Iceroyds!

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

Added the "CHALLENGE MODE", which will make the game much more interesting for single player.
Landeel

Re: Iceroyds!

Post by Landeel »

I'm (finally) releasing Iceroyds! on Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1068420/Iceroyds/
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Landeel wrote:I'm (finally) releasing Iceroyds! on Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1068420/Iceroyds/
Congrats! That's quite an amazing feat! I liked it very much (reminded me of some great moments I've spent with my sisters when I was a teenager, playing Crash Bash), and I know exactly with whom I'll be spending time with it (my ex and my daughter; it's going to be quite fun!)

I'll write a honest review once I've got it ;)

PS: It would be quite cool if you could share a post-mortem/some insight on the creation/publishing of the game. I think that would be truly amazing.
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

paul doe wrote:Congrats! That's quite an amazing feat! I liked it very much (reminded me of some great moments I've spent with my sisters when I was a teenager, playing Crash Bash), and I know exactly with whom I'll be spending time with it (my ex and my daughter; it's going to be quite fun!)
Hey, thanks for your comments.
I didn't remember Crash Bash, it sure has the same kind of energy.
I used to play Iceroyds with my sisters when I was developing it, and now they're all grown up, and I play with my daughter. :)

paul doe wrote: I'll write a honest review once I've got it ;)
I hope you like it!

paul doe wrote: PS: It would be quite cool if you could share a post-mortem/some insight on the creation/publishing of the game. I think that would be truly amazing.
Yes I can do that. I have learned a lot in the process.
Also, I'll share my Steam code if anyone is interested.
Some is already here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27574
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Wow... Congrats man! Good work! :)
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

Dr_D wrote:Wow... Congrats man! Good work! :)
Thank you!
badidea

Post by badidea »

Nice. If you tell people you write games as a hobby, they might think: "Games? Isn't that something for children?"

But in reality, you need to be good at mathematics, physics, art (graphical, sound/music and overall design), psychology (what do people like), marketing (how to get people to play it), business (in case you sell it) and a good programmer (especially when the project gets big). And probably most important a good self-motivator, because doing nothing is easier.

Every time I try a game, I am surprised by the amount of work needed to get some basics working. Character animation, different character states, interaction with the game world, etc.
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

was this made with FreeBasic?
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

badidea wrote:Nice. If you tell people you write games as a hobby, they might think: "Games? Isn't that something for children?"

But in reality, you need to be good at mathematics, physics, art (graphical, sound/music and overall design), psychology (what do people like), marketing (how to get people to play it), business (in case you sell it) and a good programmer (especially when the project gets big). And probably most important a good self-motivator, because doing nothing is easier.
Yeah, I get this a lot!
I think video games are the most complete form of art. They include visuals, sound, music, animation, story and interaction.

[pride]Yes![/pride]
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

I am really impressed with everything you have done! I do hope that you keep us all updated as to how your game does on Steam - I have been wondering how much money such a project might earn and yours is a great test case.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Landeel wrote:...
[pride]Yes![/pride]
Indeed, I'm pretty happy for you. This also marks a milestone for FreeBasic, hey! The first published FreeBasic game on Steam (AFAIK), so there's plenty to celebrate! =D
Provoni

Post by Provoni »

Very nice Landeel. I'll add your game to my Steam wish list!

Btw, really cute Penguins. :')
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

leopardpm wrote:I am really impressed with everything you have done! I do hope that you keep us all updated as to how your game does on Steam - I have been wondering how much money such a project might earn and yours is a great test case.
I'm not sure it's the best test case. It's a couch game in an online era.
Maybe Steam's "Remote Play Together" can work well enough.

Thank you for your comments.
I'm about to release it.

[edit]aaand... it's published.[/edit]
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Landeel wrote:...
I'm not sure it's the best test case. It's a couch game in an online era.
Whether you believe it or not, there's an entire generation of Millenials like myself that prefer couch games over online crap any day of the week (there's no comparing the two, really). So you may be surprised ;)
Boromir

Post by Boromir »

Congratulations Landeel! I just got my game on steam as well. One thing I'm curious about is how you managed to get steam achievements integrated?