The Crown of Alegare

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
rdc

Re: The Crown of Alegare

Post by rdc »

Jonge wrote: Just to get back to topic:
Glad your going for tiles instead of ascii art =) Will there be some mouse control, or only keyboard?
This will probably be just keyboard. I don't find the mouse very useful in these types of games. Much easier and faster to type a key than clickety-click all over the place.
relsoft

Post by relsoft »

Cool Rick!!!

Looking forward to seeing this stuff!!!
rdc

Post by rdc »

relsoft wrote:Cool Rick!!!

Looking forward to seeing this stuff!!!
Thanks man. Once I get past all this data defining, I should have a little demo to show. I need to get the character, monster, items and map structures all defined and set up so that you can roam around and actually do something. :)
rdc

Post by rdc »

I have added the race selection screen. These are the different race types in the game. A race may have attribute modifiers, good or bad, and a special trait(s) that can be used in the game.

Pic deleted. Project has changed.
Last edited by rdc on Feb 10, 2013 22:26, edited 4 times in total.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Where are you getting the sprites? Original?
rdc

Post by rdc »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Where are you getting the sprites? Original?
They are from the RLTiles set. They are just tiles though, no animation in them.
Jonge

Post by Jonge »

Looks good so far, might be a bit hard to read the smallest text?
rdc

Post by rdc »

Jonge wrote:Looks good so far, might be a bit hard to read the smallest text?
Yeah, I was thinking that too. I think I will just go with a more readable text for the information. I like the old english look for the larger text, but it may look weird mixing fonts. I'll play with it and see how it looks.
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

Nice to see some progress Rick.
It will be great fun to see this project develop further on.

- Are you going for persistent dungeons or not? (non persistent dungeons like DDD used makes the game every time the player moves up or down stairs, a new dungeon is randomly generated). Wishing for persistent once myself ;)
- Overworld feature (like ADOM, TOME and others)?

Keep up the good work my friend!
rdc

Post by rdc »

Hey Jocke,

Yes to both. For the overworld, I haven't decided yet on random or static, or a mix of the two. Either way it is going to be large, with towns and special locations. The dungeon locations will be randomized on the map and each main dungeon will be devoted to a single item (crown or jewel) with a boss fight at the end for the particular item. There will also be side dungeons for loot gathering, XP farming and such. I want to implement side quests for special items too, so there will be a lot to explore and find.

There is quite a bit that will be going into the overworld portion of the game. There will be a full economy, with taverns and inns that the player can use as a base of operations, a banking system, various types of shops, and guilds which will house training centers and specialized shops.

The banks are going to be a key portion of the game. Each bank has vaults that can be rented and can be used to store valuable items. The vaults were made by the Wizard Guild at the request of the Banking Guild and are persistent across the overworld. It doesn't matter which bank you go to, you can always access your vault and items.

The dungeons will be persistent, so once you clear a dungeon it will be cleared, except for the occasional random spawn that may happen if you re-enter the dungeon. Once thing I am going to implement is the monster spawner that I first saw in the old game Gauntlet (they are also in Minecraft but this was not the first implementation) that will offer some extra challenges.

I am going to build a room editor for the dungeons which will be used to create pre-defined rooms. There is a random chance that a predefined room will be used, and may contain a chest, altar, fountain or spawner, or maybe just a fancy-looking room. Altars and fountains are bonus locations where you can enchant items or gain a random buff or, if you are unlucky, a cursed item or debuff.

One thing I am going to do is limit items to drops and chests. There will not be items laying around on the floor like in most RL games. This is going to add an extra challenge while in the dungeons since items are going to have limited availability. However, you will be able to pick up chests, so you can use them to store items for later retrieval if needed.

Items are also going to be limited use over time. Armor will be ablative, like in Doom, and will wear down with use. The same for swords and such. You'll be able to repair items though, add enchants to items for increased durability, and craft new items. The point here is to keep the player managing resources and to keep them from becoming overpowered over the long term. Resource management will be a key element in the game.

Well, this was a long-winded answer, but yes, the world will be persistent and have a lot of interaction in it. You'll be able to tunnel through and into dungeons, collect resources that you find (gold and mithril for example), build and craft, use spawners as XP farms--a whole host of things not normally found in an RL game. You could really categorize this game as a sandbox RL-RPG with a solid set of goals and clear end-game. It is open-ended though, so you can keep playing after you win the game if you want as there will be a lot you will be able to do and accomplish.

Obviously, this is going to take a while, but I am going to release early and often, so you'll have some play time with the game as I move along. Right now I am slogging through the data portion of the game, but once I get through that, the updates should be out on a regular basis.
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to describe your game like that.
Sounds really cool. Very big goals you got there, but I bet you (if anyone) can manage to pull it off.

I think a good mix of randomly generated dungeons with pre-defined rooms are a great idea. I think Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and Brogue uses that. That can be used for little side-quests within a dungeon. For exsample: One dungeon has a room (pre-defined) with a key that can open another pre-defined room that contains a chest, information, enemy etc.etc. Also it can be used like in Brogue: one the same dungeon level a "tool" is located that is neccesary to have in order to survive the level (a potion of levitation on a level that has burning lava that covers huge amount of the floor for example). The sky is the limit when you're using this sort of dungeons with pre-defined rooms. Cool!

release early and often
Thanks for saying that.
I think with a huge project like this it's very important to start small, and like you stated "release early and often". That will give you not only guidance for development but also feedback on things you've implanted and think you're about to add.
Plus, making this huge game with no pre-releases will not give us the chance to make you change your mind if you gets tired of programming and are about to give up ;)

Good luck Rick!
rdc

Post by rdc »

Thanks man. These are all the ideas that have been rolling around in my pea brain for years now. I decided that I would take my time and make a game that I would want to play for an extended period of time, with all the features that I miss in other games. Time will tell if I succeed, but everything is doable and really not that hard. It just takes time.
Jonge

Post by Jonge »

rdc wrote:Well, this was a long-winded answer, bu...
Not at all, this is the kind of project posts I like to read =)

This sounds like a game I would like to play =) I like the idea of a mix of random and pre made maps.
rdc

Post by rdc »

Heh, thanks. I can ramble on at times though... :)
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I like the sound of this.