GTK+tobac (Glade3 to FB code sketcher, GtkBuilder/libglade)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
TJF

GTK+tobac (Glade3 to FB code sketcher, GtkBuilder/libglade)

Postby TJF » Dec 09, 2009 19:43

[EDIT]
    This project is deprecated. The follow-on project is named GladeToBac.
[/EDIT]

GTK+tobac means (GTK+ to Basic). It's a FreeBasic Code Sketcher for generating/updating FB source code for an existing Glade3 GUI-XML file. The FB source code uses the Gimp Tool Kit (GTK+) to implement cross-platform GUI widgets (windows/UNIX).

So GTK+tobac supports rapid application development (RAD) of FreeBasic applications with a graphic user interface (GUI).

In Glade3 the GUI will be designed and saved as an XML-file (*.ui = GktBuilder or *.glade = libglade). GTK+tobac can load and analize this file and then generate some cross platform FreeBasic source code to show and handle the GUI-widgets on Win32 or Unix/Linux.

Unlike glade2bas (haegartheroot) or glade2fb (Galeon), GTK+tobac uses an alternative method to bind the GUI-XML file to the FreeBasic source, targeting a higher level of automation. GTK+tobac supports the automatic generation of a first draft, as well as further expansion or reviews of the GUI-XML-file. Therefor GTK+tobac is recommended for big software projects.

Some features:
    * automatic generation of matching callback parameter lists
    * generates source code for GtkBuilder (*.ui) or libglade (.glade)
    * generates references for Objects (Widgets)
    * up to date GTK binding 'inc/GTK-2.22.0_TJF.bi' included
    * can be used with older GTK versions as well
    * multilingual GUI (English/German)
    * automation due to command line parameter
    * folder for GUI files (tobac)
    * integration of Glade file into binary
    * Generates ReadMe.txt and makefile
    * Generates project files for different IDEs
    * GPLv3, source code included
    * self hosting (source is example on how to use)

Download:
http://www.freebasic-portal.de/downloads/ressourcencompiler/gtktobac2-2-0-131.html

How to use (installing Glade3, GTK+ and GTK+tobac):
    2 Download GTK+tobac and unzip in some folder.
    3 Run ./GTK+tobac (GTK+tobac.exe).
    4 You may use a copy of 'src\GTK+tobac.ui' as a test-file and check the '/src/*.bas'-files for an example.

Edit: link to current version, text improvements.
Last edited by TJF on Jun 01, 2011 20:59, edited 12 times in total.
Jim Barlow

Postby Jim Barlow » Dec 10, 2009 2:31

Looks good, more english, please.
TJF

Postby TJF » Dec 10, 2009 6:30

Jim Barlow wrote:Looks good ...

Thank you!

Jim Barlow wrote:..., more english, please.

Here you are:
    1) Setup GTK to English (see http://www.gtk.org).
    2) Run GTK+tobac2 and press Crtl-L (or choose menu 'Hilfe' -> 'English', or use parameter -len at command line prompt like 'GTK+tobac2.exe -len')

Voila: every word is English now! The menu, the labels, the tooltips, the protocol, ...

If you still need more English, your help is welcome.
fxm

Postby fxm » Dec 10, 2009 8:44

Where to get all the DLL called?
TJF

Postby TJF » Dec 10, 2009 8:59

fxm wrote:Where to get all the DLL called?

Have a look at ReadMe.txt:
Software requirements:

Freebasic (mind. 0.20) (http://www.freebasic.net)
Glade3 (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=98754)
GTK+ >= 2.14 (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=98754)
optional: an IDE like e.g. Geany

or google!
Galeon

Postby Galeon » Dec 10, 2009 10:20

You also integrated some functionalities of glade2fb? I could help you in your project if you want, I think that's better than sharing some code.
You may also create your own installer for Windows if you don't want people messing up with GTK+ libraries, you may use my installer, I will give you the NSIS sources if you want.
TJF

Postby TJF » Dec 10, 2009 10:52

Galeon wrote:You also integrated some functionalities of glade2fb?

Yes, see http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14606. Thanks again for publishing your code.

Do you agree: ProjectName, ProjectYear and ProjectVersion in not necassary as a user entry? What do you think about using separate files for callbacks?

Galeon wrote:I could help you in your project if you want, I think that's better than sharing some code.

Your help is welcome! I'm not keen on windows and I do not know the IDEs used there. So your code allready was a big help for me. Let's see what's coming next.

Galeon wrote:You may also create your own installer for Windows if you don't want people messing up with GTK+ libraries, you may use my installer, I will give you the NSIS sources if you want.

