Cheat prevetion for Ubytes

Post your FreeBASIC tips and tricks here. Please don’t post your code without including an explanation.
anonymous1337

Re: Cheat prevetion for Ubytes

Postby anonymous1337 » Aug 20, 2018 23:08

srvaldez wrote:
anonymous1337 wrote:
jj2007 wrote:

with all due respespect, are you the arbitrator of wath's appropriate in this forum?

Are you?
srvaldez

Postby srvaldez » Aug 21, 2018 0:49

did I make any presumptuous statements suggesting that I was?
anonymous1337

Postby anonymous1337 » Aug 21, 2018 1:17

Then what's the point of your question?
deltarho[1859]

Postby deltarho[1859] » Aug 21, 2018 3:26

If anyone should be taken to task for deciding what is appropriate or not then that should be me because that is exactly what I did in my initial post. I still find it incredulous that someone would post code without even a hint of explanation and, to my mind, was deserving of my uncharacteristic blunt remarks.

It was not my intention to start a squabble and, it seems to me, we are now drifting well off track.

I still stand by what I wrote and how I wrote it. If anyone opposes either then they are entitled to do so and will get my full support in doing just that.
anonymous1337

Postby anonymous1337 » Aug 21, 2018 8:15

deltarho[1859] wrote:If anyone should be taken to task for deciding what is appropriate or not then that should be me because that is exactly what I did in my initial post.

Does doing something also give people the privilege of deciding whether or not something is appropriate? I guess mrminecraft can decide their posting code without comments is appropriate, then. Case closed, folks. Everybody go home.
grindstone

Postby grindstone » Aug 21, 2018 8:46

Maybe we could arrive at an agreement that posting uncommented code is permitted, but unrewarding? ;-)
fxm

Postby fxm » Aug 21, 2018 9:05

For me, the code is quite simple and the title of the thread "Cheat prevention for Ubytes" is enough for me.

But too many comments for a code not commented! :-(
There may be more useful things to do on the forum. :-)
counting_pine
Site Admin

Postby counting_pine » Aug 22, 2018 20:03

Hi, I feel like I should weigh in with a moderator hat on, since this has gotten heated to some extent.

I think most people would be offended if their post was deleted, followed (or not) by a warning.

Deltarho, you implied in your original post that you can't have your way in this forum, but it doesn't prevent your response from being offensive. (It's a little like saying: if I knew where you lived (and I don't), then I'd throw a brick through your window. It's not going to happen, but it still comes across as threatening.)
It's true that this is just your opinion, but sometimes we have opinions are best left unspoken.

I would ask you not to make posts like this in future, please. (You've said you'll give people who oppose your post your full support, and I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I hope you are willing to go agree to this either way.)

On a slightly different note, ironically, the Tips and Tricks subforum used to be subtitled: "Source-code only - please, don't post questions here." (I can't see any subtitles any more, so they may have disappeared in a forum upgrade..)

Obviously the intent wasn't that people would just post unexplained source code, but just that it was a place to share tips rather than ask for them.

But doing this as a self-defeating act. If the original poster's desire is to instruct or impress people, or just to share something cool, they are often heavily diminishing the effect by not explaining it. If they can be helped to understand that, hopefully most people would be encouraged to improve their posts going forward.
badidea

Postby badidea » Aug 22, 2018 21:15

counting_pine wrote:On a slightly different note, ironically, the Tips and Tricks subforum used to be subtitled: "Source-code only - please, don't post questions here." (I can't see any subtitles any more, so they may have disappeared in a forum upgrade..)

This still shows up on the board index as a 'popup text' on 'mouse-over' here. It does not specify however if others (than the original poster) are 'allowed' to ask questions in response. That would however be a bit weird, it not so.
deltarho[1859]

Postby deltarho[1859] » Aug 22, 2018 21:29

counting_pine wrote:I would ask you not to make posts like this in future, please.

I refrained from doing so here, earlier today. I am surprised that nobody has 'chipped' in.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”