Procedural block world project

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

http://dm.fwsnet.net/nicestuff.PNG

progress on next version :)
Last edited by Gonzo on Jan 18, 2011 0:16, edited 1 time in total.
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

I see bigger mountains (revamped terrain generation, huh?), and possibly a smaller block size... how many blocks are being displayed, can't tell from your window information bar feedback...
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

well, the block sizes havent changed, maybe it was just a strange view
i added proper lighting today, and an enviroment map to make things nicer to look at :)

Conexion

Post by Conexion »

Terrain generator looks great. Unfortunately all of your screen shots and downloads are down. I'll take a look at it again when it's back up :)
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

Hey! update the file for us to download so we can play with your new terrain and lighting features! Sheesh! Dev's never pay attention to their user base!!! LOL j/k

noticed a few quirks: the engine seems to impose its decision to display based on distance depending upon the angle that the user is viewing/pointing. I mean, if I look straight ahead and see a moutnain range, then start to move view towards sky (or down to ground), then the blocks I could see before become foggy as if the distance to them changed, but the user didn't move, just adjusted view angle.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Ok, i have uploaded a more relevant updated version
its still under heavy development so dont expect anything to run smoothly

You can get it from main post, or here: http://dm.fwsnet.net/fbcraft.rar

the only change in keyboard is that you can elevate yourself with T, down with R and toggle flying with F (press it a few times)

otherwise, the engine is being maximally pressured to reveal timing issues, threading conditions, bugs that wouldnt appear otherwise etc.

world generation is also under heavy development, so no need to point out obvious things like "so many" :P theres many, for example, because of testing algorithms that places things

otherwise, report what you find :) or any suggestions
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

LOL! no worries - I realize you are developing this project for you, not me, and not on my personal time frame nor to my specifications! You have done a fantastic job, even in the 'alpha' that it is, and I look forward to spectating more on any progress you care to share.

so, did you write your own Raycasting, correct?
Conexion

Post by Conexion »

Edit:

Alright, went through a proxy and grabbed the file just fine. Not sure why my computer doesn't like that server.

First thing I notice: You cannot alt-tab out. Well, you can, but even when you open up another window, the program still controls your mouse.

Second, if possible, I'd try generating the terrain and the like on a separate thread. Right now, it jumps between super slow, and wayyyyyy fast. When it is loading things, it feels really laggy. When it isn't though, I move far too fast. Jumping also feels very inconsistent.

It looks great, and does exactly what it is set out to do, but I do think that improvements can be made. Good work :)
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

i was working on timing that entire day, and it wasnt done apparently :)
well, ive improved timing alot, and readjusted "walking around", even though this project really isnt even at that stage yet

new version uploaded, same url as before :)
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

You're the Man!
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

Neat idea. I've often thought that the biggest downfall of Minecraft is that it's written in Java. Who the hell tries to write a 3d game in Java? It runs ridiculously slow on any computer that isn't a speed demon computer, and considering that the graphics are retro-style (read: crap, but we don't care because the game play is so enjoyable) that simply should not be the case.

You're probably pretty far from this point, but are you planning to use compatible file formats, eventually support multiplayer mode, etc.? This would be really cool if it's actually designed to fit in with the official Minecraft, because I would love to play Minecraft in a client not written in Java. If it's just going to be a clone with no compatibility whatsoever, I'm less interested but nonetheless applaud the project.

I once participated in the development of a C++ Minecraft server, but that was back in the "Classic Multiplayer" days. A lot has changed since then and I'm afraid I've lost most of my interest in programming for it. Perhaps if this project turns out well I'll be interested in participating. I don't know a thing about 3d programming but as long as it takes place at a higher level than the graphics (UI, networking, file handling, etc.) I could do it. If you want this to go anywhere it's very important to have a clean user interface and a lot of options. The power of Minecraft is that it can be customized, modded, and otherwise played with to the max. Even though it's closed source, it's a very open system. So yeah, my two cents. I'll definitely download the demo and give it a try.

edit: Errm, getting nothing but black space, blue sky, and this grey triangle in the upper right quadrant. Oh yeah, that was only after patiently waiting for a seemingly non-responding window. Should probably display some placeholder graphics while the main graphics is loading. Not exactly a promising start, at least by my standards, but maybe it's my computer. I'm running a netbook while my main computer is being repaired under the warranty in California :( I can't even get Minecraft itself to run on this computer, something about my graphics driver being wrong but I know that's wrong because other OpenGL demos work just fine. Are there some required system specs listed for this?
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

if you read the first few posts, I had the same problem... it was because my laptop didn't have a proper graphics card and I would bet dollars to donuts that your netbook has even a worse problem in that regard than my laptop!

So you gotta wait till you get your real puter back - sorry.
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

Question to notthecheatr:
Since you have played and enjoyed Minecraft, can you identify exactly what you liked about it, especially in multiplayer? Did the hostile environment (skeles at night, etc) factor into your enjoyment or was it just having a big old 3D block paint program?

I appreciate your input.
sir_mud

Post by sir_mud »

I'm definitely going to have to play around with this, it looks awesome. It does seem to run at a playable rate on my laptop, TurionX2 2Ghz w/ 2GB ram on vista (got it for free, runs great 'cept needs moar ram). I did have to disable DEP for the program to run. I may even be interested in helping out if you make the source public ( i heartily recommend Google Code for project hosting, has everything you need and is lightning fast ) although my time is limited. Keep up the great work man!
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

the project is going to end up requiring OpenGL 4.1, at some point
this weekend i will implement VBOs which i think is opengl 2.0
so, no, dont expect laptops without matching support to run this :)
not in the long run, anyways

heres some progress on lighting
http://dm.fwsnet.net/optimizedmultisteplight.PNG