Alvarian Tales Project - March 2013

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Thank you so much guys. There's no download yet, but I will put something out once I make a few more decisions about the gameplay. I've coded a few different gameplay techniques but need to pick and finish one of them.

rolliebollocks, thanks for your comments! I would be interested in taking a look at the dialog engine. :)

relsoft, I'm glad you like it!

Yes, Lachie, I think at least multiple paths are important. I don't want to force the player, there's got to be some choices that would support different personalities.

My recent thoughts on this project:

I remember playing games like Beneath a Steel Sky, a good game. But there were times I really wanted to diverge from the desires of the protagonist. He wanted to solve a particular puzzle and move on, while I wanted to develop more of a relationship with one of the NPCs.

I know that's a pretty personal feeling which most players might never have. But the goal of my project is to at least provide a couple windows into very alternative choices. This will give you a sense of personal freedom.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

On a personal level, I'm always for allowing the player solve certain tasks and side-missions on his own way, but allowing him to fully bend the story muddles up the narrative too much and always leads to certain parts of the game not responding properly to these actions and certain non-player controlled characters behaving oddly in situations the designer didn't plan or code completely. Another game I'm thinking of now is...Conquest of Camelot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conquests_ ... _the_Grail

The game allowed you to solve many tasks on different ways, but in a way, one was better than the other and this was penalized on the end (actually scored in there categories).

Edit:
BTW, what's you main direction with the story? I hope you can make it a bit more complex. Something like, a story set in the world of two warring nations (with other nations/tribes not involved in this conflict). You are brought up in one of these nations to think nothing but evil about the other side, only to learn that the truth is much more complicated. That some third side is the real cause of this conflict and plans to benefit once both nations are weakened by the conflict. Again, this third side doesn't have to be all supernatural and evil. We need more flesh and bone characters in these stories. Enough with evil super powerful sorcerers. Just a thought.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Thanks for your thoughts Lachie. I'm a bit tired of the super evil sources too. That's how the story was going to be years ago, but nah, I'm going to do something less cliche.

In fact I was considering doing something on a smaller scale altogether. Like maybe not involving large scale conflict, but more on the level of particular people, relationships. A kidnapping. A flood that ruins several people's homes. A discovery of hidden treasure that draws all kinds of bad attention. Or just survival in a harsh desert when a water supply suddenly dries up. Of course all of this doesn't sound complex, but the complexity comes in when, just when you're making progress, new conflict arises. The kidnapping was done by a close friend. Or a stranger arrives and offers an opportunity with a compromise. As long as it's done well and the characters are real, I think it could leave just as much of an impression as large-scale.

I just bought a book called Fiction Is Folks: How to Create Unforgettable Characters, waiting for it to come. :)

If you think on the level of just a few paths, like Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis, then NPCs acting strange isn't a problem. I think that comes in when you've got an open-world style and the game isn't prepared for your unusual course of actions. But if it's just a matter of writing a few more story threads, I'd say that's more manageable wouldn't you?
Lachie Dazdarian

I like the way you are thinking. Good luck.
Lachie Dazdarian

BTW, I recommend you check out this freeware indie adventure game:

http://www.origamihero.com/index.php?site=games (all the way down, Reactor 09)

It's a game that offers different endings depending on how you interact with a certain game character through-out it.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Thank you for that link! I like the game so far. I might do my game mouse-driven as well. Also considering changing my character cause he seems a little short and fat... but I already have some animations done so I don't know. =l
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

I wouldn't worry about that dude... Short, fat people make great protagonists as they're perfect for the underdog role. :)
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Have I posted here yet? The project looks wonderful, like you've really taken time to give it personality.

Spelunky is another good one and one of the few recently developed games I actually liked. It's roguelike, too.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

anonymous1337, thank ya kindly for your comments. :) Spelunky looks fun I'm downloading.

Dr_D, I have admired the short fat guy awhile now, but off I went fiddling with pixels and came out with this little lady (not quite so little as him.)

little dude:

Harder than it looks for a mediocre pixel artist like me. She's not perfect but she does have 8 frames over little man's 4. She's more upright and falls nicely into the scenes I've been working on.

Thinking about drawing her up and down walking directions makes me dizzy. But somehow eventually I imagine I can push the right pixels together. =S

And then... I have to make a male figure. And I wanted some different body builds, not everyone looking so similar. This is too much like work. D;

But it's fun.

Which do you prefer? I could add more frames to little dude. He did have different shirts and cloaks he could wear but with more frames I'm not going to make anymore clothing. The adventure style I'm leaning into probably wouldn't require a lot of different clothing like a full RPG.
Lachie Dazdarian

Lose her top. :P
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Hey! This is a family game.

You wanna see the little maid's secrets huh?

You'll have to ask her personally in-game. Just don't come crying to me when she slaps ya.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

I've modeled and rendered a few new rooms. Just wanted to show that I am using a better light rendering now which I think looks smoother:

Since I can adjust light I think I will be able to do at least 3-4 times of day. Like morning, afternoon, evening, night. But how to step between them I don't know because the game lighting is not dynamic it's only renders. Maybe can only be done at storyline intervals.

And come to notice I think the girl's too big in this picture. Or the chairs are too small, something like that. Fix later.
Lachie Dazdarian

Looks excellent! Maybe set the lighting prior the player entering the room depending on the time of the day. Making it dynamic is unneccesarily overly ambitious.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Thankya :D Yeah I agree with your comment.
Lachie Dazdarian

BTW, not sure if your 3D modeling program allows you to make the room a little bit more "dirty" looking. I think the walls and the floor are too clean for a common fantasy world inn.