FreeBASIC raycaster project

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Mike Chambers

FreeBASIC raycaster project

Postby Mike Chambers » Sep 12, 2009 22:19

hey guys.. something i decided to try working on in FreeBASIC. a while back i used VB6 to write a simple raycaster with only walls textured and no items/enemies, but i found a good tutorial online about floor casting so i decided to make a new engine. here's a youtube clip of the results so far. wall textures stolen from wolf3d but they'll eventually be replaced.

soon i'll post the code for this too. still working on the couple minor graphical glitches! i've also got working doors in this. i've only been coding this for about a week now so it's very early.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaUzyNQgUgc
Hard

Postby Hard » Sep 13, 2009 0:31

you like pedobear?

looks good anyway ;)
Mike Chambers

Postby Mike Chambers » Sep 13, 2009 0:46

Hard wrote:you like pedobear?

looks good anyway ;)

haha no i dont like pedobear, why do you think i'm mowing him down with a machine gun?? thanks :P
Eponasoft

Postby Eponasoft » Sep 13, 2009 0:52

Not too shabby for a first attempt. Are you using floating point or integer (fixed point) math?
Mike Chambers

Postby Mike Chambers » Sep 13, 2009 0:58

Eponasoft wrote:Not too shabby for a first attempt. Are you using floating point or integer (fixed point) math?

thanks. the math that calculates player positions and distances to walls/objects is all floating point. i'm still working on the engine, the enemy "AI" isn't really "intelligent" so it's more like just "A" ...

all it is doing now, is if a player is within 8 map spaces on both the X and Y axis, and the player can see the enemy sprite on the screen the enemies "seen player" flag becomes true and it just continually moves itself towards the player's position.

i need to improve it a LOT, and get rid of pedobear and make some decent sprites.

Return to “Projects”