Artemis RPG - an old project revived (with screens + demo)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Artemis

Postby Artemis » Sep 30, 2008 16:00

For anyone interested, I posted a new version a few minutes ago. This new version (1245) has the online battle mode (woo!) that I mentioned above. Give it a try if you have someone else to play with, and let me know what you think.

New version, same link as before:
http://artemisgame.wordpress.com

If anyone wants to set up a fight with me this week, send me a PM.

Merick - I've thought about doing that, but I'm not sure which equip slot it would scroll through. You see the dilemma? Having the two equip slots will be important later on - especially against bosses.

SSC - Thanks for the comments! I agree that a laptop touchpad is awful for this game. I'm doing most of the development on a laptop now. Spend $20-30 to get a basic USB wireless mouse - you won't regret it!
Merick

Postby Merick » Sep 30, 2008 21:48

You could use a key press with it - the wheel by itself would change the weapon in first slot, while the wheel + key would change the weapon in the second slot.

Another way would be to add a some user-configurable equipment sets and have the wheel cycle through those.
Artemis

Postby Artemis » Sep 30, 2008 23:50

Merick wrote:You could use a key press with it - the wheel by itself would change the weapon in first slot, while the wheel + key would change the weapon in the second slot.

Another way would be to add a some user-configurable equipment sets and have the wheel cycle through those.

Thanks for brainstorming with me on this. Now that you mention it - I think I could just use the mouse buttons as the shortcut keys you're talking about. So if you hold the left mouse button (player starts charging "left" attack) and scroll the wheel, then it would change the left equip slot. And if you hold the right mouse button (player starts charging "right" attack") and scroll, then it would change the right equip slot.

It would look pretty cool that way, because she would be charging up a punch (for example), and then it would switch to her charging up a sword (or whatever). It would be like dialing in your attack. I'd just have to make sure it doesn't complete this "attack" when you let go of the mouse button, because it would suck to accidentally perform a spell every time you scroll to it.

Let me know what you think of this idea. Another idea would be to use no shortcut key/button at all - it would just scroll whichever weapon slot you are currently hovering the mouse over.
Stormy

Postby Stormy » Oct 01, 2008 9:33

Hi there, I really like your demo! You've done it great so far and can't wait until it's ready! :) Overall impression is great. I especially liked the graphics and music. Please continue the great work! ^^

I was working on an RPG, too, but it's now kinda frozen since fb returns so many unexplainable errors by every new release.
Imortis

Postby Imortis » Oct 01, 2008 9:38

Stormy wrote:...I was working on an RPG, too, but it's now kinda frozen since fb returns so many unexplainable errors by every new release.

If you want help deciphering those error's, I would be glad to help. I'm pretty good at finding and fixing compiler errors.

And I'm discreet, so if you don't one the code getting out, I won't tell/show a soul, nor will I use it myself.

Just an offer.
Merick

Postby Merick » Oct 01, 2008 20:59

I think that hovering the mouse over the weapon icon would be a bit awkward if you suddenly need to change a weapon at a critical moment.

The best way would probably be to just make it so that turning the wheel cancels the attack, and to wait for a "button-up" signal from the mouse before allowing another attack to start.

Return to “Projects”