Brownian motion.

Post your FreeBASIC source, examples, tips and tricks here. Please don’t post code without including an explanation.
Imortis

Re: Brownian motion.

Post by Imortis »

paul_doe wrote:You're not being quite fair here, Luther. If you're personally attacked by someone every f****** time you post something, wouldn't you react in an 'uncivilized' way too?
While I understand, I have no power other than edit/remove/approve posts. I read the whole thread, I removed text that started/continued the antagonism as a short term bandage. I also reached out to the other moderators and admins for their take on further action.

deltarho[1859] wrote:If I was a moderator I would have jumped on "is the typical PB way of thinking." but you did not and it is still there.
I did not touch the "PB way of thinking" because it read, to me, as a description of an opinion. The post that was reported here was from MrSwiss, which I removed. The text responding directly to that post were also removed.

I will admit the text directed at dodicat was removed in error, and I apologize. I would prefer that all members were able to joke is such a manner with each other. I am not always familiar with the relationships between members here, unless it gets reported.

Please be patient with my miss-steps here as there is no malice behind them; only incompetence :)
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Imortis wrote:...
While I understand, I have no power other than edit/remove/approve posts. I read the whole thread, I removed text that started/continued the antagonism as a short term bandage. I also reached out to the other moderators and admins for their take on further action.
Now don't get me wrong. The real problem isn't what's been written, but the consistently fantastic demeanor (despite all the warnings/mild corrective measures taken so far).
Imortis wrote: ...
I am not always familiar with the relationships between members here, unless it gets reported.
Allow me:
  • David (deltarho[1856]) posts something. It doesn't matter the topic. It doesn't even matter if he is the OP or not.
  • MrsSwiss immediately posts some personal attack that more often than not doesn't even have anything to do with the underlying topic whatsoever.
Repeat ad nauseam.
Imortis wrote: ...
Please be patient with my miss-steps here as there is no malice behind them; only incompetence :)
Neither David nor I questioned your competence (and of course we realize there's no malice from your part). But this situation needs to be dealt with, Luther. David tried to address it in a civilized and personal way, and it didn't worked, unsurprisingly (he can provide the link to the 'conversation' if he wishes to do so).
deltarho[1859] wrote:...
We have been here before have we not?
And more times than what's really necessary.

@dodicat: I'm truly sorry. I know you don't like me (you may have your reasons), but that doesn't mean that I can just barge in and steer the conversation off-topic. But this personal level prosecution needs to come to an end.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Blimey, Paul, I did not think that you would get my cheque that quickly. Image

It is only a few weeks ago that Jeff Marshall deleted some posts by both MrSwiss and me. I was brought up to swipe back, and preferably harder than I got swiped, rather than report the assault to the 'authorities'. So, I am guilty in that respect.

There is absolutely nothing that I can do to control MrSwiss "immediately posts some personal attack that more often than not doesn't even have anything to do with the underlying topic whatsoever.". That lies squarely with the moderators.

However, that does not mean that I am bereft of any control. Paul wrote: "I (and I take it that many other members also think alike) am quite sick of this situation." I bet you are. Paul also wrote: "But this personal level prosecution needs to come to an end." So, what control do I have to give the forum a bit of peace and quiet. Simple, I will suspend myself for 90 days. Take it as an early Christmas gift to the forum.

Some may say: "Don't do that because MrSwiss will have won". I don't see this as a battle between myself and MrSwiss, I see it as a battle between myself and admin.

I have just turned off all notifications and contact methods, so I won't even know if there are further posts and have put a reminder in my email client's calendar. I will not be in the wilderness - I still post at PowerBASIC.

See you in 90 days.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Sorry to see that Imortis had to chop things out (before I got a chance to read them).
And deltarho[] is off to PB for 90 days, what is all that about?

And paul doe's . . . "@dodicat: I'm truly sorry. I know you don't like me (you may have your reasons)".
Sorry for what? Did Imortis chop that bit?
" I know you don't like me " . . . We have never even had an argument!
I would think maybe that because much of paul doe's code is OOP related and I prefer procedural that I have never got involved much.
And inkscape is not really my thing either, but I see cairo mentioned, so (paul doe), have you tried srvaldez's link to a one dll file to run cairo.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27680&hilit=cairo
(second from the page bottom by srvaldez)
So you could try your renderer without having cairo installed, just your code + one .dll in a folder, which would give many more forum members a chance to try it.
(Just a thought friend)
And thank you badidea for the link to your own Brownian motion (which I remember on seeing it again).
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

dodicat wrote:...
And paul doe's . . . "@dodicat: I'm truly sorry. I know you don't like me (you may have your reasons)".
Sorry for what? Did Imortis chop that bit?
No, it's right after the bit you quote. The apology is for barging into the thread, steering it off-topic (it was mostly off-topic anyway, but still...)
" I know you don't like me " . . . We have never even had an argument!
I would think maybe that because much of paul doe's code is OOP related and I prefer procedural that I have never got involved much.
I'm not exactly accusing you. I was merely stating a personal impression, which of course may be completely wrong (as you clearly state in your post). So, we're cool.
And inkscape is not really my thing either, but I see cairo mentioned, so (paul doe), have you tried srvaldez's link to a one dll file to run cairo.
So you could try your renderer without having cairo installed, just your code + one .dll in a folder, which would give many more forum members a chance to try it.
All that is really needed to use Cairo's rendering capabilities is one lib (cairo.dll/.so), the others have to do with Pango mostly. So indeed, all that's really needed is that one lib to run it. The real reason why I hadn't released it yet is that I don't get consistent results for all SVG files. Once I get that sorted out, I'll release it so everyone can give it a shakin'.
deltarho[1856] wrote: ...
There is absolutely nothing that I can do to control MrSwiss "immediately posts some personal attack that more often than not doesn't even have anything to do with the underlying topic whatsoever.". That lies squarely with the moderators.

