DDD2

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

A warm welcome to Éowyn! Our baby girl just turned one. Is it your first? It was hard but a labor of love, which grows startlingly in a year.

@rdc, DDD2 looks really fun, I'll be having a download as soon as it's available.

Jocke, you're 33? I find that even being married with a daughter, I'm still probably the youngest on this board. Buncha old folk! x] Nah, but I haven't seen you in a long time. You don't remember me, I bet.. but I remember when you were making Dark Woods. Fun stuff :) Good times.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thanks, mrToad! Will pass on the welcome. She is indeed our first, and we're currently focusing on being as overwhelmingly loving as possible. : )

Maybe some day she'll play Roguelikes with daddy.

Now there's an interesting thought... a Roguelike geared toward children...
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

:)

Yea, it would have to have some nifty large graphics, but that's a cool idea. Hey I might have to steal that idea and make something for Arie one day.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Didn't know where else to post this for the people in this thread to see, so you guys should reeeeeealllly check out:

http://www.roguetemple.com/2009/12/13/r ... assemblee/

Awesome Roguelikes in development and some _amazing_ free tilesets for RL development!
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

nice!

Slashie (CastlevaniaRL, ZeldaRL...) has a entry I think...
rdc

Post by rdc »

Just a little update here. As I was working on this, I decided I didn't want to do the same old run of the mill roguelike game, so I have been refactoring the game. I have decided to go with a card mechanic for the game, while keeping the RPG elements of the original. Here is a pic of the monster card design, which is of course subject to change.

Jocke The Beast

Sweet Rick!
Keep us posted :)
Sounds like a interesting idea !
badmrbox

Post by badmrbox »

Looks nice :P
rdc

Post by rdc »

Thanks. I am redesigning the cards a bit. Here is the new monster card:

Each class of card will have a letter to mark the type of card.

Weapons:

Armor:

This is so that when stacked you'll be able to see the type of card by looking at the letter designation and will help the player sort the cards in their hand.

I have also updated the info on the game at my website:

http://sites.google.com/site/rickclark5 ... nformation

This is a bit of an experiment. Folks have mixed thoughts on the idea of a card-based roguelike. If nothing else, it will expand the genre a bit.
MystikShadows

Post by MystikShadows »

Hey rdc,

I think you're right, I really like the concept of cards added to DDD2 :). Great idea. and it then becomes much easier to add special possibilities with these. :)
rdc

Post by rdc »

Thanks man.

I think it does open up possibilities that may not be there otherwise. There certainly won't be any lack of content. Right now I have 200 different monsters, each with their own unique abilities--and I have just started. :)

Of course it all comes down to a fun game. If it is fun to play then I will be happy.
rdc

Post by rdc »

Well, I am still tinkering with the card design. The cards were a little too large, so I resized them a bit so that I can set up the battle page the way I wanted. I also simplified the design a bit since it was just not that readable before. I think this is pretty close now:

The character card will much like this. The items cards won't need all this information, so I may be able to make them a little smaller to fit more on the screen. They have to be a min size for the icons and text, so the width will probably be the same, but I may be able to shave off some height. I'll know more when I get to the items.
rdc

Post by rdc »

I have the player character cards working now. Here is a pic of both the pc and monster card:

The letter on the player card is the current adventure school the character belongs to. The F here means the Fighter School. Since you can join more than one school, the schools will be listed along the side of the card. The skill and spell cards for a particular school will have the same letter identifier on them.
rdc

Post by rdc »

Btw, I have set up a devblog on this on my Windows Live site:

http://rickclark58.spaces.live.com/blog/

All the DDD2 entries have the tag DDD2.
Jocke The Beast

Sweet!
I really like the look of your cards and the idea sounds more and more cool! Happy coding Rick!

Ps. Thailand was great btw :)