BasicReaction.org

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
c0rt3x

BasicReaction.org

Postby c0rt3x » May 15, 2009 23:23

This thread is all about a quite big project of mine:

BasicReaction

The goal is to create a 100% Visual Basic 6.0 (VB6) compatible programming language including compiler and IDE that supports some language extensions, too!

I know this isn't an easy job. But I'm convinced that it can be done.

So let's start in here discussing all steps needed to reach this goal.

First of all let me telling you where the name "BasicReaction" comes from: Yesterday I wondered what's going on with ReactOS at the moment.

(For those in here who don't know ReactOS please go to: www.reactos.org)

So I downloaded the current Alpha release v0.3.9 and installed it in a virtual maschine. The first thing I thought was: Why did'nt they spend at least a little afford writing an Windows-Explorer repleacement that supports at least some very basic features that Windows users are known? I think the answer is that the developers behind ReactOS are mostly kernel level coders who don't spend much time in user land...

I my opinion ReactOS is actualy the greatest open source project out there! That's why I started the following thread:

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 336#p59336

Please read ^^it^^ in order to understand why I'm posting here in the FreeBASIC forum again...

So everyone who likes to support this project is very welcome!
vdecampo

Postby vdecampo » May 16, 2009 0:37

What has this got to do with FreeBASIC?
Galeon

Postby Galeon » May 16, 2009 0:51

i think you need some feature requests, not a new compiler :) freebasic can most (i think all) that visual basic can do, freebasic also have an ide that resembles visual basic's, which is known as fbedit, procedures of freebasic are named after their visual basic counterparts (strptr, varptr, procptr...), freebasic can also create drivers (fbc example), kernels (frost kernel), libraries (kwik-gui, fb gui) and applications (fb games, fb cad, fbedit, and a lot more...), and its faster than vb...
c0rt3x

Postby c0rt3x » May 16, 2009 14:53

I looked around but I did'nt see any example of how to create a .sys kernel driver with freebasic.

Could you please post a link or tell me exactly where that sample is?

Perhabs it makes more sense anyway to write an additional IDE with the look and feel of VB6 but translates any VB5/6 project to freebasic compatible code and then compiles it with the FreeBASIC compiler.

I tested both FbEdit as well as FbIDE but none of them supports "IntelliSense", wich is in my eyes the very best feature of Visual Basic...
Merick

Postby Merick » May 16, 2009 15:13

In FbEdit, go to the options menu, select "code editor" and check out the "code complete" section.
Galeon

Postby Galeon » May 16, 2009 15:18

that example is in the examples folder of your compiler "c:\program files\freebasic\examples\windows\ddk\driver" folder, intellisence is available in fbedit, i always use it, and that vb6 to fb can be a good plugin for fbide and fbedit, :) but what i can say is that dlls of fb can be used with vb (fb example) and vb.net (i tested it today with 2005 express)
Galeon

Postby Galeon » May 16, 2009 15:27

creating addins in fbedit and fbide are answers to ur problem. fbedit more looks like vb ide, and have powerful support for plugins. why don't you just create a plugin, i will create a beautify plugin with the toolbar of vb.net (i don't have vb6, is that free? i think no), do the rest to make it the way you want it :)
c0rt3x

Postby c0rt3x » May 16, 2009 19:49

Thanks. I'll try it!

But I already started coding :-)

It actually has not functionality yet but at least it shows how "BasicReaction" will look like.

I have no experience in FreeBASIC yet so it seems much easier for me to write a VB to FreeBASIC converter in VB instead of writing FbEdit plugins in FreeBASIC..
vdecampo

Postby vdecampo » May 16, 2009 20:52

I have no experience in FreeBASIC

Erm...Good luck with that.
Galeon

Postby Galeon » May 17, 2009 2:10

you're in the wrong path.
you are trying to create a vb to fb translator but you still don't know how to program in fb?
i had coded in fb for months... but i still don't know many of fb's function (screenres? what it does?), even other fb ide makers have problems in how to parse fb source files, they already have great knowledge of fb!
so to begin this project, begin fb coding today, it is easy to create fb progs, even windows api, then start this project and make it to be the 4th ide for FreeBASIC!
McLovin

Postby McLovin » May 17, 2009 12:48

I think you would be better off trying to ask Paul Squires over at http://www.planetsquires.com/firefly.htm to modify the FireFly Visual Designer to output FreeBASIC code (in addition to PowerBasic code). Maybe you can convince him to allow an FB to be free (or at least very low price).

Writing a visual designer is not an easy task especially if you have no FB experience (how would you generate the FB code if you have never used it?).
c0rt3x

Postby c0rt3x » May 17, 2009 16:10

You're right: Writing a VB to FB converter without knowing the whole FB synthax ist impossible. But I think i will learn it best by realising this project step by step. I allready have a lot experience with VB source code parsing because i wrote a complete VB6 obfuscator (If some body is interrested in my obfuscator just tell me)...

At the beginning BasicReaction will only support very basic features of FB. But time by time I'll add more and more features.

So this is going to by a learning-by-doing project.
c0rt3x

BasicReaction

Postby c0rt3x » May 17, 2009 17:40

The project makes progress: :-)

If I stay the only developer who's working on this project it will take several years (I think 2-3) to make it about 90% VB6 compatible.

But the more coders join the faster the IDE will be complete.

So come on and please support me... :-)
Galeon

Postby Galeon » May 17, 2009 18:05

go, hope you'll suceed! i want to see another fb ide!
i think other fb programmers can't help you, many only knew c\c++ apart from fb, and they seams to be busy today, i can't help you also 'cause i don't have and don't know vb6, i have vb8 (2005 express) but not using it :). i'm also new in fb, im a php programmer creating my website . may i know about what a and what's your obfuscator, don't know what it is. but maybe can help me how to parse files if it has a lot of comments...
Galeon

Postby Galeon » May 17, 2009 18:23

fbedit in fb, fbide in c++, jellyfb in c (not sure), basicreaction in vb?!
make sure to add plugins support, some can help you easily, fbedit and the rewritten fbide have good support for plugins. its very easy to extend the abilities of an ide with plugins.

Return to “Projects”