Alvarian Tales Project - March 2013

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

That looks really really good. Can you move around in the environment or are they stills?
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

@rollie Yes you can move around and walk around the chairs and tables and things. They're just separate objects overlain and have some basic polygon zones used for layering and bounding. There is also pathfinding so if you click somewhere the character will find a way. Thanks for your comment!

@lachie That's true I will need to be able to create a more worn feeling in some locations, if not here. I can edit the textures and photoshop them a little, if I can find some method to make the carpet look more used for example. Thanks for that advice.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Intro video added, and new screenshot. See original post.
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

Pathfinding is a wonderful thing. :)
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

Very impressive. You can write, draw, create music, program. Quite a skill set you got there.

Your accent sounds midwestern. Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas...
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Thanks for watching! I hope I didn't come across like bragging... I do not think I'm very good at the things I do. Where did you learn that I write?

I live in South Carolina. I've never been to those states you mentioned! Haha. I was born in California but I moved away when young, so don't think I have their accent. Does it sound southern? I'd like to know...
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

Thanks for watching! I hope I didn't come across like bragging... I do not think I'm very good at the things I do. Where did you learn that I write?
You told me, somewhere in my random poem generator thread. Then when I heard your accent, I tracked down your profile on the forums to see where you were from, to check if I was right in placing the accent. That information led me to your website, where I sampled your poems (I'm a poet). I thought they were good, you like to write down the page as opposed to across it. You tend toward lists of images, nicely tethered together, and evocative descriptions which emote through your imagery.

I'm more in my comfort zone when writing across the page, so I've been doing more "vertical" poems lately.

You did not come across as bragging, but nor do you think that you are "not very good." But false modesty is repulsive! You're proud of the work you produce, and enjoy sharing it with others. You aren't a master of any of these trades, not for lack of talent, but due to a refusal to specialize. A master would have a more expansive skill set technique-wise, and in the video-game industry this is apparent in practice.

Still the capacity to be competent in all these disciplines is rare and impressive (to me). You're a better game programmer than I am, which Lachie will vouch for. But maybe I can redeem myself with a text adventure which will better showcase my talents.
I live in South Carolina. I've never been to those states you mentioned! Haha. I was born in California but I moved away when young, so don't think I have their accent. Does it sound southern? I'd like to know...
You sound like a Good-Ol'-Boy to me, but I'm an east coaster, so don't think nothin of it.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Oh, I did tell you... lol. I'm pretty forgetful, too. You're also from the east coast of USA? I spent 20 years on the coast of North Carolina, you're not there are you?

You'd be one of very few to read my poetry, I think. I thank you for checking it out. But it's not false modesty to say I don't think I'm very good at writing poetry. I always knew what I wanted to express, and strongly. But for a reader to even come close to a similar experience by simply reading my words, I don't know. Maybe not possible. Writing was a personal friend most my life. I'm married now and write less.

Your obviously pretty bright about people... your post was pretty observant. It's important to me to never come across as bragging, so I often put myself down. In fact to brag disgusts me. Especially because it's not uncommon for people to be identified by their "great accomplishments", and for others to feel inferior in comparison--I never want to accidentally make someone feel that way. It's not my way. Besides, in a bigger picture the bragger's accomplishments are not so significant.

Conversations with me will often get off-topic! And so to stay off-topic, where can I read some of your poems? You're right about my preferring images. I found myself always wanting to express feelings through images. Hmm, we need a poetry thread. Want me to start one?
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

I'm from good old Buffalo, NY which makes me practically Canadian.
You'd be one of very few to read my poetry, I think. I thank you for checking it out. But it's not false modesty to say I don't think I'm very good at writing poetry. I always knew what I wanted to express, and strongly. But for a reader to even come close to a similar experience by simply reading my words, I don't know. Maybe not possible. Writing was a personal friend most my life. I'm married now and write less.
I started writing in college because I dated a girl who was literary type, and she was a good poet. Together we idolized the beats and others of their ilk. Poets of the culture war who transgressed boundaries with the truth of their own vision. Writing was something I was naturally gifted with the ability to do well, and after only a couple of years of doing so I started winning contests and getting published. People were naturally envious of that and I was pretty much despised in the English department at UB, not only by the other students, but by faculty as well. It was difficult because I so deeply desired to be liked for what I did and I really don't think it's too much to ask be respected for your gifts. People looked at me and saw a target, but I never had to brag about my work, I never openly discussed my publications in this environment or talked myself up.