Thank you and welcome again! I'm not keen on installing issues. Feel free to create an installer for GTK+tobac2. How can I support?
TJF

GTK+tobac2 installer

Postby TJF » Dec 10, 2009 11:01

@Galeon:

PS: I made some smaller changes today. If you make an installer I'll serve the latest version.
Galeon

Postby Galeon » Dec 10, 2009 11:01

I'm fond of open source programs, so I release my own as open source.
I have Ubuntu Linux as my OS, but I also have MS Windows XP. If you don't like Windows but needs to test your program, install wine in Linux. GTK+ doesn't work in the 1.0 release, I use the wine1.2 package in Ubuntu.
Those year, version, etc. changes often, you need to add some code to change them if you need those.
I think it is good to have each signals a separate file, but using the signal name will make the file name very long.
Galeon

Postby Galeon » Dec 10, 2009 11:05

I would if you want, I will release it tomorrow, if I'm not busy tonight.
TJF

Postby TJF » Dec 10, 2009 11:11

Galeon wrote:I think it is good to have each signals a separate file, but using the signal name will make the file name very long.

This depends on the widget names. I had no problem since I use GTK+tobac. As I know, file names can be up to about 250 characters?!

OK, I like short names.
Galeon

Postby Galeon » Dec 10, 2009 11:15

TJF wrote:
Galeon wrote:I think it is good to have each signals a separate file, but using the signal name will make the file name very long.

This depends on the widget names. I had no problem since I use GTK+tobac. As I know, file names can be up to about 250 characters?!

OK, I like short names.

If you have a good parser, use widget names. You may use lfn, but the users may not like that.
TJF

GTK+tobac installer

Postby TJF » Dec 13, 2009 13:25

Galeon wrote:I would if you want, I will release it tomorrow, if I'm not busy tonight.

Galeon seemed to be very 'busy' that night! So I made a guide how to test GTK+tobac2 on windows. See the first post!
Galeon

Re: GTK+tobac installer

Postby Galeon » Dec 14, 2009 10:25

TJF wrote:
Galeon wrote:I would if you want, I will release it tomorrow, if I'm not busy tonight.

Galeon seemed to be very 'busy' that night! So I made a guide how to test GTK+tobac2 on windows. See the first post!

I have finished the installer, its just not working on the translations which is not working.
Here is the link:
http://www.galeon.exofire.net/projects/installers/GTK+tobac2-2.0.0.0.exe
Sources of installer:
http://www.galeon.exofire.net/projects/installers/GTK+tobac2-installer-source.tar.gz

You have not provided a logo with your program, you can edit the images used in the program from the sources of the installer. I have used the images from my own program.

You may also translate it to your own language, just fill this:

Code: Select all

LangString TEXT_INSTTYPE1         ${LANG_GERMAN}      "Full"
  LangString TEXT_INSTTYPE2         ${LANG_GERMAN}      "Minimal"
  LangString TEXT_FINISHPAGE_README   ${LANG_GERMAN}      "Show $(PRODUCT_README)"
  LangString TEXT_FINISHPAGE_START   ${LANG_GERMAN}      "Start ${PRODUCT_REGISTRY_KEY}"
  LangString DESC_SecCore         ${LANG_GERMAN}      "Core program files."
  LangString DESC_SecGrpGTKp      ${LANG_GERMAN}      "GTK+ related files. Install if you don't have GTK+ installed."
  LangString DESC_SecGTKCore      ${LANG_GERMAN}      "Core libraries for GTK+."
  LangString DESC_SecGTKGlade      ${LANG_GERMAN}      "Glade library."
  LangString DESC_SecGTKMSW32Theme   ${LANG_GERMAN}      "Use your current theme in Microsoft Windows as application's theme."
  LangString DESC_SecGrpLic         ${LANG_GERMAN}      "Different license notices that you can use in your program."
  LangString DESC_SecLicGNUGPL3      ${LANG_GERMAN}      "The newest version of the General Public License."
  LangString DESC_SecLicGNUGPL2      ${LANG_GERMAN}      "Currently the most popular version of the General Public License."
  LangString DESC_SecLicGNULGPL21   ${LANG_GERMAN}      "Less restrictive General Public License version 3, commonly used for libraries."
  LangString DESC_SecLicGNULGPL2   ${LANG_GERMAN}      "Less restrictive General Public License version 2, commonly used for libraries."
  LangString DESC_SecLicBSD         ${LANG_GERMAN}      "BSD License is one of the most widely used licenses."
  LangString DESC_SecLicZlib      ${LANG_GERMAN}      "Zlib License is one of the most widely used licenses."
  LangString DESC_SecLicApache20   ${LANG_GERMAN}      "Apache's license."
  LangString DESC_SecLicFreeware   ${LANG_GERMAN}      "A common license notice for Freeware programs."

I'm also creating an installer for Glade, using only 30+mb, than glade's 110+, but including the translations so you could still use it in German, etc.
TJF

GTK+tobac installer

Postby TJF » Dec 14, 2009 20:19

@Galeon: Well done! Look and feel is realy good. Nice picture and icon!

If you don't matter, I'll use your icon in the next version.

Return to “Projects”