DBOS v2.0(Benchmark Testing needed)

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
dabooda

DBOS v2.0(Benchmark Testing needed)

Post by dabooda »

This original post was in the FBGD forums and I realized I needed to place it here also.

If you could please download and run this tester program:

DBOS Tester Program

This is the program I used while developing this new version of the library so don't expect nothing fancy and to tell you honestly it is very busy. Mainly I need people to test the new built in configuration utility, the .spc music support and how fast it's going to run for you, even try the max resolution.

I will be releasing this version and its syntax and usage is a whole lot better than the first version, for one I got rid of all the objects, so now it's simple function calls.

Thank you for your time...DaBooda out...
Last edited by dabooda on Aug 31, 2008 17:30, edited 2 times in total.
crysstaafur

Post by crysstaafur »

Vulgar sums it up quite nice! :)
fair warning I just upgraded my vid card on my vista rig.
results:

at start:
0 points
61/60 fps:489:2690

57890 points (yay me!.. I'm a fellow lol)
61/60 fps:190:740

settings:
1024x768x32
No Vsync
Medium Priorty
Aspect Ratio Matched

I will try it using my integrated video 2morrow nite.
as well as try it on my old dev machine.
rolliebollocks

Hey there

Post by rolliebollocks »

I just tested your vulgar display of power and it functioned perfectly except for one little old thing:

I chose 1024x768x32

and windows forced quit. It smells like an array is out of bounds, but it could be my craptastic video card - which in any event should be error trapped.

Sound adjustments worked okay, but the highest possible resolution forced quit.

Hope it helps.

dave
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

I need to know one thing when it quit window's like that so I can determine where exactly to catch the error. Where you trying to set Fullscreen or Windowed? Because I have a trap for the initial resolution change itself, but I am thinking if it was in fullscreen, it might have been a hardware issue because fullscreen takes advantage of hardware that windowed can't I am thinking it might be this. So if you could which mode where you trying, was it both?

BTW, can I get your card specs, and if not that, maybe a year?

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention one thing, if your desktop resolution is set to the same thing you are trying to use, it will force it into fullscreen, instead of windowed. Let me know what resolution your desktop was at also. I appreciate the heads up on such a serious error.

DaBooda out...
crysstaafur

Post by crysstaafur »

I managed to run a few more tests before I slip off to work tonight.

(still using new vid card...)
while 1024x768x16 in fullscreen works fine, in windowed it doesn't.

In 800x600x16 windowed mode, I actually got a frame rate of 57 at the immediate startup, and then after running over a column or two of bricks
it went back up to 61.

All fullscreen modes work except for 320x240x16(this is a limit on my machine and not the code, as none of my apps can run at that res..)

All windowed mode work except for 1024x768x16.

Although I do wonder if 1024x768x16 would work if the machine it's on has a desktop higher than 1024x768.. just a thunk. brb.. ^_^

Ok. I adjusted my desktop res to 800x600 instead of 1024x768. I ran
tester#2 at 800x600x16.. and crash.
When I set the desktop res back to 1024x768, 800x600 windowed mode works fine again...

For some reason it cannot run a windowed mode session whose resolution matches the current desktop resolution.
Last edited by crysstaafur on Aug 31, 2008 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Yeah, I had the same issue with program windowed resolution = Windows resolution as crysstaafur.
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

This is because I am genius, for I fixed the bug in the library but guess what, didn't re-upload the binary...ugh. Here is the fixed version:

DBOS Tester (Fixed)

Man I feel stupid, and this is most likely what caused the crash. I tried it on my end and it works fine now, for it simply forces fullscreen when resolutions match. I am still unsure about the window's quit issue and I am thinking that might be another issue all together. Again I need more info on that bug.

DaBooda out..
crysstaafur

Post by crysstaafur »

Yeppers that fixed it on my end.
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

I retested. My resolution is identical to your highest resolution, and likewise it did try to force full screen. So it must have been there.

One more thing that might be useful, it started playing music for a couple seconds before it crashed.

Video card specs I'm not sure about. It says "intel graphics media accelerator 950" on the front of this thing. My girlfriend and I share this computer, and she won't let me run linux, which I prefer, because when I had linux running I knew what everything was.
dabooda wrote:I need to know one thing when it quit window's like that so I can determine where exactly to catch the error. Where you trying to set Fullscreen or Windowed? Because I have a trap for the initial resolution change itself, but I am thinking if it was in fullscreen, it might have been a hardware issue because fullscreen takes advantage of hardware that windowed can't I am thinking it might be this. So if you could which mode where you trying, was it both?

BTW, can I get your card specs, and if not that, maybe a year?

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention one thing, if your desktop resolution is set to the same thing you are trying to use, it will force it into fullscreen, instead of windowed. Let me know what resolution your desktop was at also. I appreciate the heads up on such a serious error.

DaBooda out...
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

It works well, except the music stops playing for me on Vista when the window loses focus. ;)

...On 1.6GHz Turion 64 X2. :)
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

KristopherWindsor wrote:It works well, except the music stops playing for me on Vista when the window loses focus. ;)
Weird, does it start back up when the window retains focus? I am actually working on an event handler to stop the music when the window loses focus, but if vista does this already...then it causes some more problems...damn it...ugh.

The video issue for rolliebollocks is as I suspected a card issue. Basically your card doesn't have enough memory to support the video buffers used for page flipping in 1024x768(which requires at least 6mb of on board memory), so I just put a check in there to keep reducing the resolution until one is found, or just remove the 1024x768 resolution from the fulscreen options, DBOS is only 320x240 anyways.. I don't know your specs but I am guessing it only has about 8mbs of ram. I will post the new version eventually but with this hurricane shooting up my butt there is no guarantees I will even have power by the end of the night. And in B.F. Egypt when you lose power it's out for at least a couple of days...ugh...I need to move.

DaBooda out...

P.S. Kris thanks for posting a screenie, but now everyone can see how bad it looks :P And we are twinkies for both having the same processor..stop that.
BastetFurry

Post by BastetFurry »

Runs under wine, with the usual complains ;)

BTW: The music stops here too when the window looses its focus, this might be an Allegro "feature".

http://www.bunkerparty.org/Bildschirmfoto-1.png (236 kbyte PNG)

EDIT:
The Specs:
AMD X2 4200+
2 GByte RAM
GeForce 8400 GS
dabooda

Post by dabooda »

Runs under wine, awesome! That rocks

I have re-worked the entire video initialization routine and here is the new version, thanks guys for debugging this with me.

DBOS Tester 3

I have changed the mode, resolution, and depth settings. Now you can only choose from fullscreen, or windowed x1 - 4. Basically fullscreen will try lowest resolution up to one that works, this is ok because dbos is 320x240 anyways. The windowed modes are actually multipliers of 320x240 and these will try and decrease until one is chosen. I also put a check in there for the fullscreen video bitmaps, because they use video card ram, all the other bitmaps are straight memory bitmaps and take less than 1meg for all of them. The depth now just simply sets to desktop depth, something I should have done to begin with.

I also added a trap that will detect focus loss and I pause the music during this cycle and puts it into a deep sleep mode, when focus is gained back the music should start playing again(it will start from the beginning, spc's don't allow me to pause them) and the program should resume. This trap is code driven, and not in the library, I just kept allegro from detecting it(of course this is optional).

I hope this solves the issues with crashing, since it will now run at minimum for fullscreen and it won't run windowed modes higher than or equal to desktop resolution. I will warn you though it will flicker pink real quick when setting windowed but this will be fixed.

DaBooda out.

P.S. This was a lot of work, and it truly sucked but anything that makes the library better is good in the end, thanks again guys for being so critical.