FbEdit

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
KetilO

Postby KetilO » Sep 18, 2008 9:18

Hi all

There is a pre release available at:
https://fbedit.svn.sourceforge.net/svnr ... it1063.zip

Whats new:
----------
o Path Options can now use path acronymes.
$A Application path, where FbEdit.exe is found.
$C Compiler path, where fbc.exe is found.
$H Help path, where fb.chm and win32.hlp is found.
$P Default project path, where projects are found.
o Variable speed selection scrolling by mouse.
o Speed optimized block guiders. Could cause sluggish editing on large files with many nested blocks.
o Added the Debug menu item to the language translation.
o The current file is now selected in the project browser.
o Fixed bug with Auto delete files after build. Could cause a crash on Vista.
o Fixed bug with resource editor style manager. Could show unrelated / duplicated styles.

KetilO
MystikShadows

Postby MystikShadows » Sep 18, 2008 12:39

Looks like another good update Ketilo

So far everything is going good. thanks for your work, I for one definitaly appreciate.
anonymous1337

Postby anonymous1337 » Sep 18, 2008 14:01

This has been my editor of choice for a long time. Thanks for the continued development. Looks like another good release, but is this stable enough for common use (aka replacing my current FBedit)?
KetilO

Postby KetilO » Sep 18, 2008 14:57

Thanks

Since there are critical bugs fixed it should be more stable than the 1.0.6.2 relese.

KetilO
anonymous1337

Postby anonymous1337 » Sep 18, 2008 15:50

Whenever I install FBedit, I always rewrite some of my settings (such as help paths, building options, and code editor settings). How can I avoid this in the future?
gel

Postby gel » Sep 18, 2008 17:37

anonymous1337,

I always had the same problem, so I started renaming the file FbEdit.ini to FbEdit.ini.new in the zip file before extracting. I use WinRAR. Seems to do the trick. Maybe KetilO has more info on this.
notthecheatr

Postby notthecheatr » Sep 18, 2008 21:20

anonymous1337 wrote:Whenever I install FBedit, I always rewrite some of my settings (such as help paths, building options, and code editor settings). How can I avoid this in the future?

Funny, I was annoyed at this exact thing the other day. Minor annoyance, but since other people find it annoying too maybe I'll use this as an opportunity to spout a wild idea.

Maybe this is overkill for a relatively small-time program like FBEdit, but it would be nice to have a proper installer and an update system. I doubt it would be terribly hard to implement (heck, just download the updates via http and install by unzipping using an update program which could be included with FBEdit) and it would eliminate this problem. It would also be especially helpful for newbies getting started with FreeBASIC, because people who are new to programming might find an installer easier to use than a Zip. As for the update part, well, that's to avoid having to actually run the installer each time FBEdit gets updated - just let the program take care of it on its own. More professional, smooth, clean, and easy to use.

Might have a slightly larger file size, since you'd need some library with support for Zip (or Rar, or whatever), and of course this sort of thing might take some time to implement, but I don't think it would need huge modifications to the current system and it would be quite nicer to deal with than un-RARing it or having to modify filenames in the RAR to avoid overwriting settings. I rather miss the color scheme I had before I updated to the latest version :\
kyja

Absolutly Fantastic

Postby kyja » Sep 18, 2008 21:32

Thank you so very much for the acronymes in the options. exactly as I needed.
project path: $A\projects
compiler path: $A\freebasic\
help path: $A\help

debug path: $A\insight-1.0\bin\insight.exe for the heavy debuging needs

For the compiler version
cmd.exe "/K $C\fbc.exe -version && title FreeBASIC && path $C;%PATH%"

now I can move it anywhere and not change a thing :) 100% portable.
Thank you.
cbruce

OutputDebugString() problem

Postby cbruce » Sep 19, 2008 2:23

Hi KetilO - First, thanks for all the work. This is THE most useful project in the forums!!!

I had a problem with the new debug "feature" that pops up message boxes with the output text from calls to OutputDebugString().

I did a [Debug] [Continue] at one point to get the results from the rest of my code and ended up with 832 message boxes that I had to close !!!!!!

I use DebugView extensively, because I log the debug output. So this new "feature" in FbEdit is really getting in my way.

Can you please provide an option to DISABLE FbEdit's message box output of OutputDebugString()?

Thank you again.

Respectfully,
Bruce Huber (cbruce)
AMIBCT

Resource editor problem

Postby AMIBCT » Sep 19, 2008 8:14

Hi dear friend

There is a little bug in Resource editor
and also in ResEd

While saving, closing and then opening res files
dialog objects move for some pixels
And I have to edit the rc file in text mode

I know it's because units conversion
Maybe some rounding problem

Thanks in advance
KetilO

Postby KetilO » Sep 19, 2008 9:28

Hi anonymous1337, gel and notthecheatr

I am working on a solution where the FbEdit.ini file is no longer distributed with the zip. FbEdit itself will automatically maintain the ini file, create it if its missing or update it if the FbEdit version is higher than the ini file version.

Hopefully this work will be finished when its time for a new release.

KetilO
KetilO

Postby KetilO » Sep 19, 2008 9:39

Hi cbruce

I am not shure if this is related to FbEdit since you mention [Debug] [Continue].

There are no messageboxes related to OutputDebugString in the FbDebug addin.

If you use FbEdit's Debug / Run then OutputDebugString will print its output to FbEdit's output window and DebugView will not be able to catch the output.

If you use an external debugger and dont want FbEdit's internal debugger then you can always disable the addin using Options / Addin Manager.

KetilO
KetilO

Postby KetilO » Sep 19, 2008 9:52

Hi AMIBCT

Yes, the conversion between dialog units and pixels is a problem with the resource editor. There are plans to let the resource editor use dialog units directly and that will solve the problem. Until then you could try to turn off the Snap To Grid option. It might help.

KetilO
AMIBCT

Postby AMIBCT » Sep 19, 2008 17:33

But I've tested that before

I think that the problem is saving algorithm
Because when I edit the file in text mode and open it again, Objects are in the right place
and if I move it by mouse, the dialog units are saved incorrectly.

Anyway using dialog units directly is the best solution
Thank you again ;)
anonymous1337

Postby anonymous1337 » Sep 22, 2008 3:49

KetilO:

Any reason that your search feature only has find in all project files rather than a find in all open files option? Projects are nice, but when I'm looking at foreign source, a find in all files option is more convenient.

Return to “Projects”