YAGL - Yet Another Game Library (FB 0.20)

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
Conexion

YAGL - Yet Another Game Library (FB 0.20)

Post by Conexion »

YAGL - Yet Another Game Library for FreeBASIC 0.20

Hey everyone, the other day Z!re/Jattenalle introduced me to YAGL when I was working on some OpenGL, and the latest version available was for 0.16. It wouldn't compile in 0.20 (Even with -lang) so I played with it in 0.16 and really liked it. After a quick couple hours last night, I ported it to 0.20 and added 3 simple demos. Let me know what you think, and if there are any bugs, I'd be glad to address them!

Thanks!
Conexion

---

From the Website:
http://www.apiservers.com/yagl/index.php

- "Yagl is a high-performance 2D game programming library based on OpenGL and OpenAL. Its purpose is to be a fast, easy-to-use general-purpose game development tool. It is completely object-oriented and supports fast graphic blitters, easy integration with OpenGL, 3D sound, keyboard, mouse and gamepad/joystick input. Also, wrappers for C and FreeBASIC exist making it attractive for procedural languages too. Best of all, yagl is free, and released under the zlib License."

FreeBASIC\examples\libraries\YAGL\Font\font.bas

FreeBASIC\examples\libraries\YAGL\Yagl!\yagl!.bas

Download:
http://www.apiservers.com/yagl/index.ph ... e=download
Last edited by Conexion on Dec 30, 2008 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
stylin

Post by stylin »

Conexion, nice work dude. Now that it's usable in v0.20.0b I'll probably take a look at it, thanks !
Gods and Idols

Post by Gods and Idols »

Updated the official YAGL site with the download and news.

http://www.apiservers.com/yagl/
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

Is there any chance of more development on yagl?
edexter

Post by edexter »

looks like it is up for grabs what do you want it to do???? If it isn't a free server though how long would they be willing to host it?? a backup plan maybe a good idea.
Eponasoft

Post by Eponasoft »

Nice to know this is still around, though marzec abandoned it long ago.
DaveUnit

Post by DaveUnit »

I can't for the life of me find the original c++ source to yagl. Only the c and fb wrappers. Odd.
Gods and Idols

Post by Gods and Idols »

edexter wrote:looks like it is up for grabs what do you want it to do???? If it isn't a free server though how long would they be willing to host it?? a backup plan maybe a good idea.
Hosting is not an issue.
I own the server and datacenter.
It will remain forever.
stylin

Post by stylin »

DaveUnit, perhaps you're looking for this (this link still works):
http://forum.qbasicnews.com/index.php?topic=11027.0
DaveUnit

Post by DaveUnit »

the page to the source doesn't load. :[

edit: now it does! :]
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

I noticed that the Yagl docs talk about the network stuff as well, but only briefly, and the wrappers don't have commands for the network stuff, but the c++ source has a networkDevice section. Was it never finished?
Rens

Post by Rens »

Nice conversion!

But i get this error when exiting the compiled examples:

Yagl - Yet another game library: Yagl!.exe - Program error
Instruction on 0x69315966 is pointing to memory on 0x00000c0.
Read or write on memory is failed.

Maybe it's only on my system?
Conexion

Post by Conexion »

Imortis, I've noticed some of the documentation is lacking in some areas. While I'm not entirely sure of the specs of the Networking stuff in the library, I may end up writing some documentation for the FB version and it can be a little tricky to get a hold of. When this happens, I'll look into the networkDevice section and see what can be done.
Rens wrote:Nice conversion!

But i get this error when exiting the compiled examples:

Yagl - Yet another game library: Yagl!.exe - Program error
Instruction on 0x69315966 is pointing to memory on 0x00000c0.
Read or write on memory is failed.

Maybe it's only on my system?
Interesting, is it just Yagl!.exe , or is it all of the demos? I'll check out the code and make sure everything is being allocated and destroyed properly :). Thanks!
Rens

Post by Rens »

@Conexion

I get the error after all of the examples, just after exiting the program with the esc key or when the program is ended by itself.

btw. I just noticed i am using the freebasic compiler version 0.21.0 (11-10-2008), maybe that's the problem?
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

After looking through the sources a little, it appears that the network stuff wasn't ready yet. It's all been commented out.
I'm sort of curious to see if it would be possible to port the whole of yagl to FB. Not asking anyone else to try, but I may give it a go.