Artemis RPG (work in progress) - updated June 9th, 2009

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
Artemis

Artemis RPG (work in progress) - updated June 9th, 2009

Post by Artemis »

Artemis (working title) is a 2d action RPG being made in Freebasic. It's done in 16-bit style (sort of) with lots of inspiration from the Mana and Zelda games. My wife is the pixel artist, and I'm the programmer. It's currently a closed-source project, but we're releasing playable demos to get feedback and suggestions.

Right now, it only has about 15 minutes of gameplay. I've been focusing on the engine, so the story and scenarios haven't been a top priority yet. Still, I think you can see how we'll be able to turn this into a full length game eventually.

The mini-site with download link:
http://www.rhondabowlin.com/artemis/

Let us know what you think! Bugs, ideas, etc. And if you post to the forum on the new project site, it would make my day. :)
Last edited by Artemis on Nov 07, 2011 13:55, edited 2 times in total.
Ophelius

Post by Ophelius »

Nice artwork! I can't wait to play the full game. I would get rid of the dotted line that help you aim because it basicaly extends up to the mouse pointer anyways. So I would know where I'm aiming based on where I click. I think it's too distracting. Just a thought.
Rokkuman

Post by Rokkuman »

You should probably try to stick to one topic, not because I actually give a crap as to whether or not you have three separate topics, but because it keeps you from having to re-type information/answered questions, or forgetting anything the second time around. For instance, I'm curious as to whether or not you used OpenGL/SDL or anything, and I'm sure you've answered this in the past.

ANYWAY, the screenshots look great. I don't recognize any of the artwork, so I hope that means it's all original. I'm downloading the demo at this very moment, and I'll definitely let you know what I think.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

The new development rocks, and I can't remember how much of the menu was there in earlier demos, but I dig it. Thanks for givin' us another teaser. : )
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

Very slick.

rb
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

Thanks for the comments!-

Ophelius: Thanks for the input. Some people love the dotted line, but some people hate it. I'm definitely going to make it optional as soon as the settings menu is ready.

Rokkuman: Yep, the artwork is all original. The sounds and music are also original, but there's no music in this demo. I'm using FB's built-in graphics libray, because it's what I'm most comfortable with. Since the game is only 2D and there isn't really anything complicated going on, I haven't seen the need to use anything else.

Ryan: The menu is probably the biggest new feature. I've been spending a lot of time on the card dragging and those damn scroll windows! The actual look of the menus is just preliminary, but it's the functionality that I'm trying to focus on.

rolliebollocks: Thanks. :)

Anyone get the game to crash yet?
Rokkuman

Post by Rokkuman »

The game actually did quit on me without me telling it to, but I'll have to play through it once or twice more before I can tell you how to reproduce it or what the circumstances were.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Really nice to see this project moving forward. As with the previous version, I love the real time battle engine.

I would personally like for you to list updates from version to version so we can actually take note of changes and new things without having to guess them. It was a while since the last demo.
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

Wow, this really looks, plays and feels awesome!
Artemis_Rhonda

Updates from previous version.

Post by Artemis_Rhonda »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Really nice to see this project moving forward. As with the previous version, I love the real time battle engine.

I would personally like for you to list updates from version to version so we can actually take note of changes and new things without having to guess them. It was a while since the last demo.
Hi Lachie, I'm just the art person and horribly ignorant on the coding end ;) - however, here are a few changes that I recall from the previous version. The hubby can update or correct if needed.

-updated to fixed resolution
-entirely new menu system with cards indicating stat comps
-town in place w/ scripts
-no more interpolated option
-save spots
-boss battle
-new enemy (enemies? can't remember if the beetle was in there or not)
-cleaned up the character sprites

Thanks for your input!

~Rhonda
Artemis_Rhonda

The Aim Guide.

Post by Artemis_Rhonda »

Ophelius wrote:Nice artwork! I can't wait to play the full game. I would get rid of the dotted line that help you aim because it basicaly extends up to the mouse pointer anyways. So I would know where I'm aiming based on where I click. I think it's too distracting. Just a thought.
Thanks for the art compliment Ophelius. :) We're waiting to get a big tile sheet finished before getting more in there. Soon, soon!

Re: The aim guide. This may turn out to be more of a preliminary graphics aesthetic issue, but I'm not sure. I'm not a fan either YET, LOL, but I think once we get on the sprites for this i.e. have some nice animation and transparency effects for both the updated line and updated target, it may be better understood and loved by all ;). Even with the mouse pointer (which we will eventually customize), it can be easy to get lost on where you're aiming since you can move and aim in different directions. We shall see. Having the option off by default might be the change for now.
badmrbox

Post by badmrbox »

If I remember correctly, which I might not, the only monster I saw in the previous version was the treemonster.
Artemis_Rhonda

Post by Artemis_Rhonda »

badmrbox wrote:
If I remember correctly, which I might not, the only monster I saw in the previous version was the treemonster.
That makes me feel at least a little more productive ;) Thanks BadMrBox!!!

~Rhonda
Mysoft

Post by Mysoft »

very good work artemis... i just wonder why you cap the fps to 40? and it seems that you dont even have an sleep 1... to save some cpu, other than that congracts :)
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

Mysoft wrote:very good work artemis... i just wonder why you cap the fps to 40? and it seems that you dont even have an sleep 1... to save some cpu, other than that congracts :)
Were you on an older system or running other apps which might hinder performance?

I'm not capping the game at 40fps exactly - notice the screenshots are at 60fps. But there is an experimental feature, and I think this is what you are experiencing. For people who can't get 60fps (for whatever reason), the game will determine an optimal framerate and use this as a cap. I'm enforcing this cap because the game looks smoother/better with a steady framerate (40fps, for example), rather than jumping back and forth between the best it can get (between 40-50fps, for example) as Windows does its thing in the background.

I think most people will get a proper 60fps and never experience this cap.

Of course, I also plan to do more optimization eventually. Thanks for reminding me about sleep 1... I will put this in the next version.