Procedural block world project

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Gonzo

Re: Procedural block world project

Post by Gonzo »

darkhog

Post by darkhog »

Gonzo wrote:sorry darkhog, but ive shut down all external testing
Well, your game sucks anyway. IMO Terasology is far better. It has better terrain generator, and better... everything. I just wanted to give my feedback so your game'll suck less, but if you don't want it, fine. I can live with that.

*goes in the corner and plays Terasology sniffing.
Kot

Post by Kot »

Thinking that way there would be no use in programming for me and thousands of others - there's always better solution, program or game and only few the best would be allowed to create something, leaving for the rest just using. I'm not the best programmer, even a good one. But I like writing my own, simple code. Nothing big, but I like it. Should I stop coding and start using a shovel or, let's say, hammer instead of a computer?
St_W

Post by St_W »

You can rarely compare software projects (presented here) by features or design with other longstanding software developed by big teams out there. That would probably only cause frustration and kill any sort of software project just as it has begun.

But there is an important fact you can compare:

The most considerable difference IMHO is not the fact that Terasology is better/worse than this piece of software, but the fact that former is completely licensed under an free and open source license (Apache License) while latter is not - which makes is far less useful (if even) to other programmers (and that is the primary target group of this forums, I guess).
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

for me my only concern is that i don't want to release something that is half-cooked
the project can't even be considered a game at this point, because i haven't gotten to that stage yet

as for terasology, i can't say it's very advanced, fast or much of a game either at this point
but i hope he continues working on it... procedural worlds is a topic that you can work on your entire life
and block worlds is a good start..

http://fbcraft.fwsnet.net/lensflare.png
working on sun lens flare
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

Gonzo, you're just showing off. That's sign of arrogancy. There may be nothing wrong with it, but if you just want to show off your non-finished and completely non-downloadable game, just make website, like author of CubeWorld did. Frankly, I don't even know what it is doing on FreeBASIC forum as heart of this, world generation, isn't even written in FB.
Last edited by darkhog on Oct 30, 2012 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

this is my personal diary of sorts, and if that's a problem I can certainly move
i don't need a place to show off.. if you search fbcraft on google - you can't find anything

the fact i'm unwilling to distribute more "demos," is a principle all of us who are actually working on this thing has agreed on
it's not up for debate
Jonge

Post by Jonge »

Gonzo: Please keep updating your "diary". Its always interesting to read project diary's. Just curious, how much of fbcraft is written in FB?

Darkhog: If you don't like reading about other peoples projects, then you probably should stay out of the project section of the board..
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

both the generator and client is 100% freebasic
the generator noise code is pure C using gcc, because it's extremely time sensitive, and i'm not the only one working on it
the server nodes (network) are pure C and is being handled by a friend of mine who really knows what he's doing :)

i think in the future any interface mods to the client would also be in C, but we will see
this is because i can add TCC directly inside my exe, and compile C code directly to memory very fast

i haven't posted a video in maybe a year =)
so, here is a video, for those who are interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EbnbjEM6Bg

watch it in fullscreen to see what details are left.. most of the details disappeared in the encoding, and further loss incurred by youtube processing
Westbeam

Post by Westbeam »

Gonzo >:O
Give me a download :(
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

rdc

Post by rdc »

This looks amazing.
Bob the Hamster

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Beautiful! Why did the reflections fail? Performance?
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

yes, to get reflections not only do i have to re-render the entire scene, i also have to recalculate it, and filter out the invisible parts from the new mirrored / reflected angle.. no personal computer can do that :P that's how intensive this game is..
i have no idea if i can improve things, but right now im on the edge of playable vs unplayable, so there was no point in trying to add it back (i used to have it before)