wxFBE, editor for both Windows and Linux

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
lizard

Re: wxFBE, editor for both Windows and Linux

Post by lizard »

Hi Eric

you are on 64 bit linux? I tried again, in Mint 18.3 64 bit it doesn`t work. Same program from within Mint 18. 2 32 bit works. There you can do

Code: Select all

sudo cp libwx-c-0-9-0-2.so /usr/lib
and most things work. I fiddled around some time with it. Now i have more distros on hd, so i can try in both.

No compiling in 64 bit, only 32 bit. Thats why current version is considered outdated.

Another thing, if you have wine installed you can run the windows "wxFBE.exe" with right click in a filemanager like krusader,
ERICMAUDOUIT

Post by ERICMAUDOUIT »

lizard wrote:Hi Eric

you are on 64 bit linux? I tried again, in Mint 18.3 64 bit it doesn`t work. Same program from within Mint 18. 2 32 bit works. There you can do

sudo cp libwx-c-0-9-0-2.so /usr/lib
and most things work. I fiddled around some time with it. Now i have more distros on hd, so i can try in both.

No compiling in 64 bit, only 32 bit. Thats why current version is considered outdated.

Another thing, if you have wine installed you can run the windows "wxFBE.exe" with right click in a filemanager like krusader,
I made the copy, but when i execute "wxFBE" i receive "wxFBE: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I search for this lib but i don't found were i can get this

What library i must load ??
badidea

Post by badidea »

I suggest Geany as a more simple alternative for Linux.
I just tried wxFBE for the first time. It got it to launch. Had to do "chmod +x wxFBE" first. I have not set the compiler path yet.
I already had "libtinfo5:i386" installed, but I needed to install "libgtk2.0-0:i386" and "gtk2-engines-murrine:i386" as well, but still various GTK warnings/errors.
I stay with Geany.
lizard

Post by lizard »

Thats right, wxFBE itself has nothing to offer Geany not has, except the builtin form designer, which can be downloaded separetly here:

https://www.freebasic-portal.de/projekt ... er-61.html

It comes with examples. But again it all works only on linux 32 bit. Tested again.

Sadly it depends on the wx-c project which was stopped years ago. Today we better use fltk-c or gtk. But there is no such fantastic form designer that can emit source code.
badidea

Post by badidea »

I also tried the standalone designer tool "Visual WX-C Designer".
I had to copy "Visual WX-C Designer 0.5b/lib/linux" to "/usr/lib"
And in addition install "libsm6:i386" and "libjpeg62:i386"

To get rid of the messages:
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
I had to install "libgail-common:i386", "libatk-adaptor:i386" and "libcanberra-gtk-module:i386"

That leaves one message at launch:
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "topmenu-gtk-module"
To fix that would break my "Ubuntu Mate Desktop". I assume this top-menu is the "apple"-like common application menu at the top in stock Ubuntu. Probably not needed.
ERICMAUDOUIT

Post by ERICMAUDOUIT »

Thank you all for your information, I think I will change my shoulder rifle and move me to "GEANY + GLADE".

see you soon
lizard

Post by lizard »

badidea wrote:That leaves one message at launch:
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "topmenu-gtk-module"
To fix that would break my "Ubuntu Mate Desktop". I assume this top-menu is the "apple"-like common application menu at the top in stock Ubuntu. Probably not needed.
Funny to read this. On Mint Cinnamon 18.2 32 bit it all worked perfectly from the beginning, without any error message. Thats why i could not believe it is outdated in the beginning.

Imho, designing forms with this visual designer is the best way to produce a GUI in FreeBASIC. I tried all.

FBEdit, Firefly, FreeQ, (Windows only)

Glade, Fluid and Visual WX-C Designer. (Platform independent)

They all are working and i got working programs. You guess, it took a lot of time trieing it all.
My final result would be, rewriting wxFBE with Gtk (not with Glade) probably would be the best. Sourcecode in FB is available. But its a lot of work.
NorbyDroid

Post by NorbyDroid »

I am running the latest Debian and I cannot get this to work.

./wxFBE: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I have libtinfo installed and not sure how to fix this.
Munair

Post by Munair »

NorbyDroid wrote: Feb 08, 2022 18:39 I am running the latest Debian and I cannot get this to work.

./wxFBE: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Do you have this error only with wxFBE or with compilation in general? Also, what version of FBC are you using?
marcov

Post by marcov »

NorbyDroid wrote: Feb 08, 2022 18:39 I am running the latest Debian and I cannot get this to work.

symlink the name that is asked to whatever libinfo you have or ncurses otherwise.
NorbyDroid

Post by NorbyDroid »

The error only happens for wxFBE.
I have FreeBasic 1.09.0 installed.
I tried to set libtinfo to link to libtinfo.so.5 iin the same folder as the libtinfo, but that wouldn't work.
I also have libtinfo.so.6 when I scan for libtinfo, if that is helpful.