However, that does not mean that I am bereft of any control. Paul wrote: "I (and I take it that many other members also think alike) am quite sick of this situation." I bet you are. Paul also wrote: "But this personal level prosecution needs to come to an end." So, what control do I have to give the forum a bit of peace and quiet. Simple, I will suspend myself for 90 days. Take it as an early Christmas gift to the forum.
I won't, because it's quite sad that you have to resort to these kind of subterfuges to retain power. You are not the problem, you see. That's why I consider things like this:
Imortis wrote:...
This is getting a bit more childish than I would like to see. If you both can't settle down, other measures may need to be taken.
A direct insult to any grown adult's intelligence. It does not take Einstein to realize that this is a pretty one sided harassment so no Luther, Kindergarten-like measures won't cut it. The thing that amuses me the most is that, right now, the message conveyed by the entire admin/mod board is: 'You can say whatever the hell you want, however the hell you want, as long as you can nail a 'valid point or two' every now and then'. And that, of course, includes harassment at a personal level. I wonder if they even realize what a sh*tty atmosphere this kind of 'tolerance' for just plain trolling creates for the rest of us.
badidea

Post by badidea »

dodicat wrote:Sorry to see that Imortis had to chop things out (before I got a chance to read them).
I did see most of the posts; they weren't very interesting. But I did miss the part where MrsSwiss showed up.
dodicat wrote:And thank you badidea for the link to your own Brownian motion (which I remember on seeing it again).
You might also like Coder Jeff's 'atom smasher': https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3167
If you take the download at the bottom of the first post and add #lang "fblite" and remove CONST FALSE = 0, TRUE = NOT FALSE it runs fine. Maybe add sleep 1 in the main loop if you have a fast computer.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

A very quiet day. Brownian motion. This topic now. Am I the only one that smells the irony?

MrSwiss' account is now on temporary suspension and I have invited him to have a conversation with me. His remarks and opinions tend to evoke an emotional response rather than a thoughtful one. In my opinion, MrSwiss is completely ignorant of the concept that how ideas are communicated are directly related to how those ideas are recieved. I do not believe it his intent to be malicious.

When speaking of tolerance, my goals (hopes) for all are simple:
- be thoughtful of how you say things -- it matters
- ignore how people say things -- it doesn't matter

This is the approach I try my best to take. It is my joy to receive all the criticism for forum, fbc, website, admin, moderator, wiki, development, and all the rest.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

badidea wrote:You might also like Coder Jeff's 'atom smasher': https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3167
If you take the download at the bottom of the first post and add #lang "fblite" and remove CONST FALSE = 0, TRUE = NOT FALSE it runs fine. Maybe add sleep 1 in the main loop if you have a fast computer.
O wow. I've forgotten about that. Sorry, there's probably a bunch of broken links there, back when I was using frontpage to publish the pages.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I have received an email from a member who sometimes prefers to bounce ideas off me rather than bring them up in the forum. He contacted me to mention coderJeff's post about MrSwiss' account now being on temporary suspension in case I "missed" it. I did miss it.

There is now no need for my self-imposed suspension and I revoke that.

I need to change my behaviour. Instead of responding, with 'all guns blazing', to a remark which I am not happy with I will try to 'bite my lip' and refer the matter to Imortis, whose position, after all, was created to do just that. Imortis made a mistake the other day, for which he later apologized, and, to be fair, it was an easy mistake to make given that there were 'bullets flying all over the place.'

With regard MrSwiss I shall make no comment.

Thanks to coderJeff for his intervention and special thanks to paul doe who wrote about things which I could not write about without appearing paranoid.

I am, needless to say, glad this matter has finally being resolved because I was not looking forward to no longer visiting for a while as, for the most part, it is a fun place to visit.
fxm

Post by fxm »

coderJeff wrote:When speaking of tolerance, my goals (hopes) for all are simple:
- be thoughtful of how you say things -- it matters
- ignore how people say things -- it doesn't matter
I think this golden rule is simple to apply when you post.
For this, this rule could perhaps be recalled at the bottom of each page of the forum or better on the "nav-tabs" bar (always visible at the screen top).

[edit]
Added the underlined text
Sentence example:
"Pay attention to how you say things and ignore how others say things"
Last edited by fxm on Nov 22, 2019 13:53, edited 5 times in total.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

@deltarho[1859]
glad you are back :-)

@fxm
I agree
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@srvaldez

Thank you.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

How about the forum's golden rule as part of the logo.

The additional text's background is slightly out but I am sure that you 'get the picture'.

srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

I like the idea
fxm

Post by fxm »

Or / And on the "nav-tabs" bar (always visible at the screen top):

Last edited by fxm on Nov 23, 2019 10:14, edited 3 times in total.