FB debugger : 3.02 32/64 BIT WDS/LNX..... (2023/07/05)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
petan

Manual / tutorial / help

Post by petan »

Hi SARG,

your fbdebugger looks very good, OK work, thx.

My testing has this results.
- needs to point out at first lines of help / install instruction for user to MUST setup PATHS, otherwise crash
- needed choice to font change, help is not good readable
- needed a little bit detailed tutorial How to use it
That at general.

I have one question to this situation-
Big program ,so about 20,000 code lines.Works OK.
Now added 20 lines of new code somewhere and crash/errors appears.
Can I do to trace only these 20 lines some way ??, so that the rest of code is working in full speed ? Howto enable this possibility, please, if exist ?

Thanks Pete
SARG

Post by SARG »

@dfnhb
A new version with the size font choice. See settings.
Link first post.

@Petan
Thanks for your interest.

What paths ? Without the ini file there's no problem but perhaps I miss something ;-)
Concerning the font choice and the tutorial I'll think about but the help file can be open outside of the debugger.

About your question of trace : use fast run (icon with 2 red cross) on the first new line that you added. the debugger is going to stop on this line executing quickly all the others.
nobozoz

Post by nobozoz »

Tried to download from the link at the top of the first page

http://freefile.kristopherw.us/uploads/ ... _03_07.zip

but the link is kaput.
SARG

Post by SARG »

New link

Don't remeber I have received an email from Kristopher with new addresses. So updated.

http://jafile.com/uploads/sarg/fbdebugger2.jpg
JaDogg

Post by JaDogg »

hey SARG add plugin support to fbdebug it will be cool
SARG

Post by SARG »

@JaDogg
What kind of plugins or what for ?
How do you imagine the connection (dll, else) ?
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi SARG

A couple of points.
1. I cant Run to a line in a different Module
My program has about 10 modules.
Sometimes it does and other times I get a message to say the line is not accessible.

2. There appears to be two copies of each source module loaded.

3. When releasing the program, the warning message about the program still running is true, other times it has terminated ?

Interestingly, when debugging the time loop is very long,(so long that the mouse appears to be ignored) but as soon as you release it, it is back to original loop time of about 2 micro seconds.

REgards
SARG

Post by SARG »

Hi Dinosaur,
1. I cant Run to a line in a different Module
My program has about 10 modules.
Sometimes it does and other times I get a message to say the line is not accessible.
A code line is not accessible if there is not executable code like comment, dim, etc. It's based on the debugging informations added by the compiler.
2. There appears to be two copies of each source module loaded.
If possible post examples and I'll fix the issues.
3. When releasing the program, the warning message about the program still running is true, other times it has terminated ?
In fact when you "released" nearly all the links between your program and the debugger are removed, the behaviour becomes the same when you launch directly the exe. So if there is no more user input or wait (sleep) it's running full speed and can terminate quickly in the other case is waiting and no terminated....
As the debugger keeps a little control you can still stop it (eg inside a loop) using the halt icon, obviously a bit randomly .
Interestingly, when debugging the time loop is very long,(so long that the mouse appears to be ignored) but as soon as you release it, it is back to original loop time of about 2 micro seconds.
In debug mode every line generates a sort of interrupt so it could be very long with big loops.
To avoid this two ways :
- as the debugging is code line by code line, you can put several instructions within one line
- use fast run to cursor. In this case you MUST be sure that the line under the cursor will be reached.

By the way, you can use/launch, more userfriendly, Fbdebugger thru FBedit, by just putting the right parameters (path and name) in the debugger menu options. I can't be more precise as Fbedit isn't installed on the PC I use at the moment.

As I said previously don't hesitate to ask more help.
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

SARG!

I have a question:

Is there a pop-up tips for the variables?

SARG

Post by SARG »

Hi VANYA,

Not for the moment, I'll see (at the end of week) if I can add this
feature. I guess it's not very difficult. Stay tuned ;-)

You can either use the watch option either find the variable in the list of variables but it's a bit less easy.
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

SARG wrote:Hi VANYA,

Not for the moment, I'll see (at the end of week) if I can add this
feature. I guess it's not very difficult. Stay tuned ;-)

You can either use the watch option either find the variable in the list of variables but it's a bit less easy.
Hi SARG!

To want to see in the program:

1) Drag And Drop EXE files in the program.
2) Tips for variables, with an option to turn off at large and demanding projects
3) Ability to download the source code, and not only EXE files. That is, the debugger itself with Bat file converts them into Temp EXE and remove after debugging.

PS After the restart does not work hotkeys until set focus in a window source. I wish that it did the program itself. Otherwise, I liked the debugger, especially the speed of work!

Here I have laid out your debugger (I hope you do not mind):

http://mneniya.ucoz.ru/news/otladchik_f ... -04-09-665
SARG

Post by SARG »

Hi Vanya,
To want to see in the program:
1) Drag And Drop EXE files in the program.
Done : when the FBdebugger is launched you can drag and drop an exe, everywhere on the window, to begin the debugging of it
Better you can do that with .bas. The file is first compiled then debugged
You can also drag n drop directly under the file explorer : fbdebugger will be launched and the file loaded.
2) Tips for variables, with an option to turn off at large and demanding projects.
I have added a similar feature : left click + CTRL key on a variable for direct access to its value/address inside the proc/var window. No need to turn on/off.
3) Ability to download the source code, and not only EXE files. That is, the debugger itself with Bat file converts them into Temp EXE and remove after debugging.

Still existing, see in tools quick edit then compile and run. And now the drag n drop feature. You can also load bas with auto compilation.
CAUTION no temp exe but the <filename>.exe.
PS After the restart does not work hotkeys until set focus in a window source. I wish that it did the program itself.

Can't reproduce the behaviour, could be more precise.
Otherwise, I liked the debugger, especially the speed of work!

Thanks

Here I have laid out your debugger (I hope you do not mind):

No problem :-)

@Dinosaur
Are you using the gcc option ? FBdebugger can't work with the debugging informations giving the strange behaviours who described. Perhaps in the future I'll modify it but for the moment it's not compatible.
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi all

I have searched the Wiki for "gcc option" and get one hit, and on the forum hundreds, yet unrelated.
How do I use the "gcc option"

Regards

Edit:ok, found some info. "-gen gcc" which then tries to run gcc.exe which then creates an error on Windows 7 as not being compatible.
Tried searching for gcc.exe for Windows 7 64 bit, but I have to set up Mingw and compile it myself. Getting to complicated.
SARG

Post by SARG »

@Dinosaur

Ok, the problem that you have
There appears to be two copies of each source module loaded.
is not because of the -gen gcc option.

So could you please post at least an example (a small one) of the modules
producing that.
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

SARG!

Thank you very much!