The fact is, that whether you brag or not, insecure people will feel jealous and hate you for you can do when they can't. It is those very same people who are most likely to brag about themselves because bragging acts as a surrogate for the experience of real success. If you wish to make these people feel not-bad about themselves, be as mediocre as you can, and they won't be reminded of what they lack, but remember, if it isn't you who's making them feel that way, someone else will, and not by bragging, but simply by having a talent that they wish they had.

You can afford to not give a lick about them, I promise. But people who brag do so because they can't get others to say positive stuff about them. Showing off your talents is only offensive to the most recessive of insecure vermin.
Conversations with me will often get off-topic! And so to stay off-topic, where can I read some of your poems? You're right about my preferring images. I found myself always wanting to express feelings through images. Hmm, we need a poetry thread. Want me to start one?
I have a blog where I do most of my publishing nowadays.

baseinfinity.blogspot.com

The older I get, the less I care about publishing credits. My blog has been around for three years now, and (not to brag) but I get between 300-400 hits a month from all over the world and have plans to work on a project with one of the foremost digital poetry gurus in the world sometime very soon. So at this stage of my career, things are finally starting to get off the ground. You can find my published work by searching my (real) name. Also, if you search google under computer generated poetry, my other blog (basenothing) is the first to come up, which makes me the foremost computer generated poetry guy in the world ...of all the weird crap a person can be.

Anyway, when discussing the virtues of my work with people who are not on the same level as I am, it is important to remember that I was once on their level, and given the desire and patience, they will someday be on mine. Such glories are only indicative of one's hard work and desire, but in a highly competitive undergraduate department, things get really mean.
Your obviously pretty bright about people... your post was pretty observant.
...I had to be. You wouldn't believe what some people will pull. Professors even. I had to be a step ahead. That's why I dislike false modesty, not because I like boastfulness, but because I hate the fact that I was made to feel guilty for selling myself, something a poet has to be able to do. There is no shame in drawing attention to yourself. The shame is in putting down others in order to draw attention to yourself.
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

Oh yeah, you should start a poetry thread. I dunno how many folks here will appreciate it though.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

The fact is, that whether you brag or not, insecure people will feel jealous...
True.

A measure of modesty, but nothing wrong with a measure of pride.

300-400 hits a month is good, lot better than what I manage. Some work I do gets a lot of positive feedback. But I still don't know how to get those kind of hits to my YouTube, personal site, or any other sites I open. Maybe just being active on the right forums and stuff?

There is no shame in drawing attention to yourself. The shame is in putting down others in order to draw attention to yourself.
Good reminder.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Thanks for the video. Really cool hearing the designer talking about a project. The pathfinding code looks awesome.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Heya Lachie, was hoping you'd check it out soon. :) Thanks for watching. The code I showed at the end was not all pathfinding. I realize now it seems that's what I'm saying. I just just skimming the main module.

I just got this inspiration to add high-tech areas to the world. Can you imagine glass doors fading open? Hovering transportation? Broken-down transporters you might get working? Haha. We'll see. I will say that this isn't going to be in a pure old-times setting. Some primitive areas, sure, and some high-technology areas too, I hope! And maybe some mixed areas.

Why is adventure so fun? What would you guys like to see in this game? I want to know what YOU want, because I know you have ideas. I want to make an adventure that's got the content you're looking for, if I am able to do it.
relsoft

Post by relsoft »

Looks great keep it up!
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

Well, I find puzzles fun...