The Crown of Alegare

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
rdc

Re: The Crown of Alegare

Post by rdc »

Thanks man. I just want to also say that you guys have always been very supportive of my efforts and I really appreciate it. It makes it all worth it.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Quick off-topic, but since I know Jocke is following this thread, you'll want to read this series as it develops:

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/search/l ... c%20Candle

The CRPG Addict playing through The Magic Candle.

Slightly on-topic, he has a great series of posts about the specific Roguelike games he's played (primarily Rogue and Nethack thus far) and broader posts about Roguelike and general RPG design. Hope I didn't just ruin anyone's productivity for the week. : )
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

Ryan: thanks for that one. Great reading (read two nethack articles that was great).
Shouldn't you also get on with a roguelike? Rick is the only one actually doing roguelikes :) The rest of us (at least ME) just talks about roguelikes :)

Rick: Any news? :) We're eager as always ;)
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

hehe I just play Brogue and wish I could make ASCII look that pretty. ; )

If I could only get libtcod to work in FB, I'd be in action...
TJF

Post by TJF »

Ryan wrote:If I could only get libtcod to work in FB, I'd be in action...
Let's go! Here's an example:
Jonge

Post by Jonge »

Heh no more excuses now Jocke & Ryan, start coding =)
Jocke The Beast

Ouch... No more excuses I guess :)
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Whoa, dude. I guess it's time to try it again. : D
rdc

Post by rdc »

A little update.

I have decided that I am going to make a couple of utility programs to make the data part of this a little easier. I need to define the items before I can fully define the monsters, since some monsters drop items, and it is quite tedious to switch back and forth between the two trying to figure out what is what. Another benefit is that instead of using text files for the data, which I have to parse, I can use type arrays which are extremely easy to save and load, and a bit more secure. Updating the data will be much easier, and folks can use the programs to redefine things if they want. A better solution all around I think. Once I get through this part of the game, things will move along much easier and faster.

I also changed up the fonts a bit; check the album for pics. I am still trying out different fonts on the character generation screen to come up with a good combination. Once I hit on a good set, I can use that for the class screen as well.

Oh, just a teaser here. You may remember my little tutorial on action objects I did way back. I have some fun plans using those in this game. Watch out for traps! :)
rdc

Post by rdc »

Pic deleted. Project has changed.
Last edited by rdc on Feb 10, 2013 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
Jonge

Post by Jonge »

Looks much better :)
Jocke The Beast

Agreed. Look better.

Nice to hear you're still working hard on it! Fun to see how you'll make your traps more "sexy" ;)
rdc

Post by rdc »

Heh. Imagine opening a chest in a room. The chest doesn't open but all the doors close and lock, and a few baddies spawn in the room with you. Say a fire elemental, a soul eater, a vault guard and shadow wrath want to get cozy. The room and doors are made of ironwood so you can't tunnel out. If you kill them all, the chest opens and you find a nice epic item. Fun times indeed. :)
Jocke The Beast

Nice one :) The possibilities will be endless :)

Any idea when we can expect a walk-around-demo?
rdc

Post by rdc »

It will be a while probably. I want to define the data set first so I know what I am dealing with as far as data structures go. This is the hardest part of these games, so I want to get most of it done at the first. There really is a ton of items and enemies in this game, so there is a lot to it.