Jumpin' Hi! v0.1 (platform game for windows and linux)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Jojo

Jumpin' Hi! v0.1 (platform game for windows and linux)

Post by Jojo »

Jumpin' Hi! is a platform game for Windows and Linux. Be aware that this is just a first playable demo, many features don't work yet.

Help the Boing Ball reaching the sky! Navigate him adeptly upwards, platform by
platform, and use the Jetpack in dangerous situation or just for that extra boost!
But don't rest too long on the platforms! There are two types of platforms, those
which break and solid ones - and the solid platforms are rather rare...

Download + Information (scroll down for English description + download link)

Last edited by Jojo on Dec 26, 2008 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Turd

Post by Turd »

Nice work!
Runs in Wine btw.
rCX

Post by rCX »

Looks really cool. I just tried it under Windows XP and it worked well. It's a little difficult but the controls were fairly intuitive. I haven't made it to the top yet.

Is the "Jumpin_hi" file without the extension the Linux executable?
Sisophon2001

Post by Sisophon2001 »

rCX wrote:<snip>Is the "Jumpin_hi" file without the extension the Linux executable?
Yes, you need to change file permissions to executable.

Also see readme.txt
How to run
----------
Please copy libbass.so to /lib/ if you're running Linux. The Windows version
should run "out of the box".
Jojo

You said in the readme that the Linux version does not run very well. I ran the windows version using wine, and the Linux version, and I noted the menu in Linux is running like crazy, while it worked perfectly in the windows version. I did not notice any other differences.

I could not recompile because the source is missing one file (png.bi or something like that), but it looks like the bug is in menu.bas here:

Code: Select all

Dim last_state(0 To 255) As Single
This should be a double because in Linux the timer returns a number too large to fit in a single. It will work fine in windows.

I guess you compiled using a Debian distro, like Ubuntu? I have found that if I use an old distro like Ubuntu 6.06 I get good compatibility with other distros, but if I use a modern distro like Ubuntu 8.10 then my executable will look for the latest versions of libraries and it is less likely to run on other distros.

Oh, and it was a fun little game to try. Keep at it.

Garvan

PS. I found fbpng.bi, so I can compile now.
I noticed that the bass library is segfalting on exit? Not sure what to make of that, as have never used the library before.
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Hello guys, thanks for your great feedback.

Thanks about the SINGLE notice, I didn't know about that, but I just tried it in Linux myself and wondered as well what was happening there, just before I read your post.
Also yes, this was compiled in Ubuntu 8.10. :)
The fbpng.bi is included in the windows release of freebasic, but not in the linux release. I decided not to include the file as it can change with new releases of fbpng, but I will at least drop a hint in the readme file about that.
And about BASS... Is it BASS or my game which causes the segfault? BASS for linux is still in beta stage, so I can't really help here.
Sisophon2001

Post by Sisophon2001 »

This line segfaults

BASS_SampleFree(handle)

While unloading the seventh or eight sound. I think it is a bug in the lib.

Using END at the end of the main code may hide it (I deleted this in my test), because END exits without calling the destructors.

Garvan
Hedgecat

Post by Hedgecat »

Good work! This game is one of rarely FreeBasic games - with pleasant graphics and accurate gameplay.
And where you got this beautiful music playing in a backround of game? Could I see this chiptune in normal module format (not .MO3)? I can't play your 'level26.mo3'...
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Thank you :)
The menu / credits music is done by me, the ingame tune was made by ko0x who promised me to do even more chiptunes for me. You can play mo3 files using XMPlay or download the original .it file here: http://www.100kb.de/level26.it
BastetFurry

Post by BastetFurry »

Looks cools, and the usage of the Boingball* is pure win!

*:
The Boingball is more or less an Amiga logo and AMiga is always win.
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Sure, Amiga is total win. That's why it ended up being a boingball and not a simple ball. :)
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Looks nice. I love the music, and the gameplay. I did notice some flicker but it seemed to go away as I advanced upward.

Great Work!
-Vince
Conexion

Post by Conexion »

The music is great :D Graphics are fun, and the physics make it quite challenging! Looking forward to seeing more!
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Thanks a lot, your kind comments do motivate me. :) In other news, I've added gamepad support (only in a test build yet) and people told me that playing the game with a gamepad works really great. :)
Rainwulf

Post by Rainwulf »

Thank you so much for this game... its made me really get my ass into gear to get my own game into action. And its opengl too! Fantastic!!