New IDE

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
marcov

Post by marcov »

cha0s wrote:Hey, nice lookin' app you got going here! Qt ftw. I wish we could use Qt with FB but I think that will never happen (the moc, for one)
moc?
brybry
Project Member

Post by brybry »

I like your new IDE. I have a few suggestions.

Perhaps you could add the ability to change the background color of the code editor? I may have a strange preference, but I am so used to a black background (easier on the eyes) that it is nearly impossible for me to get used to a white background.

Also, maybe the app could remember the last directory used in the Open/Save dialog box? Always having it revert to the directory that the IDE is stored in is very annoying.

Lastly, allowing opening of multiple files would make it easy to import projects with many files.

Keep up the good work!
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

marcov wrote:moc?
(I don't know, but this looks like a good match:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_%28tool ... t_compiler)
cha0s
Site Admin

Post by cha0s »

Yeah exactly. Part of what makes Qt So Freakin' Awesome (TM) are essentially extensions on top of C++.[1] We would have to implement a moc that pre-compiled FB in order to use Qt to its fullest extent. If you've ever worked with Qt and discovered the power/flexibility of the signal/slot paradigm, you'll see why it would be kinda ghetto to not have that if we bound with FB.

I should also add that Qt Creator which is like the best RAD tool I've ever used (ok, I admit I haven't used many, but still ;) would have to have an FB branch, otherwise we just threw away RAD or duplicated years of effort.

[1] "Implementations in native C++ exist in other libraries, but Trolltech viewed macros as a necessary trade-off to provide introspection and the dynamically generated slot and signal mechanism."

Anyways this is off-topic... ;)

@Steuber, I would be interested to see your work with Qt/FB, but it would probably mak more sense to start a new forum topic, so it doesn't get all muddled here with your nice IDE work. :)
Galeon

Post by Galeon »

What's the name of your IDE?
Stueber

Post by Stueber »

The most popular name in the german forum is FBpro.
Stueber

Post by Stueber »

Hi everybody,

Since my last post on the 18th March is a lot happening with my project.
In the next month will release an new release and I wanted to tell you what happened since the last version. Here is a list of new features:

Designer
  • I have worked for 2.5 months in a designer, much like that of McLovin, but still different
  • The designer is integrated into the IDE and is completely open-source
  • He works on Windows and Linux and BSD
  • It generates code for GTK or Winapi
  • It allows you to add new controls without C + + knowledge
  • It allows you to add new properties without C + + knowledge
  • All controls and properties are scripted and are also drawn by using scripts
  • The output is a XML, but you can see the generated BASIC code
  • You can also edit form and preview in split-view. Changing the one changes the other.
IDE
  • The IDE allows to use any number of projects and files at the same time
  • Each project can have unlimited number of compiler-profiles
  • I am working on autocomplete, code folding and calltips. In first tests, everything worked, including namespaces and types.
Planned features in next month:
  • Event-processing with the designer
  • Menu Editor
  • Box-Model (GTK)
  • Undo / redo for the designer
I hope some of you are interested and hope to criticism or suggestions :)
sir_mud

Post by sir_mud »

Is ther e a public source code repository where we could check out the work in progress and maybe contribute? If you don't have one Google Code is very easy to setup and provides Subversion or Mercurial hosting along with a Wiki and Bug tracker. It's also super fast compared to sf.net's web site. Looking forward to the new release.
Stueber

Post by Stueber »

Yes, there is a public svn repository. It is hosted by freebasic-portal.de. But the repository isn't up-to-date. First I have to merge a lot of code of old versions, for example autocomplete and calltips.
joseywales72

Post by joseywales72 »

Great news Stueber. Especially the news of a cross platform IDE and UI designer is superb. Looking forward to testing it.
Also, the choice of GTK as a cross platform GUI is spot on. Qt is maybe nicer, but it being C++ and the need to be wrapped are show stoppers. Btw, how is your Qt project going?
marcov

Post by marcov »

cha0s wrote:Yeah exactly. Part of what makes Qt So Freakin' Awesome (TM) are essentially extensions on top of C++.[1] We would have to implement a moc that pre-compiled FB in order to use Qt to its fullest extent.
Why? Trolltech does this so it can target any standards compliant C++ compiler. But you can extend FB as you see fit and avoid this kind of hackery ?

We have exactly the same problem with COCOA on Mac, for which Objective Pascal extensions are being implemented.
Stueber

Post by Stueber »

Also, the choice of GTK as a cross platform GUI is spot on. Qt is maybe nicer, but it being C++ and the need to be wrapped are show stoppers.
First, I wanted to write "GTK or Winapi or Qt" but I think, it is too early for this. However, you can add a whole toolkit to the designer with scripts and without C++ knowledge. In the last month, I haven't enough time for the Qt-Wrapper, but I will finish him in the future.

BTW, I forgot an important new feature of the IDE:
Project-Templates, for example "New Winapi Project". Project-Templates are saved in extern files, so you can add more templates for you or share your own templates with other people. A template can contain any file and folder-structure and any number of compiler-profiles.
nanjingabcdefg

Post by nanjingabcdefg »

Can someone give me instructions on how to compile it under ubuntu 10.04 32-bit?
I tried make,but failed,telling me:
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

How to compile it?
Stueber

Post by Stueber »

Hi,
to build the IDE you need the Qt SDK. With the .pro file and the SDK, compiling is easy. But the latest sources are old, you should wait a few weeks. In a few weeks I will release a completely new written version (including linux binaries).
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

(including linux binaries)
Finally a proper FB IDE for Linux.