World Generator

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Thorbenn

World Generator

Post by Thorbenn »

Hi Guys,

i just wanted to share some Screenshots of my World Generator and Cave Generator with you guys. I am writing a Roguelike RPG that i started in C++ (which was only Ascii back then) now to Freebasic. For this Game i am working right now on my World Generator. What is still missing are Rivers Ice Caps and Villages.

Here a Screenshot from my Cave Generator:

Here the first World that was generated (still without Biomes):

And now three Screens with the Biomes Dessert and Jungle:

Greetings Thorbenn ;)
Kot

Re: World Generator

Post by Kot »

Looks promising. Will you share the source code?
Thorbenn

Post by Thorbenn »

Once I have finished my game and all Generators for the Player Levels I am thinking about making a big pack with the generator codes :)
Thorbenn

Post by Thorbenn »

Just added North and South Pole where it is snowy of course. But i am thinking of changing the Algorithm a bit so that the Edge to being the snowy North or South Pole isn't as "clean" cut as in the Screenshot.

Another thing that needs to be done are the Edges to Water being iced and in the Ocean little Ice patches need to be generated

I am writing a A-Star Pathfinding Algorithm for the Rivers right now so they should be in the World Generator soon
Thorbenn

Post by Thorbenn »

Again another little Update. The Dungeon Generator is now finished and generates beautiful little Dungeons

And for the World Generator another little update. Now floating ice is generated in the cold regions of the map.

Greetings Thorbenn
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

Very impressive looking!
TESLACOIL

Post by TESLACOIL »

It looks very fake and unnatural.

An alternative method is to generate a height map and use erosion ( think pixel rain). Ive seen some superb results with this. The bonus is that you will end up with true lakes, oceans, rivers and seas. It also helps if the original seed is skewed rather than random.

There is a ton of demo's on you tube, well worth a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRBXa1m_Rr8
TESLACOIL

Post by TESLACOIL »

Must add this ( a flat version of Google earth with extra layers including terrain map )
http://www.maps-for-free.com/

A superb visual tool. Really helps you get a feel for natures patterns as well as the stuff we build on top of it. The quality of maps and the quality of game-play are strongly linked. This is true of almost every game.

The secret is making your spreadsheet, and that's all a game is, not look like a spreadsheet (or an algorithmic derivative of a spread sheet) If you can do that then players will happily get sucked in to the alternate reality you have created for them.
jdh15

Post by jdh15 »

Ah, the almighty TESLACOIL, helpful as always...

Your stuff looks pretty good, Thorbenn! World/terrain generators can be quite fun to mess around with. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing what could come from this.
TESLACOIL

Post by TESLACOIL »

Ahh jdh15

1) I have already forgotten more about procedural generation than you will ever know.

2) Im not going say somethings is great when it sucks

3) I am gonna make suggestions as to how to make stuff better

Im quite sure the OP has left kindergarten behind and does not need patronizing.

It is obvious they have put in some effort and they just need to add right cherry and icing.
Thorbenn

Post by Thorbenn »

Added Rivers. Once highlighted red to better show

Thorbenn

Post by Thorbenn »

I worked on the Borders of North and South Pole to make them look nicer. Further more i have increased the Amount of Land getting generated.

What I still want to do is make better borders to the biomes, better spawned mountain ranges and probably a few other things that will pop up while working with the World Generator.
angros47

Post by angros47 »

The width of your image should be twice the height (i.e. 640*320, not 640*480); so, you'd be able to map your image on a sphere, like an equirectangular projection (on a sphere, latitude is half of longitude: 180 degrees vs 360 degrees)
TESLACOIL

Post by TESLACOIL »

Using colors that are easier on the eye ( but still clear) would help. The Human eye 'goes for' brightness levels as much as colors. No hard n fast rules, have to experiment as colour x and brightness y impacts on the rest of the scene.

Colour illusions. they are your friend and enemy, lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_shadow_illusion

Code time is limited i know, but a few interface tweaks here and there tend to go a long way.

Im currently building a 1:1 scale map of the world at 1 meter accuracy. Using techniques similar to yours but much more sophisticated. Insane amount of work for sure. Ive also played a lot of games that use procedural type generation. Over the years Ive got quite good at skewing the data to get interesting / realistic results. A good map goes a long way especially if you want to encourage play-testers to take the game seriously.
TESLACOIL

Post by TESLACOIL »