

Post by Tyr_Anassazi »

I'd strongly suggest to use a library for which the source code is available (just think about the currently added x64 platform).
I've seen this library too (v3.2). I like it. Many functions, a dozen of examples and it is good commented. Of course, before I use a library (D.J.Peter's, TSNE or other), I will carefully examine it, to meet the needs of users as far as possible. Thanks for the info and the link, St_w.

Thanks for the example, TJF... hmm it turns out that there is TSNE v3.5! I want to see what has changed. Image
St_W

Post by St_W »

Kot wrote:The problem with most network libraries here is that they are designed to send just strings, not raw data used in games. They are good to create a www server, but complex arrays consisting strings, numbers (like unit's name, its coordinates, ammo etc) need to be converted in often troublesome way. [...]
There exists an extension for TSNE which aims to do just that: It is called EGNP (EasyGameNetPlay) (formerly called TSNEplay).
Unfortunately it seems that the description is only available in German as of now, but you may try Google Translate/Microsoft Translator or similar services.
http://www.freebasic-portal.de/projekte ... ay-85.html
Kot

Post by Kot »

TJF wrote: FB STRINGs can hold any kind of data. Using a UNION it's pretty easy to pack raw data, or unpack them.
Not quite. Try inserting into gothon's example lines (right under the Print Unionk._Str):

Dim SomeText as string=Unionk._Str
print SomeText

and you'll see what I mean - SomeText equals Unionk._String until the first appearance of chr(0), the rest is gone. And the line like this is in the Data_Send procedure of TSNE, so gothon's method won't work.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Nice work man. :)
I don't know what anyone else thinks about it, or how much experience anyone else has with it, but enet is a pretty good network lib, in my opinion.
TJF

Post by TJF »

Kot wrote:
TJF wrote: FB STRINGs can hold any kind of data. Using a UNION it's pretty easy to pack raw data, or unpack them.
Not quite. Try inserting into gothon's example lines (right under the Print Unionk._Str):

Dim SomeText as string=Unionk._Str
print SomeText

and you'll see what I mean - SomeText equals Unionk._String until the first appearance of chr(0), the rest is gone. And the line like this is in the Data_Send procedure of TSNE, so gothon's method won't work.
I guess you refer to this post
Did you see this lines in my code (above that post)

Code: Select all

' this is the STRING we send by TSNE
VAR TSNE = MID(Typek._Str, 1, SIZEOF(Typek)) ' copy including zero-bytes !!!
or this lines in gothons code

'Note: Unionk2._Str = Unionk._Str does not copy past the first 0 byte
Unionk2._Str = Mid(Unionk._Str, 1, SizeOf(tTypek))
A fixed length STRING is terminated by a zero byte. To copy the complete string you've to use MID function (or LEFT, RIGHT doesn't work).
fxm

Post by fxm »

IMHO, 'Mid(str, 1)' should be sufficient.

Dim s1 As String * 10, s2 As String * 15, s As String

Mid(S1, 1) = "0"
Mid(s1, 10) = "9"
Print "'"; : Print s1; : Print "'"
Print

s2 = s1
Print "'"; : Print s2; : Print "'"
s = s1
Print "'"; : Print s; : Print "'"
Print

s2 = Mid(s1, 1)
Print "'"; : Print s2; : Print "'"
s = Mid(s1, 1)
Print "'"; : Print s; : Print "'"

Sleep

'0        9'

'0              '
'0'

'0        9     '
'0        9'
Last edited by fxm on Nov 21, 2014 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
fxm

Post by fxm »

The above behavior is it normal (expected)?
It could probably be improved.
Last edited by fxm on Nov 21, 2014 22:18, edited 2 times in total.
Kot

Post by Kot »

TJF wrote:Did you see this lines in my code (above that post)
or this lines in gothons code
<shame mode on>
<walks away to scatter ashes on his head for penance>
<shame mode off>
*system error: can't exit shame mode until writing something that makes sense*
Tyr_Anassazi

Post by Tyr_Anassazi »

<External AI mode via network system:>
<connecting to Kot...>
<login... password... access granted>
<<You are modest, Kot.>>
<<Не who makes no mistakes, makes nothing.>> Image
<<You have been making much, so anyway, your contribution is appreciated.>>
< disconnecting...>

fxm, thanks for shedding some light on the matter.
fxm

Post by fxm »

jepalza

Post by jepalza »

Great Job!

Does you remember this post? --> http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopi ... &start=900

did try to compile new version of orrlitch in the past (look this --> http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopi ... 85#p184960 )
Has several problems with textures and shadows and decided to abandon the project so complex that was.

You goes for it!! If you need me help, say me. I will be attentive to your work.
Tyr_Anassazi

Post by Tyr_Anassazi »

Hello, jepalza.
Thanks for the feedback!

My fellow-worker and I compiled the engine with Irrlicht 1.7.3 with no texture rendering trouble. Compiling for Irrlicht higher versions failed so far.
Yes, you help will be be welcomed ! I've sent you an e-mail (reply to yours).

Small announcement: WorldSim3D 0.9.2 is done and being prepared for release. It is enriched with some tools and features. For example, there is a casual game template is made. One can easily create a casual or even adventure/quest game with it. Another tool is a "Wizard" for an easy game project start: no more pain with headers, paths, libraries and so on (all 'dirty work' is done). All stuff is generated to "MyProjects" folder and you are ready to go. Image
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

Great that you are continuing Frank Dodd's work here. My most complex and (abandoned, so far) Freebasic game (Merchants of Power) is based on his Irrlicht wrapper. (I also had to recompile Irrlicht, but that's another story...)

I think documentation is the most important thing.

When you combine more than just Irrlicht, the problem of documentation becomes very tricky... Irrlicht's docs weren't so great when I was working on my game and it all threw me off and slowed me down.
Tyr_Anassazi

Post by Tyr_Anassazi »

Hi, agamemnus. Image

Thanks for your feedback. I've just seen your game's screenshots. Serious project. I'll download and look at it. I hope, you will go on with it. And by the way, I like the games with history and trading like your project.
I think documentation is the most important thing.
It is. That's why I invested plenty of time to fixing the docs. I also wrote some tutorials and articles on how to use WS3D. They are not in English, but I'm translating them.

One more thing: My fellow and I released a workable Linux version of WS3D. We tested it on Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint.
We also started make video tutorials for the engine.
_____
Edit:
I downloaded the game archive, but it's damaged (I downloaded 2 times).