Hacker_v1.1

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
xbgtc

Hacker_v1.1

Post by xbgtc »

Started this text based project recently and it's in it's very early stages but let us know what you think/suggestions/ideas as i hope to finish it someday - cheers.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7z0fr0i1f ... 4.rar/file

F1: Help Screen
F5: Current Mission
Last edited by xbgtc on Jun 30, 2020 9:54, edited 3 times in total.
JaDogg

Post by JaDogg »

cool
Ophelius

Post by Ophelius »

Cool! An Uplink clone! Played around with it and like where this is going. I hope you complete this. You should include fmod with the game though so the user doesn't have to go find it himself.
xbgtc

Post by xbgtc »

Uplink?.. never heard of that one. I remember hacker from i think c64 where you went through those tunnels all over the world :)

I've just uploaded with fmod too and with a miniscule change. I'm not sure how this program will go as i want to try create it as best as i can without getting too repetitive or boring - will update as i progress :)
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

Hi xbgtc,

have you already thought about releasing the source also? If you publish it, we can compile it ourselves for safety and portability reasons.
I usually test unknown binaries in a virtual machine but this method isn't very suited for games as the VM performance is rather weak. ;-)

Thanks in advance!
Sebastian
Ophelius

Post by Ophelius »

What, you never played Uplink? You must. The best hacking simulator I know. Go to this site and check out the video:
http://www.introversion.co.uk/uplink/
xbgtc

Post by xbgtc »

Sebastian wrote:Hi xbgtc,

have you already thought about releasing the source also? If you publish it, we can compile it ourselves for safety and portability reasons.
I usually test unknown binaries in a virtual machine but this method isn't very suited for games as the VM performance is rather weak. ;-)

Thanks in advance!
Sebastian
Well i did but thought it might be too messy as well as badly documented :( and in it's early stages... spose i should as i must admit i too like sources with exes :)

Question - is 1400 lines too much to stick in here?
Ophelius wrote:What, you never played Uplink? You must. The best hacking simulator I know. Go to this site and check out the video:
http://www.introversion.co.uk/uplink/
No i hav'nt but actually did a search after your earlier post and d/l the game and about to install it :) but geez now i'm not so sure if it's worth doing this project if there's already a good hacker game out there :(
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

xbgtc wrote:Well i did but thought it might be too messy as well as badly documented :( and in it's early stages...
I think that will be no problem. ;-)
xbgtc wrote:Question - is 1400 lines too much to stick in here?
Why not put it into your RAR archive as an additional "Src" folder? Users would have all things tied together then.
Ophelius

Post by Ophelius »

xbgtc wrote:
No i hav'nt but actually did a search after your earlier post and d/l the game and about to install it :) but geez now i'm not so sure if it's worth doing this project if there's already a good hacker game out there :(
Doesn't mean you can't improve on it or add your own ideas to it. What I like about Uplink is the versatility to do a lot of stuff. Even when you don't have a mission, you can technically hack into any bank and wire yourself money(which is very difficult and you need the right equipement). In the later stages where I'm at right now I have to hack into a companies mainframe and disable their system by destroying their OS. But to get in, I have to record the admin's voice by a telephone call and play it back to bypass the voice identification system to get to the admin section. Once in, there's even a console similar to a unix console(but much simpler) that you use to go through their directories, delete important os files and then restart their system.

There's a lot to this game, so it will give you ideas. I would suggest getting the full version somewhere and play it thoroughly. You'll get an idea of what's been done, what need improving, and what hasn't been done. I've always wanted to create this sort of game. But to make it non-repetitive and fun it takes a lot of planning and features which can take a long time to design. The user has to feel like he's sitting at a real computer and has a lot of freedom to do many things. I think Uplink's source code it over 100K lines of code.
xbgtc

Post by xbgtc »

@ Sebastian - OK RAR updated with source :)

@ Ophelius - Just tried that DEMO but tutorial got stuck after file transferring so only as far as i got for now :( From what i saw it's great and complicated too! (which i spose it has to be) and a nice interface too. I could never duplicate it as well especially that world map! (funny how i had the similiar idea to the map although a cheaper one).

So you're actually playing it now - cool! and by your description it sounds awesome :)

Agree totally with your last paragraph!...hmm i could never do that game justice except to maybe just create a simpler version of it... i think i'd have to play it like you said and take it from there. Also it's great that you wanted to create the game too and do hope you do someday. I have completed one simulation though and that was Wargames (dunno if you tried it) only because there was nothing really out there i could find so we'll she how it goes - thanks for all that info :)
Ophelius

Post by Ophelius »

What would be cool is to incorporate politics and make it more of a military hacking game. You're working for some global security company or the FBI or something, and you have missions from anything like preventing wars(or starting wars), hacking into countries resource companies, sabotaging countries economies, blackmailing politicians, responsible for keeping your spies hidden, making ties with corporations and banks, etc. Lot's of variations can be made.
xbgtc

Post by xbgtc »

Haha :)

I've just been playing Uplink but got bored after about an hour after i deleted the file instead of copying it haha - some hacker i'd make :)

I think i'll just keep mine simple and try to work out a way for it to be interesting and challenging but not too complex or repetitive - we'll see what happens but i did get a few ideas from the game atleast :)
Ophelius

Post by Ophelius »

Ya, the first missions are repetitive, but if you get a bit further, the missions get really interesting and more challenging.